or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › The iBasso DX50 Thread - Latest firmware: 1.9.4 - January 24, 2016
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The iBasso DX50 Thread - Latest firmware: 1.9.4 - January 24, 2016 - Page 444

post #6646 of 18426
Quote:
Originally Posted by brugis View Post
 

Anyone use his dx50 with Fiio E12 and over ear headphones? Is soundstage wider? How about details?

Yes, I paired it and was not happy........Plenty of power but very warm with the E12 DX50 combo.  I then went to the BH2 paired with DX 50 and love it.  wider stage and plenty of power to drive my full size headphones.  You can tailor the system based on what headphone you are using. For the price it works!

post #6647 of 18426
Quote:
Originally Posted by meusickfrek View Post
 

Just got mine on west coast of USA, ordered 10-23, if you are going to receive your unit you should have a FedEx tracking number by now. 

I ordered on October 20 and received mine this morning.

 

MP4Nation nicely responded to my single email asking about an expected shipping date I sent a few days earlier.

 

I remain amazed that a package can ship from Hong Kong and be delivered in the middle of the U.S. by 10:30 the following days.  This is almost magical.

post #6648 of 18426
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapiti View Post
 

I ordered on October 20 and received mine this morning.

 

MP4Nation nicely responded to my single email asking about an expected shipping date I sent a few days earlier.

 

I remain amazed that a package can ship from Hong Kong and be delivered in the middle of the U.S. by 10:30 the following days.  This is almost magical.


They get a bit of a head start due to the time change (date line), now what to do with the R3s, haven't heard many positive reviews.

post #6649 of 18426

The time difference helps, but the delivery was within 40 hours from the time Fed Ex had the package.  Very cool.

 

I have yet to even open the R3 package . . .

post #6650 of 18426

My R3s have gone straight into the trash. The wiring in the mini-jack was loose right of the bat, and one ear kept losing sound. And the sound wasnt anything to write home about. Atleast now we know why those headphones came for free.

 

I like the DX50 more than the FiiO. Atleast this recognizes all my classical albums and I can see them by album view, instead of going into File Browser - which is very inconvenient.

 

But i do have a small problem - i cannot figure out how to get the player to automatically scan the memory card. I have to first browse to an album in the file browser, after which the player recognizes it and then i can see it in Album view.

 

Anyone have any idea what's going on here?

post #6651 of 18426

Sell them maybe, you don't have to listen to them :p

post #6652 of 18426
Quote:
Originally Posted by vkalia View Post

 

But i do have a small problem - i cannot figure out how to get the player to automatically scan the memory card. I have to first browse to an album in the file browser, after which the player recognizes it and then i can see it in Album view.

 

Anyone have any idea what's going on here?

 

I've had this problem/bug/feature since installing 1.2.3b (possibly before, I didn't use my DX much before that. Long story...)

 

This may be a *terrible* idea that will break your DX and your card, but the only way I can get the memory card to auto-scan is to insert it *after* I've got the DX switched on. Card then power - no scan; power then card - auto-scan and happiness :)

 

Unrelated and massively off-topic question - I've got my music stored on a Synology NAS (+windows 8). The only software I can find that detects and scans the NAS is MusicBee. Amarok, MediaMonkey, AIMP and the rest either can't 'see' it or can't scan it. WTF else am I doing wrong?

 

PS I also appear to have a 'golden' DX50. Updates just work, no weird stuff has happened. It just plays the FLACs I throw on the SD card. Plus my hearing is so wrecked from years of bad rock club PA and way-too-loud bad 'phones that I can't honestly tell any SQ difference between any of the recent FW releases :)/:(


Edited by Stonephace - 11/12/13 at 11:48am
post #6653 of 18426
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by vkalia View Post

My R3s have gone straight into the trash. The wiring in the mini-jack was loose right of the bat, and one ear kept losing sound. And the sound wasnt anything to write home about. Atleast now we know why those headphones came for free.

I like the DX50 more than the FiiO. Atleast this recognizes all my classical albums and I can see them by album view, instead of going into File Browser - which is very inconvenient.

But i do have a small problem - i cannot figure out how to get the player to automatically scan the memory card. I have to first browse to an album in the file browser, after which the player recognizes it and then i can see it in Album view.

Anyone have any idea what's going on here?

Go see the FAQ web page as specified on page 1 of this thread you'll find all the info you need to set it up or fix any issues. wink.gif
post #6654 of 18426
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeBop Lives View Post
 

Yes, I paired it and was not happy........Plenty of power but very warm with the E12 DX50 combo.  I then went to the BH2 paired with DX 50 and love it.  wider stage and plenty of power to drive my full size headphones.  You can tailor the system based on what headphone you are using. For the price it works!


Maybe better buy a C&C BH2? I'm not basshead, like metal, alternative music, nu metal, metalcore, etc...

post #6655 of 18426

Thanks again, Howlin Fester, for your help.  Well I just placed my order with ibasso for the DX50 9th Batch, which is supposed to ship November 20.  Does ibasso usually meet their shipment deadlines? If so, about how long to ship to Eastern United States?

post #6656 of 18426
Quote:
Originally Posted by brugis View Post
 

Anyone use his dx50 with Fiio E12 and over ear headphones? Is soundstage wider? How about details?

The E12 is worse than the in-built amp. It has more power, but sacrifices quality. The bass is muddier (both with and without bass boost being on), the soundstage seems a bit wider but you lose separation (everything sounds undefined in the space, so although you feel like the sound extends way out past your ears, nothing stands out as being defined, it's like a spread out mess). The treble is rolled off quickly, and in general it worsens the sound. It's very noticeable, and I wouldn't recommend it. Others have had success with the C&C BH2.

I should note that I am in no way biased against Fiio. They are a good brand that make good stuff, I used the E11 with my J3 for about 2 years. However, I just think that the E12 does not pair well with the DX50.

post #6657 of 18426

I've got two technical questions which I hope someone here, maybe from iBasso can answer:

 

1. I was wondering if the DX50 was featuring a digital volume control, although the Wolfson 8740 doestn't seem to have this feature (http://www.wolfsonmicro.com/products/dacs/WM8740/) but e,g. the 8741 has digital volume control listed on the web page "Digital volume control in 0.125dB steps with soft ramp and soft mutehttp://www.wolfsonmicro.com/products/dacs/WM8741/

So is the volume control on the DX50 digital or analog?

 

2. If volume control is digital, according to this info here (http://thewelltemperedcomputer.com/Intro/SQ/VolumeControl.htm) the full 16 or 24 bit word length - some call it "resolution" is only

put out, when the volume is set to maximum, here: 255. Every lower value will result in a possible change of data, e.g. if the volume is set to 90%, every digital value is multiplied by 0.9 before converted, possibly causing quantisation errors.

 

So the logical conclusion is: If the volume control is digital, should I then set it to maximum (using line out and an amp of course, not HO), because only then I get the unaltered data from the source converted to analog audio?

 

Further thinking about it: As if it's not pointless enough to listen to 24 bit files, listening at very low (digital) volume will result in a drastic reduction in "resolution", or better dynamic range,

e.g. a 24 bit file becomes 12 bit at 50% volume, right? ;)

post #6658 of 18426
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobgoblinpie View Post

The E12 is worse than the in-built amp. It has more power, but sacrifices quality. The bass is muddier (both with and without bass boost being on), the soundstage seems a bit wider but you lose separation (everything sounds undefined in the space, so although you feel like the sound extends way out past your ears, nothing stands out as being defined, it's like a spread out mess). The treble is rolled off quickly, and in general it worsens the sound. It's very noticeable, and I wouldn't recommend it. Others have had success with the C&C BH2.
I should note that I am in no way biased against Fiio. They are a good brand that make good stuff, I used the E11 with my J3 for about 2 years. However, I just think that the E12 does not pair well with the DX50.

Ok, thanx for input. Biggest part of my music is 24/96, tuen better go with BH?
post #6659 of 18426

Is there a way to balance the L/R channels? Noticed the X3 has it but couldn't find any results when searching on here. Or is the only way to rockbox? Undecided on my purchase due to this, but hopefully can convince myself it won't be too bad

post #6660 of 18426
after 10hr+ burn to the dx50, my sm3 v2 opened up, compared to the out of the box sound and the first couple hours

stage is wider, the trables are smooth the crispy, bass tight and punchy when needed compared to cowon s9

sometimes it feels like im in a recording session but that sm3 signature..

no 3rd amping and with stock cable till my BTG midnight arrives

can't wait to pass the 50hr burn

some bugs like reported but the sound experience totally compensate it
Edited by Juiced - 11/12/13 at 1:58pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Source Gear
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › The iBasso DX50 Thread - Latest firmware: 1.9.4 - January 24, 2016