I'm looking to buy a pair of open backed cans probably around 150 with a bit of leeway for price. I'd like to be able to use them on a laptop so preferably no amp necessary. I also would like them to be pretty comfortable ( I have the Brainwavz HM5 and I can wear them for hours). Any suggestions, please let me know. I've already taken a look at some of the big names like the K701/702 and some AT phones but they don't necessarily work as well with the music I like (Trance/electro mainly but also indie/rock/metal).
- productAKG K 701 Whitetagged by nightmancometh, 11/20/14
- productAKG K 702 Blacktagged by nightmancometh, 11/20/14
- productSR80i - Prestige Series Open Back Dynamic On Ear Headphonestagged by nightmancometh, 11/20/14
Related Forum Threads
- New AKG K701 (Without Bumps - Original Manufactured Condition from AKG) Last post on 10/29/14 at 7:07am in Headphones (full-size)
- Looking for a new pair of headphones! Last post on 9/7/14 at 5:54am in Headphones (full-size)
- Headamp for the HD650, K712, maybe HD800 Last post on 5/3/14 at 4:10am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- looking to get my very first headphones, im thinking AKG K701 / AKG K702, but... Last post on 8/10/13 at 9:01am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- SOLD. AKG Q701 / K702 stock cable - Lime Green Color - 3 pin mini XLR Last post on 5/23/13 at 7:14pm in Cables, Speakers, Tweaks, Accessories For Sale / Trade
In two words, hugely disappointing. I was looking for an open-back 'phone to use as an alternative to my AKG 550s and having owned Sennheiser HD 600s and AKG K701s previously, I thought I give...
Thinksound is a company that’s focussed on sustainable and environmentally conscious headphones. In fact, they even offer a recycling program for headphones with a bonus if you recycle their...
Brainwavz AP001 surely has the cute factor, from its small size and unique contemporary design. But that's for the look. As for features, we might wonder, why Brainwavz designed a...
Review of the CEntrance HiFi M8 LX LX model = Optical input The CEntrance HiFi M8 has a lot of connection and feature combinations. This is the LX / XLR version. What is the...
Before I start my review, I wold like to Thank Penon Audio for providing me with a review loaner of DITA Audio The Answer headphones in exchange for my honest opinion. I tested and reviewed a...
Open backed headphones recommendation - Would prefer no amp.
Gear mentioned in this thread:
To me they are about 7/10 for comfort, but 10/10 for sound (at the price). The pads are replaceable, so you can customize it if you want. Senn HD414 pads are comfy with Grados but they're bright yellow :)
The comfiest cans I've heard for under $200 are Beyerdynamics, but you'll need an amp for those (unless you get the 32ohm version, which I can't speak for).
I would also throw in a recommendation for the AKG K240 Studio. Something else to take a look at. They are easily driven from a laptop, and are the most comfortable headphones I've worn to date. I was able to wear them for hours at a time with not one bit of discomfort. They are priced a bit under what you listed, they're closer in price to the SR-80i that was mentioned earlier.
As for your music, honestly, I enjoyed them with everything, but I can see where some might have issues recommending them for trance or electronic music, although with the bit I listen to I enjoyed them thoroughly. As for rock/metal/those genres, they easily fit the bill, in my opinion. I love those headphones for those genres.
As always, these are just my observations and experiences, and yours may differ.
For just slightly more, you can get the Sony MDR MA900's.
They've been receiving top reviews for their sound and their comfort,
justifiably. They're the "star of the show" for open headphones in
that price range, IMO.
The Audio Technica ATH AD900's are priced similarly and are
also quite good - though I think the Sony's are better.
Bear in mind, though, that open headphones may not give you
all the slam and depth in the bass that you get from closed headphones.
But, of course, open headphones do have other advantages.
I've been doing some reading lately and figure that if my HM5 are going to hold me over for closed, I might as well take a step up for open cans. Specifically I've had my eye on the HE-300 and HE-400. Anybody have any input as far as how those are?
I read that they're "dark" but I don't know how much of a concern that would be. I do like my HM5 though and I feel they sound quite neutral. Any input is welcome and appreciated.
- Open backed headphones recommendation - Would prefer no amp.
- › Audio-Gd Master 7 - Discrete Fully Balanced DAC (PCM1704) 18 seconds ago
- › Pictures of Your *Budget-Fi* Portable Rig (< $200) 2 minutes ago
- › New Schiit! Ragnarok and Yggdrasil 2 minutes ago
- › Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread 2 minutes ago
- › HiFiMAN HE-400 2 minutes ago
- › Official Ipod Video / Classic 5g+5.5g+6g+6.5g+7g SSD Mod thread 2 minutes ago
- › Looking for an Amp between 100€ and 300€, and other stuff :D 3 minutes ago
- › Fiio X5 Thread - info updated on Jan 17th 2014 6 minutes ago
- › The Headphone Driver Pics Thread 7 minutes ago
- › Pics of Headphones... Rules: ONE PIC. NO WORDS! 8 minutes ago
- › AKG K 702 Headphones by twelvebears
- › Beyerdynamic T90 Premium Stereo Headphone by twelvebears
- › thinksound on1 Supra-Aural On-Ear Monitor Wooden Headphone by Loquah
- › Brainwavz AP001 Portable Headphone Amplifier by earfonia
- › CEntrance HiFi-M8 by CasperBxl
- › DITA Audio The Answer by twister6
- › Questyle CMA800i - integrated DAC, headphone amp, and preamp by project86
- › InEar StageDiver SD-3 by Krisman
- › AKG K845 Bluetooth Over-Ear Headphones by cs098
- › KEF M200 Hi-Fi In-Ear Headphones, Aluminum/Black by bodopopa
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)