Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › The iBasso DX50 Thread - Latest firmware: 1.5.0
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The iBasso DX50 Thread - Latest firmware: 1.5.0 - Page 551

post #8251 of 14813
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapiti View Post
 


Correct.

 

However, the situation is a bit better than this as a practical matter.

 

For example, the inherent thermal noise creates a noise floor of -120dB; that is, of 20 bits.  Thus in a 24-bit system there already is 4 bits which can be thrown away with no loss of fidelity through 24 dB of attenuation. It is not bit perfect, but there is no practical impact.

 

Additionally, no recording possesses a dynamic range of 120dB.  Consider a pop concert.  The sound level can easily reach 110dB peak, but will will not go below 60dB (the level of a conversation in a quiet room).  This is a dynamic range of only 50dB, easily captured by 9 bits.  One actually needs a few more bits for convincing fidelity, .but this illustrates the concept.

 

All digital volume controls through away bits to attenuate volume.  This is how they work.  However, a sophisticated 32-bit volume control can decrease the volume of even a 24-bit input by a minimum of 12 bits (72 dB) without even a theoretical quality loss - more as a practical matter.  (The DX50 has a 24-bit chip). 

So there's no point in playing 24 bit files, since they will drop out.

post #8252 of 14813
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramilacaponi View Post
 

So there's no point in playing 24 bit files, since they will drop out.


nope. iBasso says the volume is controlled by voltage change and not digital magic :) so 24 bits will be 24 even on volume set at 15

post #8253 of 14813
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexTES View Post

Here's their answer: "You can adjust the EQ for +/-6dB now. It is more than enough for a hifi player. We dont plan to have a larger adjustment."

To me, it's hard to misunderstand it. :-)
It's a subtractive EQ. It can't be + anything. Whoever wrote that either mistyped or misunderstood what they were typing and assumed that a 6dB adjustment was a +/- 6dB adjustment.
post #8254 of 14813
Quote:
Originally Posted by nihontoman View Post
 


nope. iBasso says the volume is controlled by voltage change and not digital magic :) so 24 bits will be 24 even on volume set at 15

Yes, thanks. Just read that.

It seems the digital volume acts on the analog signal, not shifting any bits. Good to know.

post #8255 of 14813
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramilacaponi View Post
 

Yes, thanks. Just read that.

It seems the digital volume acts on the analog signal, not shifting any bits. Good to know.


yep :) really reassuring. though iBasso really needs to cut the crap and give us back the gapless...

 

I'm testing the new firmware on how it deals with music on the main storage. all other firmware versions ****ed it up, we'll see what'll it do here.

post #8256 of 14813
Hi all
Where i can download new frimware,?
Thx
post #8257 of 14813
post #8258 of 14813
Thank you:)
post #8259 of 14813
Quote:
Originally Posted by ratinox View Post

It's a subtractive EQ. It can't be + anything. Whoever wrote that either mistyped or misunderstood what they were typing and assumed that a 6dB adjustment was a +/- 6dB adjustment.

Yeah, that's what I said earlier. Somebody in iBasso is making a mistake: either the support guy, or the programmer, or the design doc author, or the product architect. The entire picture they all provide is inconsistant and confusing.

(and there's no need to explain me how subtractive EQs work. Just see this post: http://www.head-fi.org/t/679473/ibasso-dx50-thread-new-4-firmware-update-v1-2-2/6660#post_9974401 :-)
post #8260 of 14813

can't we ask the moderators to giove this thread to someone else? you know, someone who actually cares about it :D sorensiim comes to mind. it needs update.

post #8261 of 14813

Quick question about charging battery.  So far I've been pretty careful when charging the batter, plug it into HTC One X AC adapter and then plug into wall.  Usually takes about 2 -3 hours, when finished charging I immediately unplug.  My question; is it alright to charge overnight?  Does the DX50 have some sort of smart charging circuitry that will prevent the battery from overcharging and damaging the battery or unit?

post #8262 of 14813
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramilacaponi View Post
 

So there's no point in playing 24 bit files, since they will drop out.

There's no point in playing 24 bit files either way.:)

post #8263 of 14813
Quote:
Originally Posted by nihontoman View Post

can't we ask the moderators to giove this thread to someone else? you know, someone who actually cares about it biggrin.gif sorensiim comes to mind. it needs update.

What's happened to GG?
post #8264 of 14813
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiman View Post


What's happened to GG?

 

ive been wondering that too...

post #8265 of 14813
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrGonzo View Post

Quick question about charging battery.  So far I've been pretty careful when charging the batter, plug it into HTC One X AC adapter and then plug into wall.  Usually takes about 2 -3 hours, when finished charging I immediately unplug.  My question; is it alright to charge overnight?  Does the DX50 have some sort of smart charging circuitry that will prevent the battery from overcharging and damaging the battery or unit?

No issues with letting it plugged overnight, that's how I charge mine. wink.gif
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Source Gear
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › The iBasso DX50 Thread - Latest firmware: 1.5.0