I'm looking to buy a pair of open backed cans probably around 150 with a bit of leeway for price. I'd like to be able to use them on a laptop so preferably no amp necessary. I also would like them to be pretty comfortable ( I have the Brainwavz HM5 and I can wear them for hours). Any suggestions, please let me know. I've already taken a look at some of the big names like the K701/702 and some AT phones but they don't necessarily work as well with the music I like (Trance/electro mainly but also indie/rock/metal).
- productAKG K 701 Whitetagged by nightmancometh, 11/20/14
- productAKG K 702 Blacktagged by nightmancometh, 11/20/14
- productSR80i - Prestige Series Open Back Dynamic On Ear Headphonestagged by nightmancometh, 11/20/14
Related Forum Threads
- New AKG K701 (Without Bumps - Original Manufactured Condition from AKG) Last post on 10/29/14 at 7:07am in Headphones (full-size)
- Looking for a new pair of headphones! Last post on 9/7/14 at 5:54am in Headphones (full-size)
- Headamp for the HD650, K712, maybe HD800 Last post on 5/3/14 at 4:10am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- looking to get my very first headphones, im thinking AKG K701 / AKG K702, but... Last post on 8/10/13 at 9:01am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- SOLD. AKG Q701 / K702 stock cable - Lime Green Color - 3 pin mini XLR Last post on 5/23/13 at 7:14pm in Cables, Speakers, Tweaks, Accessories For Sale / Trade
Open backed headphones recommendation - Would prefer no amp.
Gear mentioned in this thread:
To me they are about 7/10 for comfort, but 10/10 for sound (at the price). The pads are replaceable, so you can customize it if you want. Senn HD414 pads are comfy with Grados but they're bright yellow :)
The comfiest cans I've heard for under $200 are Beyerdynamics, but you'll need an amp for those (unless you get the 32ohm version, which I can't speak for).
I would also throw in a recommendation for the AKG K240 Studio. Something else to take a look at. They are easily driven from a laptop, and are the most comfortable headphones I've worn to date. I was able to wear them for hours at a time with not one bit of discomfort. They are priced a bit under what you listed, they're closer in price to the SR-80i that was mentioned earlier.
As for your music, honestly, I enjoyed them with everything, but I can see where some might have issues recommending them for trance or electronic music, although with the bit I listen to I enjoyed them thoroughly. As for rock/metal/those genres, they easily fit the bill, in my opinion. I love those headphones for those genres.
As always, these are just my observations and experiences, and yours may differ.
For just slightly more, you can get the Sony MDR MA900's.
They've been receiving top reviews for their sound and their comfort,
justifiably. They're the "star of the show" for open headphones in
that price range, IMO.
The Audio Technica ATH AD900's are priced similarly and are
also quite good - though I think the Sony's are better.
Bear in mind, though, that open headphones may not give you
all the slam and depth in the bass that you get from closed headphones.
But, of course, open headphones do have other advantages.
I've been doing some reading lately and figure that if my HM5 are going to hold me over for closed, I might as well take a step up for open cans. Specifically I've had my eye on the HE-300 and HE-400. Anybody have any input as far as how those are?
I read that they're "dark" but I don't know how much of a concern that would be. I do like my HM5 though and I feel they sound quite neutral. Any input is welcome and appreciated.
- Open backed headphones recommendation - Would prefer no amp.
- › [FS][CONUS] Fischer FA-003 TI, Mad Dogs 3.2, Alpha Dogs (latest... 30 seconds ago
- › iBasso DX90. Dual Sabre, 1st page: Downloads, info & instructions-... 33 seconds ago
- › The iBasso DX50 Thread - Latest firmware: 1.5.0 2 minutes ago
- › Dynamic range compression of classical music. 2 minutes ago
- › Audio-Gd Master 7 - Discrete Fully Balanced DAC (PCM1704) 3 minutes ago
- › iFi iDSD Micro DSD512 / PCM768 DAC and Headphone Amp. Impressions,... 3 minutes ago
- › Shure SE846 Impressions Thread 3 minutes ago
- › Burson Conductor - DAC/amp successor to the HA-160D 4 minutes ago
- › New Release! The K7XX Massdrop First Edition - an exclusive from... 4 minutes ago
- › SOLD: 20-25hrs NVX EX10S Dynamic IEMS (VSonic VR06 rebrands) 4 minutes ago
- › Meridian Explorer by dnun8086
- › Audio Technica ATH-WS55i Portable Headphones with Microphone for... by oThatsEric
- › Brainwavz R3 Revised Edition by Kamakahah
- › FiiO X1 Ultraportable Hi-Res DAP by ClieOS
- › HiFiMAN HE-300 by Willy 2 Streams
- › Brainwavz HM5 Velor Memory Foam Replacements Earpads - Suitable For... by JoeDoe
- › TTPOD T1-E High Definition Dual Dynamic Professional In-ear Earphone by audiobean
- › Creative Aurvana Live! 2 Headset with 40mm Drivers and In-Line Mic by donnot
- › Zynsonix Trebuchet HiFiMan Balanced Cable by BeatsWork
- › Mitsubishi LT-30 by Golden Ears
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)