or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › The iBasso DX50 Thread - Latest firmware: 1.9.4 - January 24, 2016
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The iBasso DX50 Thread - Latest firmware: 1.9.4 - January 24, 2016 - Page 518

post #7756 of 18427

I just got a Peachtree Dac-It for my cubicle, so I am running the Coaxial out into the Dac-It, then into a Magni with Mad Dogs. Definitely getting a bigger, more musical sound out of it than when I was just straight lining out from DX50, but the resolution is pretty comparable considering the power difference between the two DAC's (they are both resolving, yet warm...I use similar EQ settings for both, which is mostly turning the bass knobs down). As a straight transport, the DX50 is fantabulous.

 

Now I'm debating if I should upgrade the amp...:)

post #7757 of 18427

Hi, I'm interested in purchasing this.

 

What's the difference between the batches?

 

For example, if I buy the iBasso in the Tenth batch or wait until the Eleventh batch has been released

post #7758 of 18427
Quote:
Originally Posted by DearEsther View Post
 

Hi, I'm interested in purchasing this.

 

What's the difference between the batches?

 

For example, if I buy the iBasso in the Tenth batch or wait until the Eleventh batch has been released

 

iBasso has said that there are no differences between each batch.

That being said, some people get better results in certain batches, including one review outside of Head Fi that says 5th batch (I think?) was much better than the previous batch, sound wise. Not many people have been able to replicate that.

 

In short terms: Don't worry about the batches. They're almost identical, and it's more of a pain in the ass trying to find out each difference than just buying the DX50 and enjoying it.

post #7759 of 18427




My Ibasso D50 and Leckerton UHA-6S mkii separated by four 3M vibration reducing blobs that serve to reduce scratching.
post #7760 of 18427

The only difference between batches (in some cases) would be the firmware.  I have a 9th Batch with FW v1.2.5 installed, which was the latest firmware available at the time.  Some of the lower batches, I would assume, came with whatever firmware was available at the time.  The difference in the sound would probably be due to the fact different batches have different firmware as alot of folks here have mentioned perferring the sound of one firmware over the other.

post #7761 of 18427

Does anyone know if we can use the Toshiba Canvio® 3.0 1TB Portable Hard Drive with our DX50's via OTG?

 

Scratch that. I just called my local store and asked if it supported OTG, and the people said it does not.


Edited by SkyBleu - 12/2/13 at 9:28pm
post #7762 of 18427
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyBleu View Post
 

Does anyone know if we can use the Toshiba Canvio® 3.0 1TB Portable Hard Drive with our DX50's via OTG?


Any portable HDD that isn't powered by an outside source, won't work. I tried using my external HDD and didn't worked, but after i put an external power supply for it, it worked perfectly. The OTG can feed an external HDD, but for some reason doesn't read anything on it (might be because it needs more power for it to work). 

post #7763 of 18427
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kukyo View Post
 


Any portable HDD that isn't powered by an outside source, won't work. I tried using my external HDD and didn't worked, but after i put an external power supply for it, it worked perfectly. The OTG can feed an external HDD, but for some reason doesn't read anything on it (might be because it needs more power for it to work). 

Yeah, and that's really a shame:( I was hoping to grab a portable HDD and power it simply, but it appears that's not the case. 

 

Ah well..time to upgrade to a 64GB Micro SD! :)

post #7764 of 18427
I just tested my DX50 for battery run time for the first time today and it lasted about 13.5 hours straight at 210 volume. I think that's pretty good and I've only charged the battery 2 complete cycles since owning it for about a week. Just FYI.
Edited by DrGonzo - 12/2/13 at 10:23pm
post #7765 of 18427
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrGonzo View Post

I just tested my DX50 for battery run time for the first time today and it lasted about 13.5 hours straight at 210 volume. I think that's pretty good and I've only charged the battery 2 complete cycles since owning it for about a week. Just FYI.

What kind of files did you test it with?
I think FLAC files are sucking out more juice from the battery.
post #7766 of 18427
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrGonzo View Post

I just tested my DX50 for battery run time for the first time today and it lasted about 13.5 hours straight at 210 volume. I think that's pretty good and I've only charged the battery 2 complete cycles since owning it for about a week. Just FYI.

what was the gain set on? 

post #7767 of 18427

I'm intrigued by one of these, but I'm not 100% sure if it's for me.. I have tried to wade through this thread, but it's not really possible to digest it all - it's huge! So, forgive my laziness, but could you comment on these questions?

 

1. I think I saw that there have been 5 FW updates (and by the looks of it, a ton of problems). Would you say that the DX50 is "fixed" now? or near enough?

 

2. For portable use, I'd be pairing it with my Sennheiser Momentums or some Klipsch S4is (initially anyway) - decent match?

 

3. I'm also wondering if it could be used as the source for my home setup. Right now I used my Macbook (with Audirvana) to feed my DA&T DAC/ AMp and HE 500s. It's a bit of a pain to set up though. Could I connect the DX50 to my DAC/ Amp via coaxial and get similar (better?) quality as I get out of my Mac setup (which is connected via USB). Forgive my ignorance, but would it bypass the DX50s own DAC and amp that way?

 

Many thanks - any insight you can give me would be really useful..

post #7768 of 18427
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kukyo View Post
 


Any portable HDD that isn't powered by an outside source, won't work. I tried using my external HDD and didn't worked, but after i put an external power supply for it, it worked perfectly. The OTG can feed an external HDD, but for some reason doesn't read anything on it (might be because it needs more power for it to work). 

 

True, but has anyone tried SSD in the USB OTG context? 

 

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Integral-512GB-Solid-State-Drive/dp/B00BHUNTHI/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1386062036&sr=8-3&keywords=external+ssd+integral#productDetails

 

They require much less power. I'm pretty sure that they won't be too far from a memory stick in terms of consumption. 


Edited by CardosoPMV - 12/3/13 at 1:32am
post #7769 of 18427
I doubt anyone will seriously consider using a SSD as an OTG solution. It's just not cost effective enough to be used as a music storage medium.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CardosoPMV View Post

True, but has anyone tried SSD in the USB OTG context? 

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Integral-512GB-Solid-State-Drive/dp/B00BHUNTHI/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1386062036&sr=8-3&keywords=external+ssd+integral#productDetails

They require much less power. I'm pretty sure that they won't be too far from a memory stick in terms of consumption. 
post #7770 of 18427
Quote:
Originally Posted by warth0g View Post
 

I'm intrigued by one of these, but I'm not 100% sure if it's for me.. I have tried to wade through this thread, but it's not really possible to digest it all - it's huge! So, forgive my laziness, but could you comment on these questions?

 

1. I think I saw that there have been 5 FW updates (and by the looks of it, a ton of problems). Would you say that the DX50 is "fixed" now? or near enough?

 

2. For portable use, I'd be pairing it with my Sennheiser Momentums or some Klipsch S4is (initially anyway) - decent match?

 

3. I'm also wondering if it could be used as the source for my home setup. Right now I used my Macbook (with Audirvana) to feed my DA&T DAC/ AMp and HE 500s. It's a bit of a pain to set up though. Could I connect the DX50 to my DAC/ Amp via coaxial and get similar (better?) quality as I get out of my Mac setup (which is connected via USB). Forgive my ignorance, but would it bypass the DX50s own DAC and amp that way?

 

Many thanks - any insight you can give me would be really useful..

 

1/ As someone who had scanning issues with the player, I think it is near enough to being fixed now.

 

2/ I have been using it with Momentums, albeit with ann Alo National amp in between.    The Momentums are easy enough to drive that it shouldn't be a problem

 

3/  If you use the coax out, then yes, it would bypass your DX50's DAC.   However, I have not first-hand experience there, so cannot comment on the quality. 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Source Gear
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › The iBasso DX50 Thread - Latest firmware: 1.9.4 - January 24, 2016