Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › The iBasso DX50 Thread - Latest firmware: 1.9.2
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The iBasso DX50 Thread - Latest firmware: 1.9.2 - Page 1143

post #17131 of 17137

Hello all. 

 

I see that usb otg works well with the dx50.  The big deal with it is finding a usb device that doesn't drain the battery I suppose.  I'm in the market for a new DAP and the DX50 is on my radar because I'm running out of space for all my music.  I like the usb otg feature, so I'm looking at the DX50, FiiO X3II, and even the FiiO X5II (although this is at the top of my budget).  The only thing that scares me about the DX50 is all of the different FW (ibasso and 3rd party).  I've been reading through this thread and have read one FW sounds better than another and that gapless playback works or doesn't.  Does the DX50 run fine and sound fine on the current factory FW?  How is gapless playback on the factory FW?  I'm not saying the 3rd party FW is bad or anything, but I'd like to know if the factory FW works before I begin experimenting with 3rd party stuff.

 

Thanks

post #17132 of 17137

@fourrobert13 I recieved my DX50 last week. Stock FW that came with it (1.6) worked very well. I installed SU 1.3.3 yesterday, and so long everything looks fine. I simply believe that I'm a very untrained listener, since I honestly can't hear a notable difference between stock and SU using the M50X. I will probably go back to 1.6. Safe zone for me since I'm still a bit doubtful about installing custom FW. No specific reason, only beginner's fear lol.


Edited by CyberJuanito - Today at 9:22 am
post #17133 of 17137
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberJuanito View Post
 

@fourrobert13 I recieved my DX50 last week. Stock FW that came with it (1.6) worked very well. I installed SU 1.3.3 yesterday, and so long everything looks fine. I simply believe that I'm a very untrained listener, since I honestly can't hear a notable difference between stock and SU using the M50X. I will probably go back to 1.6. Safe zone for me since I'm still a bit doubtful about installing custom FW. No specific reason, only beginner's fear lol.


How was the gapless playback?  I'm on the fence between the DX50 and the FiiO X3II.  My issue with the FiiO is that the USB OTG is picky about working.  It makes it hard to decide when each device has different strengths and weaknesses.

post #17134 of 17137
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoiL View Post

Yeah, but good luck finding it in EU. I couldn`t find it and I certainly won`t oder from oversea US, shipping cost will be too much + taxes.

 



I am from Canada, so not entirely familiar with cost for all EU region, but France apparently get it for around 3$ shipping equivalent. So around 15$ total. This thing is tiny and light even with the full size USB adapter included. I got one for my spouse and I and we get those between Nexus 5, tablets (Asus, Nexus7, Zoom) and my DX50 easily. Tested with all our 64Gb MicroSD and also with 1 Sandisk Ultra and Kingston 128Gb each.

Can't get picture right now, but if anyone interested to see it on a DX50, I can upload one later.
post #17135 of 17137
Quote:
Originally Posted by fourrobert13 View Post
 


How was the gapless playback?  I'm on the fence between the DX50 and the FiiO X3II.  My issue with the FiiO is that the USB OTG is picky about working.  It makes it hard to decide when each device has different strengths and weaknesses.

Works very smoothly. Right now I´m listening to Sufjan Stevens´s Illinoise and the transition between "Jacksonville" and "A Short Reprise for Mary Todd, Who Went Insane, but for Very Good Reasons" is beautiful :rolleyes: 


Edited by CyberJuanito - Today at 11:55 am
post #17136 of 17137
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoiL View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zak707 View Post

My personal favorite micro adapter is the Meenova http://www.meenova.com/ . Uses micro-SD and is super small which reduce the risk of damage to the port and so far compared to actual USB stick I found it drains the battery less.

Zak

Yeah, but good luck finding it in EU. I couldn`t find it and I certainly won`t oder from oversea US, shipping cost will be too much + taxes.

I understand why you use cue sheets Coil! I just tried it with one of my albums and when I am in the DX50 interface I can't even tell it is a single file. It has each song listed out individually and I can still shuffle through other songs and get random songs from that cue sheet. In Rockbox it counts the file as a single file. So if I am in shuffle and then that "song" comes up (image) then it starts playing through the whole album. It can't just shuffle to a random song on the cue sheet while I am shuffling through all of my music. Sound Unlocked 1.3.3 here I come!

 

I've decided I can live without replaygain functionality since I use an external amp. Changing the volume is REALLY easy, where as before it was not nearly as simple using the DX50 volume controls. The sound is SO MUCH BETTER than Rockbox too. I don't understand why this is... I just tested NDFUFF and now I am switching to 1.3.3 to compare the 2 with my Cayin C5.

post #17137 of 17137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zak707 View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoiL View Post
 

Yeah, but good luck finding it in EU. I couldn`t find it and I certainly won`t oder from oversea US, shipping cost will be too much + taxes.

I am from Canada, so not entirely familiar with cost for all EU region, but France apparently get it for around 3$ shipping equivalent. So around 15$ total. This thing is tiny and light even with the full size USB adapter included. I got one for my spouse and I and we get those between Nexus 5, tablets (Asus, Nexus7, Zoom) and my DX50 easily. Tested with all our 64Gb MicroSD and also with 1 Sandisk Ultra and Kingston 128Gb each.

Can't get picture right now, but if anyone interested to see it on a DX50, I can upload one later.

And You confirm it works without problems with DX50? Even using single file flac rips+ cue sheet (don`t know if it will affect working)?

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7S Cameron View Post
 

I understand why you use cue sheets Coil! I just tried it with one of my albums and when I am in the DX50 interface I can't even tell it is a single file. It has each song listed out individually and I can still shuffle through other songs and get random songs from that cue sheet. In Rockbox it counts the file as a single file. So if I am in shuffle and then that "song" comes up (image) then it starts playing through the whole album. It can't just shuffle to a random song on the cue sheet while I am shuffling through all of my music. Sound Unlocked 1.3.3 here I come!

LOL, I`ve been talking about it all the time! Enjoy! ;)

 

Note - make sure Your cue sheets are correctly done. I rip my albums with EAC and always create cue sheet for WAV image. Then I convert to flac but leave cue sheet with WAV extensions in it - still works! ;)

 

For example, this is how cue sheet should look like, my own CD rip:

Cue sheet (Click to show)

REM GENRE "Progressive Rock"
REM DATE 2015
REM DISCID 990F7F0B
REM COMMENT "ExactAudioCopy v1.0b4"
PERFORMER "Steven Wilson"
TITLE "Hand. Cannot. Erase."
FILE "Steven Wilson - Hand. Cannot. Erase..wav" WAVE
  TRACK 01 AUDIO
    TITLE "First Regret"
    PERFORMER "Steven Wilson"
    ISRC GBCQV1400515
    INDEX 01 00:00:00
  TRACK 02 AUDIO
    TITLE "3 Years Older"
    PERFORMER "Steven Wilson"
    ISRC GBCQV1400516
    INDEX 01 02:01:39
  TRACK 03 AUDIO
    TITLE "Hand Cannot Erase"
    PERFORMER "Steven Wilson"
    INDEX 01 12:18:44
  TRACK 04 AUDIO
    TITLE "Perfect Life"
    PERFORMER "Steven Wilson"
    ISRC GBCQV1400518
    INDEX 01 16:36:05
  TRACK 05 AUDIO
    TITLE "Routine"
    PERFORMER "Steven Wilson"
    ISRC GBCQV1400519
    INDEX 00 21:21:73
    INDEX 01 21:22:03
  TRACK 06 AUDIO
    TITLE "Home Invasion"
    PERFORMER "Steven Wilson"
    ISRC GBCQV1400520
    INDEX 00 30:19:53
    INDEX 01 30:24:52
  TRACK 07 AUDIO
    TITLE "Regret #9"
    PERFORMER "Steven Wilson"
    ISRC GBCQV1400521
    INDEX 01 36:48:66
  TRACK 08 AUDIO
    TITLE "Transience"
    PERFORMER "Steven Wilson"
    ISRC GBCQV1400522
    INDEX 01 41:49:33
  TRACK 09 AUDIO
    TITLE "Ancestral"
    PERFORMER "Steven Wilson"
    ISRC GBCQV1400523
    INDEX 00 44:33:29
    INDEX 01 44:37:73
  TRACK 10 AUDIO
    TITLE "Happy Returns"
    PERFORMER "Steven Wilson"
    ISRC GBCQV1400524
    INDEX 00 58:08:52
    INDEX 01 58:11:25
  TRACK 11 AUDIO
    TITLE "Ascendant Here On..."
    PERFORMER "Steven Wilson"
    ISRC GBCQV1400525
    INDEX 01 64:11:29

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoiL View Post
 

Today got my KINPS 3150mAh battery. I fully charged it before use. I also listened to near-empty stock Pisen battery and measured it`s voltage output before it got totally empty (it was 3.63V).

New freshly charged battery measured 4.38V. With new KINPS battery I heard no difference using same song at same volume level. 

Just for reference, stock battery fully charged measures output voltage 4.35V. So, when battery drains, voltage lowers and results less "juice" for DX50 than needed? 

So, good quality battery voltage drop should be slower and thus why some might hear difference between batteries? Though, I tested above empty/used vs. full charged/new battery and found no difference in sound. Hmmm.... interesting.

 

Edit:


 

Quote:

Note - make sure Your cue sheets are correctly done. I rip my albums with EAC and always create cue sheet for WAV image. Then I convert to flac but leave cue sheet with WAV extensions in it - still works! ;)

 

For example, this is how cue sheet should look like, my own CD rip:

Cue sheet (Click to show)

REM GENRE "Progressive Rock"
REM DATE 2015
REM DISCID 990F7F0B
REM COMMENT "ExactAudioCopy v1.0b4"
PERFORMER "Steven Wilson"
TITLE "Hand. Cannot. Erase."
FILE "Steven Wilson - Hand. Cannot. Erase..wav" WAVE
  TRACK 01 AUDIO
    TITLE "First Regret"
    PERFORMER "Steven Wilson"
    ISRC GBCQV1400515
    INDEX 01 00:00:00
  TRACK 02 AUDIO
    TITLE "3 Years Older"
    PERFORMER "Steven Wilson"
    ISRC GBCQV1400516
    INDEX 01 02:01:39
  TRACK 03 AUDIO
    TITLE "Hand Cannot Erase"
    PERFORMER "Steven Wilson"
    INDEX 01 12:18:44
  TRACK 04 AUDIO
    TITLE "Perfect Life"
    PERFORMER "Steven Wilson"
    ISRC GBCQV1400518
    INDEX 01 16:36:05
  TRACK 05 AUDIO
    TITLE "Routine"
    PERFORMER "Steven Wilson"
    ISRC GBCQV1400519
    INDEX 00 21:21:73
    INDEX 01 21:22:03
  TRACK 06 AUDIO
    TITLE "Home Invasion"
    PERFORMER "Steven Wilson"
    ISRC GBCQV1400520
    INDEX 00 30:19:53
    INDEX 01 30:24:52
  TRACK 07 AUDIO
    TITLE "Regret #9"
    PERFORMER "Steven Wilson"
    ISRC GBCQV1400521
    INDEX 01 36:48:66
  TRACK 08 AUDIO
    TITLE "Transience"
    PERFORMER "Steven Wilson"
    ISRC GBCQV1400522
    INDEX 01 41:49:33
  TRACK 09 AUDIO
    TITLE "Ancestral"
    PERFORMER "Steven Wilson"
    ISRC GBCQV1400523
    INDEX 00 44:33:29
    INDEX 01 44:37:73
  TRACK 10 AUDIO
    TITLE "Happy Returns"
    PERFORMER "Steven Wilson"
    ISRC GBCQV1400524
    INDEX 00 58:08:52
    INDEX 01 58:11:25
  TRACK 11 AUDIO
    TITLE "Ascendant Here On..."
    PERFORMER "Steven Wilson"
    ISRC GBCQV1400525
    INDEX 01 64:11:29

 

Wait... something is wrong. I haven`t used shuffle long time. I think to shuffle between different single flac albums You still needed to convert to multiple files instead because in that way I just showed it doesn`t work with this and other albums like it. 

Or I have shown incorrect cue sheet atm?

I think It was still single file album rip + cue sheet but that cue sheet was with FLAC extensions?

Dammit, I have forgotten how I managed to do this -.-

 

7S Cameron, how did You do it? I really don`t remember it anymore how I got it to shuffle between single file albums (with self selected songs).

And seems that this Steven Wilson album also doesn`t let shuffle inside its own in correct order I used to create playlist. I`m totally confused atm how I managed to get it work before. 

 

But gapless works without problems (SU1.3.3 @ flac) with that SW album and cue sheet I showed, even with play/stop/fwd/rwd being used, no cutoffs like some have here.


Edited by CoiL - Today at 2:04 pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Source Gear
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › The iBasso DX50 Thread - Latest firmware: 1.9.2