Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › Hello, newbie seeking answers!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Hello, newbie seeking answers! - Page 3

post #31 of 77
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by GearMe View Post

 

Hmmm -- glad you like it.  You've caused a problem for me though, as I was thinking of getting a FiiO X3 and may have to consider an iPod Touch...which goes against every fiber of my being.

 

So, any chance you could give a brief description of the before & after sound signature of the 535 to us?

 

Why? Do you hate Apple's product?

 

This Audyssey app is really good, I mean seriously, this is not a gimmick. Don't be fooled by the $0.99 price tag. Find someone with an iOS device, pay him/her a dollar to download this app and test it with your headphone (make sure it is supported). Like I said earlier, the sound is a night and day difference, not a placebo effect.

 

I believe this is a software DSP that calibrates the headphone according to their profile, it's not just a simple equalizer. I have an equalizer, it doesn't sound even close to this good. You can easily do an A/B test with this app by turning it on or off. With this on, the sound is cleaner, everything sounds 'tighter' with more clarity. The horrible horn-sounding mid is gone, bass is tight and audible, and best of all no treble rolled off here! It may even make the 535 sounds too bright (!!!), but you can use the high/low slider to warm the sound. The high/low is basically warm/cool adjustment to suit your taste, but I find it perfect at neutral. There is also the usual bass/treble setting, which is good for adding an extra bass to the 535. Now, here's the con of this app: you will not be able to use the Shure 535 again without it. When I turned off the  calibration, it was shocking! I can't believe the 535 can sound so bad, it's like listening to AM radio. The sound is noisy, and music is just 'dirty' and 'messy', that's the best I can describe it. Don't just take my word for it, you need to try it yourself. I think all 535 users with an iOS devices should do themselves a favour by downloading this app, it's the best one dollar you can spend! I don't think even a $1000 amp can make your 535 should this good.


Edited by pianissimos - 9/3/13 at 1:36am
post #32 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by pianissimos View Post

Sorry I was referring to the Audyssey App.

 

You guys need to try this app!! Turning it on and off makes a day and night difference with the Shure 535. This is the best $0.99 I spent in my life! It even has this high/low and bass/treble adjustment setting feature, but it sounds fine without using them. I even think the interface is better looking than the built-in iOS music app. I am so happy with the sound of my Shure now that I consider deferring other headphones purchase... there's no DT 990 support yet, only 770. I can see AKG K550 and Sennheiser Momentum in there though.

Accudio's a long-time competitor, and if you've heard of Audessey, you would have most likely heard of Accudio. There are far more headphone calibrations there than Audessey ever will, unless they catch up quickly...which they're not. They have calibrations catering to over 300 pairs, and more are on the way.

 

Accudio also runs FLAC if you're into that sort of thing. Problem is, there are some issues on the app on slower devices, but anything with the power of an iPhone 3GS or better should handle it just fine without lag.

 

I'm surprised you didn't know about this...Audessey may have a better UI, but it isn't all that better. If you don't mind the $4.99 price tag, then you're good.

 

Quote:
Weird technology to me xD but thanks for the sharing!

Billson biggrin.gif

Well, a simple term for that is a convolver.  For that, you might want to talk to Joe Bloggs, who has lots of experience on this subject.


Edited by thatBeatsguy - 9/3/13 at 1:44am
post #33 of 77
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatBeatsguy View Post

Accudio's a long-time competitor, and if you've heard of Audessey, you would have most likely heard of Accudio. There are far more headphone calibrations there than Audessey ever will, unless they catch up quickly...which they're not. They have calibrations catering to over 300 pairs, and more are on the way.

 

Accudio also runs FLAC if you're into that sort of thing. Problem is, there are some issues on the app on slower devices, but anything with the power of an iPhone 3GS or better should handle it just fine without lag.

 

I'm surprised you didn't know about this...Audessey may have a better UI, but it isn't all that better. If you don't mind the $4.99 price tag, then you're good.

 

Well, a simple term for that is a convolver.  For that, you might want to talk to Joe Bloggs, who has lots of experience on this subject.

 

Hey thanks! I am going to download and compare it. $5 is nothing considering that I am going to spend hundreds getting a new headphone and amp! 

post #34 of 77
Thanks for the info!

Billson smily_headphones1.gif
post #35 of 77
Thread Starter 

Ok I have downloaded and tested Accudio, comparing it with Audyssey it doesn't sounds as good. I switch between these 2 apps playing the same song, Audyssey just sounds more refined and clean, with an authentic hifi sound to it. Accudio is not bad but just sounds like regular EQed sound.

 

You can download a free version of Accudio for testing purposes. It does have A LOT of headphones supported and the headphone simulation alone is worth a try. I mean, people are always trying to imagine what a headphone sounds like from the reviews... here's an app that let you hear the signature of the headphone: Hearing is worth a thousand words. Now I know how harsh AKG's K701's treble is and how muffled LCD2 sounds, won't be buying these 2 for sure. Oh and BD's T90 doesn't sounds like T1 at all, T1 is more upfront. bigsmile_face.gif


Edited by pianissimos - 9/3/13 at 7:01am
post #36 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by pianissimos View Post

Ok I have downloaded and tested Accudio, comparing it with Audyssey it doesn't sounds as good. I switch between these 2 apps playing the same song, Audyssey just sounds more refined and clean, with an authentic hifi sound to it. Accudio is not bad but just sounds like regular EQed sound.

 

You can download a free version of Accudio for testing purposes. It does have A LOT of headphones supported and the headphone simulation alone is worth a try. 

Well, like what Rin Choi once posted on an article of his, Accudio's reference EQ isn't as good as anything else.

 

Quote:
I mean, people are always trying to imagine what a headphone sounds like from the reviews... here's an app that let you hear the signature of the headphone: Hearing is worth a thousand words. Now I know how harsh AKG's K701's treble is and how muffled LCD2 sounds, won't be buying these 2 for sure. Oh and BD's T90 doesn't sounds like T1 at all, T1 is more upfront. bigsmile_face.gif

   Honestly, I tried that myself, but don't take what Accudio is offering you. You will never know what a headphones osunds like using Accudio or even Audessey. NEVER.

 

   The reason for this is physics. You would have to own the real thing in order to experience its sound. The K701 sounds harsh because that was what Accudio's EQ set it. The LCD-2 sounds muffled because of your headphones (it sounds quite clear in mine). Plus, the LCD-2 is an open headphone. The physics is what gives headphones that aural charm that couldn't be described in words. It's the physics that give the LCD-2 its world-class clarity and visceral bass. It's the physics that give the HD800 its power to reveal things unheard of in other headphones. You already know what I mean by now.

 

   Even if you have the flattest hedaphones in the world, you will never be able to truly replicate the sound signature of any headphone, since Accudio's settings were designed to flatten the sound of the actual hedaphones further. So what I'm saying is: don't trust Accudio to do what you're trying to do. You'll never get anywhere. Trust me.

post #37 of 77

Double post!

post #38 of 77
Thread Starter 

Damn, I actually like the simulated sound of T90 and Hifiman 500.

 

Isn't there an acoustic physics synthesizer technology? Maybe it can be use for simulating the physical design of the phone. biggrin.gif

post #39 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by pianissimos View Post

Damn, I actually like the simulated sound of T90 and Hifiman 500.

 

Isn't there an acoustic physics synthesizer technology? Maybe it can be use for simulating the physical design of the phone. biggrin.gif

Like Steven Tyler's line from one of Aerosmith's famous songs, "Dream on!"

 

I don't know if that's even theoretically possible. Synthesized acoustic physics is different from actual acoustic phsyics -- if ever synthesis is achieved, it would sound unnatural and artificial. And already unnatural-sounding 'phones would sound worse. 

 

If, and only if, acoustic physics synthesis could be perfected, it will basically make Summit-Fi 'phones useless. This synthesizing software would have to cost hundreds of thousands of dollars since you're basically owning all of the headphones on the planet.

post #40 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatBeatsguy View Post

Well, like what Rin Choi once posted on an article of his, Accudio's reference EQ isn't as good as anything else.

 

   Honestly, I tried that myself, but don't take what Accudio is offering you. You will never know what a headphones osunds like using Accudio or even Audessey. NEVER.

 

   The reason for this is physics. You would have to own the real thing in order to experience its sound. The K701 sounds harsh because that was what Accudio's EQ set it. The LCD-2 sounds muffled because of your headphones (it sounds quite clear in mine). Plus, the LCD-2 is an open headphone. The physics is what gives headphones that aural charm that couldn't be described in words. It's the physics that give the LCD-2 its world-class clarity and visceral bass. It's the physics that give the HD800 its power to reveal things unheard of in other headphones. You already know what I mean by now.

 

   Even if you have the flattest hedaphones in the world, you will never be able to truly replicate the sound signature of any headphone, since Accudio's settings were designed to flatten the sound of the actual hedaphones further. So what I'm saying is: don't trust Accudio to do what you're trying to do. You'll never get anywhere. Trust me.

EXACTLY there is NO eq for that matches how physical hardware colors sound. I DOES NOT EXIST. Some very well informed man tried to tell me you can EQ the HIFIMAN sound into any dap... we ended the discussion with "an agreement to disagree" 

 

The future might hold "simulated" headphones one day but for now if you want the Hifiman He 500 sound or the T90 sound... BUY THE HARD WARE ... 


Edited by Mshenay - 9/3/13 at 12:34pm
post #41 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by pianissimos View Post

Damn, I actually like the simulated sound of T90 and Hifiman 500.

 

Isn't there an acoustic physics synthesizer technology? Maybe it can be use for simulating the physical design of the phone. biggrin.gif

 

And that's the winning phrase -- "Damn, I actually like..."

 

Trust your ears!...because everybody hears a little differently, likes a certain mix of music genres, and becomes an audiophile for a variety of reasons -- love of music, love of technology, love of collecting high-tech toys...or all of the above.  But in the end, when you listen to that track on whatever gear it is, and you say 'Damn' or your head's bopping, toe's tapping, etc...it just doesn't get any better!

 

FWIW - on the Apple thing; just don't like the concept of closed systems with controlled marketing, limited features/functionality, and the higher prices that usually come with all that.  Nonetheless, we do have several iWhatevers in our house.   And this may just make me rethink my Media Player decision   :-)

post #42 of 77
Thread Starter 

It's called digital waveguide synthesis: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_waveguide_synthesis

 

It has been used for synthesizing acoustic musical instruments for more than a decade. Maybe someone should applied this to headphones, it may not sound 100% accurate but as long as it gives an impression of the sound signature it will be good enough for me. I am not saying we should use this to replace real headphones, but it can be a valuable guide for previewing the sound before buying them.

post #43 of 77
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by GearMe View Post
 

 

FWIW - on the Apple thing; just don't like the concept of closed systems with controlled marketing, limited features/functionality, and the higher prices that usually come with all that.  Nonetheless, we do have several iWhatevers in our house.   And this may just make me rethink my Media Player decision   :-)

 

True, but the best apps are all on iOS, and they are cheap. Piracy is rampant on Android and developers are reluctant to make apps for that platform.

post #44 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by pianissimos View Post

True, but the best apps are all on iOS, and they are cheap. Piracy is rampant on Android and developers are reluctant to make apps for that platform.
My idea between these two OS is, Android for surfing the internet (with their Flash player) and iOS for apps xD My family is not a fan of Android so I do not get to own any but I actually like Android myself and Windows phone! XD

Billson smily_headphones1.gif
post #45 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillsonChang007 View Post


My idea between these two OS is, Android for surfing the internet (with their Flash player) and iOS for apps xD My family is not a fan of Android so I do not get to own any but I actually like Android myself and Windows phone! XD

Billson smily_headphones1.gif

I totally agree with you Billson. However, I do like Android because there are so many apps available for free. Oh yeah, did I forget to mention customization options that could make any Apple device cry?

 

Still, I'm an iOS fan. I love the apps, paid or not. Then you have jailbreaking and you get to open up a whole new world...

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › Hello, newbie seeking answers!