or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › The iBasso DX50 Thread - Latest firmware: 1.9.4 - January 24, 2016
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The iBasso DX50 Thread - Latest firmware: 1.9.4 - January 24, 2016 - Page 891

post #13351 of 18426
Quote:
Originally Posted by geagle View Post
 

My pleasure mate:smile:… but I'm not sure if I understand you correctly about the library in Windows: if you look at the files on your sd card on Windows, it will display them in the order in which you are telling the OS to display folders - quite probably alphabetical;)

 

What I meant by looking at the Music library, is, look at what the library on the DX50 (the internal database it constructs by scanning) has, by touching "My Music" on the bottom left corner of the DAP, then either "Album" and select an album, or "Artist", then select Artist and the same album … what order are the songs in? And are the songs in the same order in both views (they should be, of course)… Also, if, still on the DX50, you go to Directory, and then wherever the same files are stored, are they in the same order (this is the view on which you actually see the filenames, like 01 - xxxx.yyy, while in the other views the DX50 displays only the tags)?

 

And if everything seems in order (and in the same order) in all 3 views through the DX50, I am really completely stumped:confused_face_2: ...



Hi again,

Yes, I mis-understood you, sorry about that. Even checking on the DX50 library they're in order in all views. :o

post #13352 of 18426
Quote:
Originally Posted by PChoon View Post
 

i have downloaded and tried the new port over from DX90.

 

It works fine on the DX50.

 

but on the audio part i think i need to take a longer listen.

 

have stuck with 'sound explosion DX90 port' this since installing. I must admit that my intitial reactions were probably a little over exuberant (using words like considerably improved). However, I do think there has been subtle improvements in the overall quality of the audio delivery (especially on HO).

 

As a test I used ther ER-4s straight out of an RME fireface 7and8 on hi gain with FLAC music on same volume as DX-50 HO and they were pretty much identical, with no discernable differences with soundstage/clarity/neutrality. On 1.2.8 RME had better soundstage and overall clarity.

 

I am hoping that when the next official DX-50 firmware comes that DOC2008 might consider doing the same thing he has done with the DX-90 port regarding sending audio direct to DAC or whatever he has done. (DOC2008 are you there?)

 

A question DOC...would engaging the EQ on this port undo what you have done to send the audio direct to DAC?

 

Now, if only there was a second DX-50 lying about so I could do a direct comparison between 1.2.8 and sound explosion, but I am happy to stick with the port.

 

It's alaso very nice have the extra USB connection option (storage/charge only) but I am sure this will come with official update.


Edited by polyrhythm - 5/29/14 at 4:49am
post #13353 of 18426

I have succesfully installed the DX90 firmware on my DX50,  it didn't turn the DAP into a brick. The GUI looks a bit different now, but it's nice! I will now give the new firmware a try with the BA4 and post impressions later on :D

post #13354 of 18426
geez wanna try this port but im so loving the rockbox sound..
post #13355 of 18426

My impressions of the DX 90 firmware port (DX50 + BA4) :

 

Sound

 

Improved clarity, detail and instrument separation. Slightly more realistic than the 1.2.8 firmware. Very, very enjoyable! 1.2.8 is already on a high level, but this is a bit better to my ears.

 

UI

 

NO LAG. Loading times are a matter of milliseconds! Even if there was no difference in sq, this alone makes the Dx50 a better DAP.

 

Bottom line:

 

Install the mod and be happy. Highly recommended.

post #13356 of 18426
So to clarify , you are installing DX90 v2.05 firmware onto a DX50 ? Or is it only the DOC2008 version ? Thanks
Edited by KT66 - 5/29/14 at 3:57pm
post #13357 of 18426

I realize this thread is for general discussion about the DX50, not for help and recommendations, but I'm not getting much help or any recommendations in the appropriate forum.  I'm hoping that by posting here I'll get some visibility.

 

I've wanted to get a high-quality DAP for a while now and the two that are closest to my price range are the FiiO X3 and the iBasso DX50.  I've read a lot more so far about the DX50 and I'm liking what I'm hearing about the improved stability and sound signature in firmware 1.2.8 (and now you can install DX90 firmware on it?).  That said, I've found very little in the way of direct comparisons to the X3 that wasn't written when the DX50 was brand new and horrendously buggy.  It's really difficult to parse out which one would better suit my needs when many of the gripes may be irrelevant now.

 

To make matters more complicated, the only set of IEMs I have to listen to my new DAP with are HiFiMan RE-400 Waterlines, which I read here do not play nicely with the DX50.  That sucks but if you guys can give me reason to pick the DX50 over the X3, I can return the RE-400s and pick up a pair of JVC HA-FXT90s or Yamaha EPH-100s—both of which I've heard are marvelous for their price range.

 

Basically, I have a few questions I'm hoping people here will answer for me:

 

1)  How would you compare the UI and sound signatures of the FiiO X3 and iBasso DX50, in a nutshell?

2)  Is the DX50 bug free yet—or at the very least is it no longer likely to randomly damage my hearing?

3)  Will either of these DAPs benefit from a FiiO e11 amplifier, or are their internal amps strictly superior?

4)  Are my RE-400s going to be a liability with the DX50?  How about the HA-FXT90s or EPH-100s?

5)  Is there anything else I ought to know before committing to a purchase?

 

Thanks for reading and I'm really sorry if it offends anyone that I put this here.  I'm only trying to make an informed decision and I'm getting much information anywhere else.


Edited by Djinnenjous - 5/29/14 at 6:28pm
post #13358 of 18426
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djinnenjous View Post
 

I realize this thread is for general discussion about the DX50, not for help and recommendations, but I'm not getting much help or any recommendations in the appropriate forum.  I'm hoping that by posting here I'll get some visibility.

 

I've wanted to get a high-quality DAP for a while now and the two that are closest to my price range are the FiiO X3 and the iBasso DX50.  I've read a lot more so far about the DX50 and I'm liking what I'm hearing about the improved stability and sound signature in firmware 1.2.8 (and now you can install DX90 firmware on it?).  That said, I've found very little in the way of direct comparisons to the X3 that wasn't written when the DX50 was brand new and horrendously buggy.  It's really difficult to parse out which one would better suit my needs when many of the gripes may be irrelevant now.

 

To make matters more complicated, the only set of IEMs I have to listen to my new DAP with are HiFiMan RE-400 Waterlines, which I read here do not play nicely with the DX50.  That sucks but if you guys can give me reason to pick the DX50 over the X3, I can return the RE-400s and pick up a pair of JVC HA-FXT90s, which I've heard are marvelous for their price range.

 

Basically, I have a few questions I'm hoping people here will answer for me:

 

1)  How would you compare the UI and sound signatures of the FiiO X3 and iBasso DX50, in a nutshell?

2)  Is the DX50 bug free yet—or at the very least is it no longer likely to randomly damage my hearing?

3)  Will either of these DAPs benefit from a FiiO e11 amplifier, or are their internal amps strictly superior?

4)  Are my RE-400s going to be a liability with the DX50?  How about the HA-FXT90s?

5)  Is there anything else I ought to know before committing to a purchase?

 

Thanks for reading and I'm really sorry if it offends anyone that I put this here.  I'm only trying to make an informed decision and I'm getting much information anywhere else.

 

 

let me try answering some questions for you.

 

1) i did not get to A-B both dap. in fact i bought it because ibasso has been pretty consistent with their sound sig. which is clean and powerful.

 

2) not completely bug free. but i'm a simply user... i do not use playlist or anything.. i dump all my songs into one folder and put it on shuffle.

 

3) External amp in my own opinion and taste its better... i'm using the Voyager and also the The National amp.

 

4) i do not own any of those 2 IEM but i know DX50 internal amp is very powerful.

 

5) yes... buy your memory card from an trusted and authorised vendor... so u will not face memory card issues.

 

 

this is my 2cents worth... YMMV

post #13359 of 18426

Soon to join the DX50 club.  Ordered and should be here on Sat.

 

Hope the gapless playback does not disappoint :frown:

post #13360 of 18426
wow?! direct port from dx90? i missed so much only by few weeks!
post #13361 of 18426
Quote:
Originally Posted by H20Fidelity View Post
 



Hi again,

Yes, I mis-understood you, sorry about that. Even checking on the DX50 library they're in order in all views. :o

Stumbled on this on the DX90 bug thread, it looked to me as being somewhat similar to your own problems maybe? Not that they have any solution, unfortunately… And I confess that I'm fresh out of ideas:o, ATM 

 

post #103

post #13362 of 18426
OMG guys!!! I've emailed iBasso asking for USB-dac function release date.

here's the email answer:

Hi,
Thank you for your email.
We will release the new DX50 firmware with USB-DAC function in less than 2 weeks.

Sincerely
iBasso Audio

woahwoahwoahwoah.jpg can't wait
post #13363 of 18426
Quote:
Originally Posted by yoztpetra View Post

OMG guys!!! I've emailed iBasso asking for USB-dac function release date.

here's the email answer:

Hi,
Thank you for your email.
We will release the new DX50 firmware with USB-DAC function in less than 2 weeks.

Sincerely
iBasso Audio

woahwoahwoahwoah.jpg can't wait
Nice! Can't wait to try it out! biggrin.gif
post #13364 of 18426
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djinnenjous View Post
 

I realize this thread is for general discussion about the DX50, not for help and recommendations, but I'm not getting much help or any recommendations in the appropriate forum.  I'm hoping that by posting here I'll get some visibility.

 

I've wanted to get a high-quality DAP for a while now and the two that are closest to my price range are the FiiO X3 and the iBasso DX50.  I've read a lot more so far about the DX50 and I'm liking what I'm hearing about the improved stability and sound signature in firmware 1.2.8 (and now you can install DX90 firmware on it?).  That said, I've found very little in the way of direct comparisons to the X3 that wasn't written when the DX50 was brand new and horrendously buggy.  It's really difficult to parse out which one would better suit my needs when many of the gripes may be irrelevant now.

 

To make matters more complicated, the only set of IEMs I have to listen to my new DAP with are HiFiMan RE-400 Waterlines, which I read here do not play nicely with the DX50.  That sucks but if you guys can give me reason to pick the DX50 over the X3, I can return the RE-400s and pick up a pair of JVC HA-FXT90s or Yamaha EPH-100s—both of which I've heard are marvelous for their price range.

 

Basically, I have a few questions I'm hoping people here will answer for me:

 

1)  How would you compare the UI and sound signatures of the FiiO X3 and iBasso DX50, in a nutshell?

2)  Is the DX50 bug free yet—or at the very least is it no longer likely to randomly damage my hearing?

3)  Will either of these DAPs benefit from a FiiO e11 amplifier, or are their internal amps strictly superior?

4)  Are my RE-400s going to be a liability with the DX50?  How about the HA-FXT90s or EPH-100s?

5)  Is there anything else I ought to know before committing to a purchase?

 

Thanks for reading and I'm really sorry if it offends anyone that I put this here.  I'm only trying to make an informed decision and I'm getting much information anywhere else.

  1. DX50 neutral, X3 warmer with mid-bass hump. Typical respective house sound signatures.
  2. Bug-free as far as I know.
  3. Not sure about the X3, the DX50 probably needs a better amp than that. At least C&C BH2 level.
  4. If I remember properly people didn't like the DX50 > RE400 pairing at all. Not sure about the others, sorry.
  5. The DX50 may have some reliability issues, my LO jack is starting to fail after 6 months of heavy use. Be careful.
post #13365 of 18426
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucketInABucket View Post
 
  1. DX50 neutral, X3 warmer with mid-bass hump. Typical respective house sound signatures.
  2. Bug-free as far as I know.
  3. Not sure about the X3, the DX50 probably needs a better amp than that. At least C&C BH2 level.
  4. If I remember properly people didn't like the DX50 > RE400 pairing at all. Not sure about the others, sorry.
  5. The DX50 may have some reliability issues, my LO jack is starting to fail after 6 months of heavy use. Be careful.


I can confirm that X3's internal amp are much better than FIio E11.

I've tried it with lineout to E11, it sounds muffled and less detailed. separation and soundstage shrunk as well :)

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Source Gear
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › The iBasso DX50 Thread - Latest firmware: 1.9.4 - January 24, 2016