I'm looking to buy a pair of open backed cans probably around 150 with a bit of leeway for price. I'd like to be able to use them on a laptop so preferably no amp necessary. I also would like them to be pretty comfortable ( I have the Brainwavz HM5 and I can wear them for hours). Any suggestions, please let me know. I've already taken a look at some of the big names like the K701/702 and some AT phones but they don't necessarily work as well with the music I like (Trance/electro mainly but also indie/rock/metal).
- productAKG K 701 Whitetagged by nightmancometh, 11/20/14
- productAKG K 702 Blacktagged by nightmancometh, 11/20/14
- productSR80i - Prestige Series Open Back Dynamic On Ear Headphonestagged by nightmancometh, 11/20/14
Related Forum Threads
- New AKG K701 (Without Bumps - Original Manufactured Condition from AKG) Last post on 10/29/14 at 7:07am in Headphones (full-size)
- Looking for a new pair of headphones! Last post on 9/7/14 at 5:54am in Headphones (full-size)
- Headamp for the HD650, K712, maybe HD800 Last post on 5/3/14 at 4:10am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- looking to get my very first headphones, im thinking AKG K701 / AKG K702, but... Last post on 8/10/13 at 9:01am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- SOLD. AKG Q701 / K702 stock cable - Lime Green Color - 3 pin mini XLR Last post on 5/23/13 at 7:14pm in Cables, Speakers, Tweaks, Accessories For Sale / Trade
I have owned my HD600 for 12-15 years now. I had to change headband and earpad de to weare after 10 years. I believe the Sennheiser HD600 is my best purchase EVER no matter what! I am extremely...
Great headphones. Seriously, I'm really impresed with the detailed and excellent natural balanced sound that this unit delivers. I currently own the K712 pro and the K702 65th Anniversary Edition,...
The new iteration of the Brainwavz R3 is an intriguing earphone. They’re large earphones, each side containing two dynamic drivers in big pill shaped aluminium housings. They currently retail for...
INTRODUCTION First of all, a big THANK YOU to Michael Lin from FIDUE for providing the review unit. It is much appreciated, and my humble ears are feeling so incredibly honoured to be...
iBasso D-Zero MKII Review iBasso is a very common name out there on the forums now, with their DX50 and DX90 gaining a rather large user base. I have reviewed both the DX50 and DX90 and I found...
Open backed headphones recommendation - Would prefer no amp.
Gear mentioned in this thread:
To me they are about 7/10 for comfort, but 10/10 for sound (at the price). The pads are replaceable, so you can customize it if you want. Senn HD414 pads are comfy with Grados but they're bright yellow :)
The comfiest cans I've heard for under $200 are Beyerdynamics, but you'll need an amp for those (unless you get the 32ohm version, which I can't speak for).
I would also throw in a recommendation for the AKG K240 Studio. Something else to take a look at. They are easily driven from a laptop, and are the most comfortable headphones I've worn to date. I was able to wear them for hours at a time with not one bit of discomfort. They are priced a bit under what you listed, they're closer in price to the SR-80i that was mentioned earlier.
As for your music, honestly, I enjoyed them with everything, but I can see where some might have issues recommending them for trance or electronic music, although with the bit I listen to I enjoyed them thoroughly. As for rock/metal/those genres, they easily fit the bill, in my opinion. I love those headphones for those genres.
As always, these are just my observations and experiences, and yours may differ.
For just slightly more, you can get the Sony MDR MA900's.
They've been receiving top reviews for their sound and their comfort,
justifiably. They're the "star of the show" for open headphones in
that price range, IMO.
The Audio Technica ATH AD900's are priced similarly and are
also quite good - though I think the Sony's are better.
Bear in mind, though, that open headphones may not give you
all the slam and depth in the bass that you get from closed headphones.
But, of course, open headphones do have other advantages.
I've been doing some reading lately and figure that if my HM5 are going to hold me over for closed, I might as well take a step up for open cans. Specifically I've had my eye on the HE-300 and HE-400. Anybody have any input as far as how those are?
I read that they're "dark" but I don't know how much of a concern that would be. I do like my HM5 though and I feel they sound quite neutral. Any input is welcome and appreciated.
- Open backed headphones recommendation - Would prefer no amp.
- › taylor swift? 19 seconds ago
- › Review of Hidizs AP100 portable HiFi music player 1 minute ago
- › New Release! The K7XX Massdrop First Edition - an exclusive from... 1 minute ago
- › Noble Audio - the Wizard returns! 2 minutes ago
- › iBasso DX90. Dual Sabre, 1st page: Downloads, info & instructions-... 2 minutes ago
- › New Shure SE215 - First Impressions 2 minutes ago
- › NEW! SONY NWZ-A10 Series Walkman. Micro SD Card Slot! 3 minutes ago
- › The Astell & Kern AK240 3 minutes ago
- › Woo Audio 6 vs. Bottlehead Crack + Speedball vs. Schiit Lyr 1/2 vs.... 4 minutes ago
- › Fiio X5 Thread - info updated on Jan 17th 2014 5 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser HD 600 by paara
- › AKG K702 65th Anniversary Edition by gabrielnorena
- › Brainwavz R3 Revised Edition by lecky
- › FIDUE A71 Dual Dynamic Drivers Hi-Fi Earphones by djvkool
- › iBasso Audio D-Zero MK2 by lin0003
- › Audio Technica ATH-A900X | Art Monitor Headphones (Japan Import) by Mink
- › Brainwavz S0 In-Ear Headphones by mark2410
- › Creative Sound Blaster E3 Headphone Amplifier by ClieOS
- › Blue Microphones Mo-Fi Powered High-Fidelity Headphones with... by MacedonianHero
- › Basic K3 by nino9
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)