or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › The iBasso DX50 Thread - Latest firmware: 1.9.4 - January 24, 2016
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The iBasso DX50 Thread - Latest firmware: 1.9.4 - January 24, 2016 - Page 643

post #9631 of 18426
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilfurbal View Post
 

 

 

It doesn't to be either anymore.  EQ turned off seems to be more around everything on 7.  12 is too loud, but it is just a nudge louder than 7 when turned off.  7 might be fairly accurate to my ears.

 

However when the EQ is off there is more bass.  For whatever reason the bass goes up to some unknown variable vs having the EQ on with everything set to the same number.

 

Edit : While I usually have always used previous firmware versions with the EQ on with some custom setting, I seem to be unable to figure out what the default EQ is for the unit when it's turned off.  It clearly not straight across.  When using the EQ the settings sound the same when set the same as they were on previous firmware, but you can expand above and below 6 to 12.  But EQ off no longer appears to sound like 6 straight across like it use to.

 

Edit #2 : K, so anyone who claims the 'stock' EQ setting sounds different than previous firmware I have to agree.  It is not the same.  EQ on with everything set to +6 sounds to me like previous firmware versions with the EQ turned off though.

 

You can use the EQ to turn the bass , mids and treble to higher levels than the all previous firmware versions though.  7 and higher creates for sound signatures not even possible before.  I like this improved EQ.  Lets me actually give the treble a boost if I so desire.  Something not really possible before.

I agree with what you're saying.

With 1.2.5 and 1.2.6 i liked the SQ with EQ off but with 1.2.7 the soundstage is slightly smaller and vocals are set back slightly (which i don't like) and coupled with the increase in the lower frequencies does soften the sound for me

But as you have said,.in 1.2.7, there is more scope for adjustment,it just means more playing with the sliders to get the sound i want.

post #9632 of 18426
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramilacaponi View Post
 

I only ask for .cue support

Well, full screen album art would be nice also.

 

There is .cue support already… the .cue file has to be in the same folder, and should have the same name as the main file, and the DX50 accesses, singly, the different songs which make up the album. For me, it definitely works with both flac and ape files.

post #9633 of 18426
Quote:
Originally Posted by musicheaven View Post
 


I does not make sense to me I would have asked them some clarifications. TBH they are pretty good answering questions but if one makes this kind of statement that's worth the explanation.

Thanks musicheavan. i have emailed back asking for clarification.

As people have had many varied experiences with different firmware update sound signatures I asked if they could [even technically] be offered for users to choose from. If possible, then I would have thought everyone would be happy ? :)

post #9634 of 18426
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jon parker View Post

Thanks musicheavan. i have emailed back asking for clarification.
As people have had many varied experiences with different firmware update sound signatures I asked if they could [even technically] be offered for users to choose from. If possible, then I would have thought everyone would be happy ? smily_headphones1.gif

It would be nice if they could control it but my feeling is they'll probably come around to tell you that they don't do anything. Assuming they can, the best questions to ask them is do they control the dac or do they have some external digital filters that they control from the firmware? Basically asking them what are the ways they could influence the analog output of the player either directly or indirectly. Let's hope that they'll be honest enough to tell you.
post #9635 of 18426
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorensiim View Post

If you had limited time to work on the FW, which features would you focus on?
I'd work on the features and functions advertised on the product page since, you know, truth in advertising and all that. Ogg Vorbis is listed as a supported media format. Custom wallpapers isn't on the product page at all. That said, if I find myself stuck on fixing a bug or misfeature from the product page then I'd probably whip up something simple and cute like the custom wallpapers just to give my mind a break from hard core problem solving. Then again, that's why I'm a sysadmin and not a programmer. Then again, that's why I'm a sysadmin and not in marketing. smily_headphones1.gif

@pnix isn't the only one complaining about it. I am, too. I'm just not so in anyone's face about it. Vorbis isn't especially popular to begin with, not that there's anything wrong with it, just that it isn't common in the wild outside of certain circles. Having Vorbis at all is far more than most other DAP makers offer so I'm not complaining too loudly about the incomplete support.
post #9636 of 18426
Thread Starter 
Even this little thing can drive my HD600, kind a shameful for the dap builder, no screen and yet I can navigate this thing even in the dark biggrin.gif

post #9637 of 18426
Wow ibasso really watch this thread.
But all we want is to gaving an option of balance sound like 1.22 and slightly lift bass sound like 1.27.
post #9638 of 18426
Quote:
Originally Posted by musicheaven View Post


It would be nice if they could control it but my feeling is they'll probably come around to tell you that they don't do anything. Assuming they can, the best questions to ask them is do they control the dac or do they have some external digital filters that they control from the firmware? Basically asking them what are the ways they could influence the analog output of the player either directly or indirectly. Let's hope that they'll be honest enough to tell you.

You're probably right. I really don't know enough about how they do effect the sound to know how to ask in the right way!

I was just thinking that as we are quite a fussy, particular bunch of folks then giving us the option to choose from some of the excellant and certainly interesting sound signatures in the history of these firmware updates would be a wonderful addition. I should add that my 'issues' have been in relation with my Grado gr10 iems. I listened today on the dx50 (1.2.7) with a set of Hifimans RE 400's and none of the bass/muddy, bloaty-ness was present! - Which was kind of my point and hope for having these different sound signatures available - For the simple reason that different headphones can make the dx50 sound VERY different! :D

Anyway, Im just discussing here, Im not unhappy with the dx50 per se. i hope these ideas may seen in a potentially helpful light?!

post #9639 of 18426
Quote:
Originally Posted by nc8000 View Post

Yes that is the one I,ve got. I was one of the original crowdsourcers for the project, but for me the DX50 will not boot with it plugged in with a 64GB SanDisk black Ultra card in. Plugged in after the DX50 has started all is fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by geagle View Post

For me too it's better to unplug it, turn on DX50, and plug it as soon as the Ibasso screen comes up (even before the music screen comes on). If I leave it on, sometimes everything is nice, some other times the Ibasso does start but the screen does not light up, and you can solve that by clicking once on the "On" button to turn the screen off, and another time to turn the screen on again… usually this solves the problem, but sometimes the screen gets a very distinct blue tinge (instead of the usual black), when one does this. So now I mainly disconnect the the Meenova right before turning on, and connect it as soon as I see the Ibasso logo on the screen, not a really huge problem.

I'm also getting the same behaviour with my Dx50 while having my Meenova/64 GB SD connected. Pressing the on button twice bring the screen back.
post #9640 of 18426

I just tried 1.2.2 and 1.2.5 myself. Now i have to endure this UI for better sound...

 

Here's my preference.

 

1.2.2 > 1.2.6>/= 1.2.7 > 1.2.5

 

1.2.6 to 1.2.7 is like a two step up and back for me. No doubt 1.2.2 is the winner^^.

post #9641 of 18426
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ishera View Post

I just tried 1.2.2 and 1.2.5 myself. Now i have to endure this UI for better sound...

Here's my preference.

1.2.2 > 1.2.6>/= 1.2.7 > 1.2.5

1.2.6 to 1.2.7 is like a two step up and back for me. No doubt 1.2.2 is the winner^^.


With the improved EQ of 1.2.7, maybe you can make 1.2.7 sound like 1.2.2 to get the stability and sound you want?

Personally, I'm not familiar with the sound signature of 1.2.2 because my unit goes bonkers when I install it. If someone can share EQ settings, that would be great smily_headphones1.gif
Edited by xnuthecaveman - 12/30/13 at 4:16pm
post #9642 of 18426
Ill probably draw some diagrams and email them about the eq. Im not sure how the corner bands are implemented in the code, are there any 'anchor' points off-band or the corner bands are coded as shelf eqs.
post #9643 of 18426
Quote:
Originally Posted by xnuthecaveman View Post

With the improved EQ of 1.2.7, maybe you can make 1.2.7 sound like 1.2.2 to get the stability and sound you want?

Personally, I'm not familiar with the sound signature of 1.2.2 because my unit goes bonkers when I install it. If someone can share EQ settings, that would be great smily_headphones1.gif
You can get the bass less, boosting high, but not getting details nor wider soundstage.
Like ibasso stated, its all about decoder problem.
Seems they are trying to use another decoder library to let the dap doing usb dac job.
post #9644 of 18426
Quote:
Originally Posted by tin427 View Post

Seems they are trying to use another decoder library to let the dap doing usb dac job.
Makes sense, really. There are far, far more people working on libavcodec, for example, than iBasso's entire staff.
At the same time, if iBasso is pulling from the development branch rather than a stable release, well, there's good and bad to that. The good is that they get the most recent improvements when they run their builds. The bad is that they get the most recent bugs when they run their builds.
post #9645 of 18426
Quote:
Originally Posted by ratinox View Post

Makes sense, really. There are far, far more people working on libavcodec, for example, than iBasso's entire staff.
At the same time, if iBasso is pulling from the development branch rather than a stable release, well, there's good and bad to that. The good is that they get the most recent improvements when they run their builds. The bad is that they get the most recent bugs when they run their builds.
From my point of view, ibasso ia going to refine the UI as much as possible and prepare that for dx90.
They really work hard on the UI improvement. Even some useless(decorative) stuff like changing wallpaper for the dap. Though the improved scanning and 'working' gapless is promising.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Source Gear
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › The iBasso DX50 Thread - Latest firmware: 1.9.4 - January 24, 2016