Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › The iBasso DX50 Thread - Latest firmware: 1.5.0
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The iBasso DX50 Thread - Latest firmware: 1.5.0 - Page 589

post #8821 of 14412
Quote:
Originally Posted by headwhacker View Post

I tried balanced and single ended on full-size headphone (T1).

Though the difference is nice, in the end I concluded the hassle of getting a balance setup is not worth the gain in SQ. The size and weight of your stack goes up exponentially.

Cables need to be re-terminated; getsheavy and clunky. You need a balanced DAC then amp. If you happen to find one device (balanced dac/amp) it's enormous compared to portable single-ended amp (or dac combo).

Not sure how big will the difference be with ciem going balanced. But lately, I find myself going as small as I can stack-wise and big as possible in SQ.

Still dreaming of that one DAP, one c/iem to rule them all setup

Alrighty, so going from this, I'll assume balanced Vs. single-ended is not majorly different and I should not be stressing over it. 

I'm not too scared of adding another piece to my rig, but I was just hoping the improvement in SQ would be worth it. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicHolyGhost View Post


Db2 balance out gives a fuller sound

Ohh, I see..

post #8822 of 14412
BTW, why where you interested in the DB2? Wouldn't it be better to get a dual WM8740 DAC instead if you are staying single ended?

Personally I would upgrade the amp.
post #8823 of 14412
Quote:
Originally Posted by lin0003 View Post

BTW, why where you interested in the DB2? Wouldn't it be better to get a dual WM8740 DAC instead if you are staying single ended?

Personally I would upgrade the amp.

Well, I liked my C5 as is (killer bass boost switch), and I thought I'd give the rig more juice and improvement in SQ via Coax, instead of Line-Out.

 

The DB2 is dual WM8740 (although I'd prefer some other DAC chip(s) instead of something so similar to that of the DX50).

 

I've looked into the AHA-120, and it'll seem like a good move, but with the lack of a switches/functions, I can't alter the sound to make it fun/engaging when I'm "in the mood". 

post #8824 of 14412

I currently have the 1.2.2 firmware on my DX50 is it worth upgrading to the 1.2.6 firmware?? is there any difference in sound etc?

 

thanks:)

 

- JT

post #8825 of 14412
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtaylor781 View Post
 

I currently have the 1.2.2 firmware on my DX50 is it worth upgrading to the 1.2.6 firmware?? is there any difference in sound etc?

 

thanks:)

 

- JT

 

i have mixed preference in this 2 FW.

right now i returned to 1.2.2.

better try 1.2.6 and if it is not ur cup of tea returned back to 1.2.2

post #8826 of 14412
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyBleu View Post
 

Well, I liked my C5 as is (killer bass boost switch), and I thought I'd give the rig more juice and improvement in SQ via Coax, instead of Line-Out.

 

The DB2 is dual WM8740 (although I'd prefer some other DAC chip(s) instead of something so similar to that of the DX50).

 

I've looked into the AHA-120, and it'll seem like a good move, but with the lack of a switches/functions, I can't alter the sound to make it fun/engaging when I'm "in the mood". 

Take a good look at the Ibasso D12. Dual WM8740 with a killer single-ended (op-amp rollable) amp. I've seen a couple of guys posting in this thread that it's a very nice addition to the DX50 :smile:

post #8827 of 14412
^^ This.
post #8828 of 14412
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyBleu View Post
 

Alrighty, so going from this, I'll assume balanced Vs. single-ended is not majorly different and I should not be stressing over it. 

I'm not too scared of adding another piece to my rig, but I was just hoping the improvement in SQ would be worth it. 

Going balanced with my RSA Intruder was probably one of the biggest jumps in sound quality I have done.  Immediate and noticeable difference for me.  Combining that with the jump to FLAC over mp3 this summer were revolutionary (to me).  I suggest you look into it if you are curious.

 

One good way to do it is to put a mini 4pin xlr connectors on your primary headphones.  Moon Audio did it for me, but if you can solder, it should not be a problem.  Put a mini xlr female on your headphone and make a couple of short jumpers.  mini to male xlr, and whatever your balanced connector is to male xlr. that way you don't really add bulk to your cables but you have versatility to your connectors.  (Not really sure of the male end or female end, cause i'm not looking at them.  Put the end with the little release button on the jumper.  And I had my jumper made 12 inches long.  Gives it good length to wrap around the side for tension relief.)

 

And as always, IMO, YMMV, to each his own, etc...

post #8829 of 14412
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorensiim View Post
 

Take a good look at the Ibasso D12. Dual WM8740 with a killer single-ended (op-amp rollable) amp. I've seen a couple of guys posting in this thread that it's a very nice addition to the DX50 :smile:

I have, and I plan to try one sometime in this Christmas break, but I'm not too sure if I want an amp that runs the same DAC chips as the DX50, because all that would do is just give it more power, as opposed to colouration in SQ. For all I know, I could run a DX50>DB2>D12, and have a combo of 5 WM8740's, which I'll assume wouldn't do all that much for the sound improvements. But yeah, when I'm free, I'll drop by my local audio shop and test out some amps. :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howlin Fester View Post
 

Going balanced with my RSA Intruder was probably one of the biggest jumps in sound quality I have done.  Immediate and noticeable difference for me.  Combining that with the jump to FLAC over mp3 this summer were revolutionary (to me).  I suggest you look into it if you are curious.

 

One good way to do it is to put a mini 4pin xlr connectors on your primary headphones.  Moon Audio did it for me, but if you can solder, it should not be a problem.  Put a mini xlr female on your headphone and make a couple of short jumpers.  mini to male xlr, and whatever your balanced connector is to male xlr. that way you don't really add bulk to your cables but you have versatility to your connectors.  (Not really sure of the male end or female end, cause i'm not looking at them.  Put the end with the little release button on the jumper.  And I had my jumper made 12 inches long.  Gives it good length to wrap around the side for tension relief.)

 

And as always, IMO, YMMV, to each his own, etc...

That's the thing here. Some will say it's a big jump, whilst others will say it was barely an upgrade. I, for one, can't say anything of it as of yet, seeing that I have yet to try out balanced/XLR stuff. Maybe at the next meet I could have a go at some balanced gear if any is available, but I don't think I'll be blown away. Why I say this? I tried the 1Plus2, which was a relatively big jump from a pair of regular $200 IEMs. Blown away? No. Sure, they sounded good and all, but I would've expected more for "the world's best IEMs" (at that time). 

 

Anyways, I will keep your words in mind, although I will have to try out this balanced-range before considering any purchases into that area.

 

Thanks for your explanation and advice though:)

post #8830 of 14412
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyBleu View Post
 

I have, and I plan to try one sometime in this Christmas break, but I'm not too sure if I want an amp that runs the same DAC chips as the DX50, because all that would do is just give it more power, as opposed to colouration in SQ. For all I know, I could run a DX50>DB2>D12, and have a combo of 5 WM8740's, which I'll assume wouldn't do all that much for the sound improvements. But yeah, when I'm free, I'll drop by my local audio shop and test out some amps. :)

You'd only be listening to two WM8740's at the most. The coax output of the DX50 bypasses the WM8740 in it ;)

post #8831 of 14412
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorensiim View Post
 

You'd only be listening to two WM8740's at the most. The coax output of the DX50 bypasses the WM8740 in it ;)

Oh, true that! Hmmmmmm.....but wouldn't that mean it'll still sound like a DX50? hahaha

 

Speaking of which...you've had a thread on the "perfect" amp for the '50. So...what amp are YOU buying, Soren?:)


Edited by SkyBleu - 12/17/13 at 4:47am
post #8832 of 14412
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyBleu View Post

I have, and I plan to try one sometime in this Christmas break, but I'm not too sure if I want an amp that runs the same DAC chips as the DX50, because all that would do is just give it more power, as opposed to colouration in SQ. For all I know, I could run a DX50>DB2>D12, and have a combo of 5 WM8740's, which I'll assume wouldn't do all that much for the sound improvements. But yeah, when I'm free, I'll drop by my local audio shop and test out some amps. smily_headphones1.gif
That's the thing here. Some will say it's a big jump, whilst others will say it was barely an upgrade. I, for one, can't say anything of it as of yet, seeing that I have yet to try out balanced/XLR stuff. Maybe at the next meet I could have a go at some balanced gear if any is available, but I don't think I'll be blown away. Why I say this? I tried the 1Plus2, which was a relatively big jump from a pair of regular $200 IEMs. Blown away? No. Sure, they sounded good and all, but I would've expected more for "the world's best IEMs" (at that time). 

Anyways, I will keep your words in mind, although I will have to try out this balanced-range before considering any purchases into that area.

Thanks for your explanation and advice though:)

Umm you are not combining the DACs on those chain. You can only use one and bypass the 2. If you want to try the dual wolfson DAC I think D12 makes more sense. Opamp rolling is an option which you can use to do more fine tuning.
post #8833 of 14412
Quote:
Originally Posted by headwhacker View Post


Umm you are not combining the DACs on those chain. You can only use one and bypass the 2. If you want to try the dual wolfson DAC I think D12 makes more sense. Opamp rolling is an option which you can use to do more fine tuning.

Oooh, so that's what OPamps are for! Fine-tuning the sound of the DAC chips. I understand now guys, don't worry!

 

I'll see, I'll look into it.

 

(BTW, are the OPamps in our C5/C5D's interchangeable?)

post #8834 of 14412
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyBleu View Post

Oooh, so that's what OPamps are for! Fine-tuning the sound of the DAC chips. I understand now guys, don't worry!

I'll see, I'll look into it.

(BTW, are the OPamps in our C5/C5D's interchangeable?)

not the dac but the amp section

C5D's amp not rollable
Edited by headwhacker - 12/17/13 at 4:59am
post #8835 of 14412
Quote:
Originally Posted by headwhacker View Post


not the dac but the amp section

Wait, so the C5 has an interchangeable OPamp option for us? Like the C421 did..?

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Source Gear
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › The iBasso DX50 Thread - Latest firmware: 1.5.0