Originally Posted by Fingerling
How are we doing with the sound stuttering on DX50?
With mine, all official firmwares since 1.4 and DOC's final versions and also SU 1.3.3 stuttering (playing from sd card and internal). It's really disappointing and annoying.
Only Rockbox solve the problem (but WHY??)
Did somebody has solved the problem whitout rockboxing?
Hey guys. (Long explanation. Sorry. Trying to scientifically cover all the bases.)
I did experience the stuttering. Although to me it was more of a "skipping" or the sound would drop out, blank for an annoying moment, then come back.
Mine started around the time I upgraded to 1.6, but I believe that was a coincidence. Because after two days of blanking, I upgraded to Doc's Favorite Final Firmware. Then the sound was fine for a week or so, and then it started blanking on DFFF also. Therefore I am of the opinion that FW does not matter.
I have been following both DX50 and DX90 threads since the beginning. There was a lot of talk about the blanking on the DX90 thread, so I followed this path:
I have three micro sd cards. All Sandisk. 64 - 16 - 64. I started using them directly out of the package with no formatting. My first 64G card was very full to the brim, as was the 16. I was getting blanking on both of them. The 3rd 64G was new, and not very full, so didn't experience any blanking. I also have a tendency to swap out album folders quite a bit. So the 1st 64G would have half that stay all the time and half that get re-written.
I downloaded the formatting tool from the SD Association here: https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter_4/
I did a complete format and overwrite of all my cards,
I have not experienced the blanking since that time. Been about a month now.
I "believe" that the problem was occurring for me because of the writing and re-writing of the files on my cards. There were probably sector gaps of non contiguous files, and I also believe i read something about the cards using a small open partition while in play mode to copy the data to the partition for use. So maybe being too full, and having overwritten many times caused the issue. That's what I'm going with for my hypothesis.
EDIT: I forgot to mention that there is a great deal of discussion about how the built in microsoft formatter is much different than the SD Association format tool from download. Therefore: 1. Any new card I get will receive the SD Association format right out of the box. 2. IF I experience the problem, again I will use only the SD Association Format Tool.
Edited by Howlin Fester - 3/16/15 at 6:08am