Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › What is better than the Sennheiser Momentum for the same price???
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

What is better than the Sennheiser Momentum for the same price??? - Page 6

post #76 of 149

Ah I thought he was rating them bottom on that list of headphones...

post #77 of 149
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholars View Post
 

Sounds like you want some more aggressive headphones, Sennheisers are not very good for that sort of thing.... More of a relaxing type of sound.... Maybe something like Beyer DT880 would be good for what you want.

 

Probably a bit more yes... but i also want the ability to use them wherever i want. I thought of the amprerior but specially the hd25 because the majority of producers i like seem to use (i know this does not mean that i am going to like the though...but i have a felling... XD . Also i see the hd25's being many times recomended as a good all rounder can just not for edm but also to rock.

 
So basically what i eat is something a bit more agressive but not to much, that can handle edm and rock in a brilliant way (more livel, agressive and punchy sound) but i also want them to be versatyle and to be able to deliver a good representation of more calm stuff like florence and the machine, London Grammar, Radiohead.... stuff like that..... XD
 
So a bit more agressive and punchy but not too much... As i said the hd25's always caught my eye... Unfortunately here in Portugal it is very difficult to find them since they are not sold by the main stores.
 
There is a dj store in Oporto where i know they sell them, although i dont know if they will lend (on the store of course) me a unit just to try it a little bit.... I am going to try... :)
 
But meanwhile what do you guys think? Amperior or hd25?  

Edited by Pedro Oliveira - 9/19/13 at 5:25pm
post #78 of 149

Pedro, I've left detailed opinions on the Amperior on various threads. I've used it for all kinds of rock, metal, dance, film scores, folk, punk, a lot. I think it is a far more pleasant and exciting listen than the HD25-1. Plus, the Amperior is out of production and may become a collectible. I have not heard any V-Moda stuff or the MDR-1R. Amperior and HD25 sound nothing like the Momentum. Check and see if any of the Yamaha pro are available at stores by you. My pro 400 was $159 new on amazon and they should still have some used for $150. I'll have to try to listen to the Radiohead I have around on it. Right now I only have Creep on my player. I know that will sound clear with realistic drums and a strong bass that doesn't get in the way of other things. 

 

When I've done a/b comparison with Momentum and Amperior, I felt that the Amperior had better soundstaging, clarity, and tonality. Momentum is more for people who like stuff real rolled off and relaxed. 

 

We'll see how long this golden age of closed headphones lasts. All these companies can't be selling big numbers and the ones that are may not bother making new phones for a long time, so the Amperior may be appreciated much more in the years to come. 

 

As for closed vs open, I think the new closed phones are just about on par with a lot of the open stuff. If K701 is considered to have a top-notch soundstage, I don't think K550 or Yamaha 400 and 500 are far behind. I have a feeling the DT770 could be added there too. K701 is definitely the biggest sounding phone I ever heard. Amperior has some decent horizontal width to its soundstage. Feels wider than the Momentum or my Grado stuff.

post #79 of 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by fateicon View Post

Pedro, I've left detailed opinions on the Amperior on various threads. I've used it for all kinds of rock, metal, dance, film scores, folk, punk, a lot. I think it is a far more pleasant and exciting listen than the HD25-1. Plus, the Amperior is out of production and may become a collectible. I have not heard any V-Moda stuff or the MDR-1R. Amperior and HD25 sound nothing like the Momentum. Check and see if any of the Yamaha pro are available at stores by you. My pro 400 was $159 new on amazon and they should still have some used for $150. I'll have to try to listen to the Radiohead I have around on it. Right now I only have Creep on my player. I know that will sound clear with realistic drums and a strong bass that doesn't get in the way of other things. 

When I've done a/b comparison with Momentum and Amperior, I felt that the Amperior had better soundstaging, clarity, and tonality. Momentum is more for people who like stuff real rolled off and relaxed. 

We'll see how long this golden age of closed headphones lasts. All these companies can't be selling big numbers and the ones that are may not bother making new phones for a long time, so the Amperior may be appreciated much more in the years to come. 

As for closed vs open, I think the new closed phones are just about on par with a lot of the open stuff. If K701 is considered to have a top-notch soundstage, I don't think K550 or Yamaha 400 and 500 are far behind. I have a feeling the DT770 could be added there too. K701 is definitely the biggest sounding phone I ever heard. Amperior has some decent horizontal width to its soundstage. Feels wider than the Momentum or my Grado stuff.

What about the HD25-II?
post #80 of 149

Don't think I ever heard any version besides 25-1

post #81 of 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro Oliveira View Post
 

The Momentum are better not a doubt about about that... waht i am saying is that the leap in sq from the cal!'s to the momentum is not as big as i imagined... specially when you have the cal! 100 euros (retail price) against the 300 euros momentum... i know the momentums are better built but i am talking exclusively about sq.

 

There are good things on the mometum, guitars fo example sound much better and have more raw power on the momentums, but for example i like the more forward vocals on thecal!....

 

If this is the Senn sound do the amperior/hd 25 are that different? Maybe i should have gotten those.... XD

 

I agree. 

 
The leap between the cal/d1001/d1100 and the momentum isn't that great. It becomes greater when used at home in an area of silence so that details don't go missing. It becomes quickly clear that the momentum is much more superior with detailing and texture amongst other characteristics. 
post #82 of 149
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by CantScareMe View Post
 

 

I agree. 

 
The leap between the cal/d1001/d1100 and the momentum isn't that great. It becomes greater when used at home in an area of silence so that details don't go missing. It becomes quickly clear that the momentum is much more superior with detailing and texture amongst other characteristics. 

 

Exactly. And only a more focused listening makes you nottest that superiority but still its not a big leap (to my ears at least).

 
If i am correct all the hd25's are the same, except for the 13's wich are 600 ohms's....
 
But again the amperior and the hd25's and the amperiors.... the differences in terms of sound quality resolution and specially tonality are very noticeable among them? Or although being better does the amperior share the same sound sig as the hd25s fateicon?
 
One more thing.... I really dont know if it is true but many people praise the momentums because they say that the new driver on them ha the same resolution level as the hd600's or 650's or whatever.... XD
 
Since you have the hd25's, amperiors and the momentums... to your ears wich one has better resolution and wich is technically more advanced?
post #83 of 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro Oliveira View Post
 
One more thing.... I really dont know if it is true but many people praise the momentums because they say that the new driver on them ha the same resolution level as the hd600's or 650's or whatever.... XD
Who said that? :blink:  
They all come pretty close in terms of resolution, but not the same.
post #84 of 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by GREQ View Post

Indeed! I would still go for HD600 if I have good DAC and amp for it.
post #85 of 149
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by GREQ View Post
 

 

A couple of guys here told me they were like a mini hd600... XD about the resolution it was a guy in a portuguese forum... once again please keep in mind i am just quoting what i've been told so since i never tried any high end headphones (the momentums are the best i ever tryed) i dont have a clue if this is even close to being true.... XD

 

Back to resolution... but to your ears wich is the better headphone GREQ? (among the hd25's, amperiors and momentums of course...)

post #86 of 149

to me the Amperior is a pretty big upgrade. But it is more forward than the HD25. It has more mids, sounds fuller. I would just buy it as it's out of production and you may not have a good opportunity to get it later.

post #87 of 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by fateicon View Post
 

to me the Amperior is a pretty big upgrade. But it is more forward than the HD25. It has more mids, sounds fuller. I would just buy it as it's out of production and you may not have a good opportunity to get it later.

 

Didn't know it's out of production. I'm behind the times nowadays..

post #88 of 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro Oliveira View Post
 

 

Exactly. And only a more focused listening makes you nottest that superiority but still its not a big leap (to my ears at least).

 
If i am correct all the hd25's are the same, except for the 13's wich are 600 ohms's....
 
But again the amperior and the hd25's and the amperiors.... the differences in terms of sound quality resolution and specially tonality are very noticeable among them? Or although being better does the amperior share the same sound sig as the hd25s fateicon?
 
One more thing.... I really dont know if it is true but many people praise the momentums because they say that the new driver on them ha the same resolution level as the hd600's or 650's or whatever.... XD
 
Since you have the hd25's, amperiors and the momentums... to your ears wich one has better resolution and wich is technically more advanced?

 

I think the hd25 spII are different and no where near as good as the standard hd25. The amperior is closer to the hd25 than different, though it definitely sounded better to my ears. If I was buying the hd25 from scratch I would instead get the amperior. 
 
I wouldn't say the momentum is of the same resolution or technicalities of the hd650. I mean a properly driven hd650 (from a graham slee UL amp for example) reaches very close to the beyer T1 and is pretty much on the level of a d7k. Same can't be said of the momentum IMO.
post #89 of 149

Actually, Sennheiser is about to release HD26

 

Ckeck it out here:

 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lg65cMMlCCE

 

It looks like it is the same high quality sound, but with a lot more features and improvements


Edited by DeeToti - 9/20/13 at 6:24pm
post #90 of 149
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by fateicon View Post
 

to me the Amperior is a pretty big upgrade. But it is more forward than the HD25. It has more mids, sounds fuller. I would just buy it as it's out of production and you may not have a good opportunity to get it later.

 

Amperior versus momentum in terms of resolution and sound definition?

 
Theres is a user selling the amperior here for 140 pounds they seem to be in outstanding condition but i just can not afford them right now, specially since i bought the momentum 2 weeks ago... I could always sell the momentums for the price i bought them easily (160 euros) but i would still like to compare the two first.... But my biggest fear is if i want to keep them both...
 
I have pretty cool deals hanging right now... Good deals only show up when you dont want them... XDFor example i can get a pair of m50's right now for 60 euros i know they are as good as hd25's or amperiors but it is still a pretty good price....

Edited by Pedro Oliveira - 9/20/13 at 7:55pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › What is better than the Sennheiser Momentum for the same price???