Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › The iBasso DX50 Thread - Latest firmware: 1.5.0
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The iBasso DX50 Thread - Latest firmware: 1.5.0 - Page 559

post #8371 of 14399
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ishera View Post


Thanks it works. I hope implement something to let u delete cache without physically removing the card in their next update.

It appears the trigger to scan the media is the locking mechanism on the micro SD slot. I use a micro SD to full SD extender/adapter. If I eject then re-insert the SD from extender it does not trigger media scanning. I have to re-insert micro SD connector in the micro SD slot to trigger media scanning on DX50
post #8372 of 14399
Quote:
Originally Posted by jon parker View Post

Firmware Update 1.2.6
Some thoughts...

I LOVE
~ the new sensitivity of the screen
~ the new media scanning bar
~ the new background
~ larger and better album art

~~~ So thank you for those

but...I HATE

~ The sound quality. Now to some degree this is relatively subtle but even then it isn't pleasant. . .
The bass i find is bloomy, large and in general over bearing. It is now a main feature of the sound. (bear in mind I listen on Grados which are known for their clarity and highs so if the bass is too much on these then...!?)
It should be an equal partner between mids and highs and should not stand out
The characteristics of the bass assail my ears in quite a rude and over bearing way. By that I mean there are parts of words or instruments that punch through in an unpleasant way. For example if you go close to someone's ear and speak loudly but then really accentuate certain words, especially the 'p's and the 'b's. This is an exaggerated example of how the audio is now coming into my ears.
For example, in terms of headphones - Sometimes more bass = regular consumers out there thinking the headphone is better but I would think that this is really an Audiophile piece of kit and in that way I would imagine the emphasis going towards a perfect balance between low/mid and high would be the goal (in general!)

~ The EQ. The good news is I can now 'just about' hear the difference of the different presets but when I tries to alter the bass I refering to above it didn't work. Its hard to explain exactly why it didn't work but I will just say I have no confidence at all in the programming or implimentation of the iBasso DX50 EQ

~ With gapless -off- song endings and beginings are sometimes cut off and and with gapless -on- . . . well lets just say cross fades are interesting...but they are not a gapless function. gapless should be = gapless!!

~ I still think this is a magnificant player which I love but aside from v1.2.2 and 1.2.3 I have been quite dissapointed with the sound quality.
If iBasso wants to keep these different sound signatures as presets that would be wonderful and would keep everyone happy but I fear they might eventaully finally get the player OS right but leave it with a signature I / others wont like? (Being a player of this quality I believe that people headphones/IEM's makes a big difference)

Anyhoo, just some thoughts on the magical mystery tour of the dx50 smily_headphones1.gif

SQ difference could have a lot to do with the phones being used and/or external amp paired with. In my case I use JH16 and T1 most of the time. Been switching between 3 amps (O2, UHA4, C5D) but the FW experience has been consistent.

1.2.2 - fairly flat

1.2.3b - muddy bass (the least FW version I like)

1.2.5 - in between the 2 FW above. Extracts more details across the FR. Just a hair more bass impact than 1.2.2 but far from the mess with the bass in 1.2.3b.

1.2.6 - similar to 1.2.5 but has elevated bass response and still nowhere near that of 1.2.3b.

From my experience the FW updates barring 1.2.3b is a slow trickle of sonic improvement.
Edited by headwhacker - 12/10/13 at 6:45pm
post #8373 of 14399
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poimandres View Post


I truly appreciate your input as well, however most of us here could really careless if the title is updated on a thread. Follow the thread or don't it is entirely up to you and my last comment regarding this to prevent derailing.

My DX50 was supposed to ship today, does iBasso provide tracking information and how is expedited shipping sent to the US?

The first page can contain links to current FW and other information. It is very helpful and searching doesn't always bring up what a person needs. To me, it is part of the obligation of starting a thread on a major product such as this. Try reading all the pages, I think not for most. Have an informative up to date first page and it is a huge help. 

post #8374 of 14399
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamato8 View Post
 

The gapless will be fixed next FW. 

 

The comments on the bass I don't get. It is not overpowering on any of my music where it is recorded correctly. I also like the output very much to an amp and with the fi.Q, the sound to my ear is often reference when paired. 

 

It would be nice if the FW link and first page got an update. 


not overpowering bass? but do you consider DX50 (as of latest FW) as neutral, balance, or bass heavy?

post #8375 of 14399
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoekeat View Post
not overpowering bass? but do you consider DX50 (as of latest FW) as neutral, balance, or bass heavy?

I do not consider it bass heavy. Neutral, I will have to compare to my other daps more. If there is too much bass the TH900 let me know it real quick and I can't listen, I do not like too much or bass heavy. 

post #8376 of 14399

Hi, prospective customer considering purchasing the DX50 to replace/complement my 3yr old ailing Cowon D3.

 

I had a few questions which I've been trying to get info on in this thread, however I'd welcome up-to-date info given the frequent firmware updates. Using Rockbox as an App for Android on my D3 I liked being able to quickly add files/folders to playlists and then use Notepad in windows to reorganise/refine these *.m3u8 playlists. Definitely saves time with a massive playlist to work with the pc monitor when shifting songs around. So in light of that (and considering I'm a huge fan of custom playlists!):  

 

  1. Can you add an entire folder to a playlist or just individual songs one at a time?
  2. Has anyone located the playlist files on the DX50's internal memory yet? Earlier posts I saw on this topic said people were irked about losing their playlists with each firmware upgrade so I assume that initially this wasn't possible...hopefully changed now.
  3. Can the playlists be edited on a PC using Notepad or something else suitable?
  4. Are the playlists still lost with each upgrade?
  5. Can they be backed up onto an external device?
  6. Are there any limitations on the number of tracks in a playlist? (I did check the DX50 FAQ)
  7. From looking at some vids demonstrating the UI, I see that you can browse by folder. Since it appears to me that most people are browsing using tags, just wanted to check...would the DX50 UI suit someone who is used to and prefers to browse by folders/filetree (+custom playlists) alone?
  8. Lastly, I read earlier in the the thread that there is no difference in the build/design between batches, just the firmware. Is this still the case?

 

Any advice would be appreciated. It's taken me 18 months so save up for a PMP upgrade/replacement so this is a big investment for me.

 

Cheers

post #8377 of 14399
Quote:
Originally Posted by analogue 3 View Post
 

Hi, prospective customer considering purchasing the DX50 to replace/complement my 3yr old ailing Cowon D3.

 

I had a few questions which I've been trying to get info on in this thread, however I'd welcome up-to-date info given the frequent firmware updates. Using Rockbox as an App for Android on my D3 I liked being able to quickly add files/folders to playlists and then use Notepad in windows to reorganise/refine these *.m3u8 playlists. Definitely saves time with a massive playlist to work with the pc monitor when shifting songs around. So in light of that (and considering I'm a huge fan of custom playlists!):  

 

  1. Can you add an entire folder to a playlist or just individual songs one at a time?
  2. Has anyone located the playlist files on the DX50's internal memory yet? Earlier posts I saw on this topic said people were irked about losing their playlists with each firmware upgrade so I assume that initially this wasn't possible...hopefully changed now.
  3. Can the playlists be edited on a PC using Notepad or something else suitable?
  4. Are the playlists still lost with each upgrade?
  5. Can they be backed up onto an external device?
  6. Are there any limitations on the number of tracks in a playlist? (I did check the DX50 FAQ)
  7. From looking at some vids demonstrating the UI, I see that you can browse by folder. Since it appears to me that most people are browsing using tags, just wanted to check...would the DX50 UI suit someone who is used to and prefers to browse by folders/filetree (+custom playlists) alone?
  8. Lastly, I read earlier in the the thread that there is no difference in the build/design between batches, just the firmware. Is this still the case?

 

Any advice would be appreciated. It's taken me 18 months so save up for a PMP upgrade/replacement so this is a big investment for me.

 

Cheers

 

1) you can add entire albums, artists, etc. 

 

3 and 5) as far as i know, right now playlist is strictly on the DX50 =\

 

8) yes, they are all the same asides from FW

 

in my limited knowledge. Sorry =P

 

hopefully its a start and those more knowledgeable can cover me :etysmile:

post #8378 of 14399
I just did a quick (at least as quick as I could) switch between 1.2.3b, 1.2.5 and 1.2.6 just to confirm what I thought I was hearing. DX50, KRK KNS-8400 on HO jack w/ gain 2, EQ off, vol 195, factory reset after every firmware install. "Where Is My Mind" by Pixies, "2112" by Rush, "La Villa Strangiato" by Rush. CD rip -> ALAC -> FLAC. This isn't a proper A/B/C comparison since I have only one player and it takes about 5 minutes to do a the updates so there may be some amount of confirmation bias involved.

1.2.3b: bass is a bit boomy and... kind of muddy? Highs and upper-mids seem... weak? But dayam! the stereo separation is hugely wide.

1.2.5: clearer/cleaner sound than 1.2.3b up and down the range, less pronounced bass, much less separation. The "echo" in the 2112 Overture with 1.2.3b reaches out past my outstretched hands; the same echo in 1.2.5 barely reaches my elbows. This does explain why the Grado fans really, really hate 1.2.5.

1.2.6: bass is noticeably stronger than 1.2.5 but not hugely so and not boomy with my KRK's. A 6dB change would be boomy; this isn't nearly that. Upper-mids and highs may be stronger but I don't think my KRK's are sensitive enough to tell. Separation isn't quite as wide as 1.2.3b with the 2112 Overture echo reaching out to my wrists. I also much prefer the brushed metal look from 1.2.5 and prior.

I didn't keep 1.2.3b; I went back to 1.2.2 before I could grow accustomed to it. I like 1.2.5 except for the separation and it seemed better with the Classical EQ preset than the flat line. I like 1.2.6 aside from the background and the crossfade and I'm happy with the EQ off/flat. Your mileage may vary with other headphones and amplifiers.
post #8379 of 14399
Does anyone have an alternative link to FW 1.2.6? I tried Sorensiim's mirror yesterday, it took all night to download, and returned an "invalid image" error when I tried to install it on the DX50. I suspect there may be issues trying to download it from China.

Two favourite combinations at the moment:

Classical: DX50 / CustomArt silver IC / Tube Amp BL-2 / ZY cable 6N copper cable / DT250 (250 Ohm)

Jazz: DX50 / CustomArt silver IC / iBasso P4 / Grado SR225i
post #8380 of 14399
Playlist support at this time is... "poor" is an understatement. It's practically nonexistent. What DX50 calls playlists are stored on one of the data partition (I believe) along with user settings. Since a firmware update requires erasing this partition it means that your playlists get wiped every time. There is currently no way to save or edit these. Unfortunately, while it is Android under the hood, iBasso has stripped out almost everything that would make it possible to get at these files in the interests of minimizing the sizes of the firmware downloads.

As an aside, does anyone still reading this thread have a version 1.0 firmware image? Am I even allowed to ask for it?

Browsing by folder is definitely possible. In fact, it's required for USB On-the-Go devices (see the FAQ) as those aren't scanned like the internal store and uSD card.
post #8381 of 14399
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMaestro335 View Post

Hello,
Thanks for the quick reply. I to have HD 600s. I can't wait to check this player out! My player was just Shipped from Singapore to the US. Does any body know how long that usually takes, Express DHL?

mine shipped Tuesday and got here the following Monday, YMMV

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cotnijoe View Post
 

Just a quick question. How are you guys charging the DX50? I tried using one of those apple plug to USB jack things and it the DX50 doesnt seem to recognize that. I can only charge via laptop right now and that takes a good while :(

I use a Motorola phone wall charger or my note 3 charger.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiFlight View Post

I personally like the SQ of v1.2.6. better than any previous version. I have some well-done recordings of acoustic performances done by a friend of mine who I have heard live many times. These recordings when played through my reference IEM's sound amazingly similar to the live performances. I find I am much less inclined to now use an external amp.

Gapless seems to be working OK at the 5 sec. setting, however the sleep timer does not work properly. Most of the time it just stops the playback without shutting down the player and reverts back to the same file each time. Only once did I find that it actually shut down the player.

^^^ditto here I like the SQ and the bass with my UE7 pros...

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poimandres View Post


I truly appreciate your input as well, however most of us here could really careless if the title is updated on a thread. Follow the thread or don't it is entirely up to you and my last comment regarding this to prevent derailing.

My DX50 was supposed to ship today, does iBasso provide tracking information and how is expedited shipping sent to the US?

Yes, tracking number is provided, I even got an email from iBasso when they thought there was an issue with delivery being delayed, they did not realize I live in BFE and DHL uses a third party vendor to deliver in my area, so it took an extra day or so.  Funny thing is when I called DHL they didn't even know who had my package, which made my a little worried, but it got here which is all that matters in the end, right?

post #8382 of 14399
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJG888 View Post

Does anyone have an alternative link to FW 1.2.6? I tried Sorensiim's mirror yesterday, it took all night to download, and returned an "invalid image" error when I tried to install it on the DX50. I suspect there may be issues trying to download it from China.
It looks like iBasso pulled 1.2.6 it from their own servers, possibly due to the playback issues. The file was there Sunday. I downloaded it directly from there myself. It isn't there now.
post #8383 of 14399
Quote:
Originally Posted by Langenfelds View Post
 

Yes, but two days after I received the case… They sent it with TNT.


lol two days after xD

post #8384 of 14399
Quote:
Originally Posted by ratinox View Post


It looks like iBasso pulled 1.2.6 it from their own servers, possibly due to the playback issues. The file was there Sunday. I downloaded it directly from there myself. It isn't there now.

 

server as in the download section of ibasso.com?

post #8385 of 14399

I love the sound of v1.2.6.!! but I want to add more gapless setting. Sometimes 5 sec is too long, so it overlap with next song. but it's more uncomfortable when off the gapless. I think that It's useful that makes 1 or 3sec mode.  

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Source Gear
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › The iBasso DX50 Thread - Latest firmware: 1.5.0