Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › The iBasso DX50 Thread - Latest firmware: 1.5.0
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The iBasso DX50 Thread - Latest firmware: 1.5.0 - Page 497

post #7441 of 14435
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gintaras View Post

Gonzo, i do not remember the link and away from my Mac where link was saved, just scroll back this thread since the link to manual was posted several times.
Also remember when updating firmware, after you done, restart player, reset to factory settings, then connect to PC and delete update parch, dx50 does not delete patch automatically like ak100 so if you do not do it manually you may run into problem later.

as regards jpg i am not sure but i do not want to mess around without reason especially when dx50 cannot read and show images anyway unless image embeded into music file.

Thanks, I was wondering if there was a manual for this device somewhere. I will search for it.
post #7442 of 14435
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gintaras View Post

third, do not mess with FW and scan, use folder look for playback, press folder you want and dx50 will spend one sec on scan particular folder, simple and problem free.

Not trying to question your listening methods, but wouldn't this limit you to having to listen to one folder at a time? If so, then owning this device wouldn't be worth it. I, myself, like to shuffle through 'All Music' on the device and I believe some others use this practice as well.

I scanned my music (about 27gb worth) with no problems and player starts up every time, from shut down, with a quick scan of my library (about a second) and I'm able to enjoy all my music and not just a particular folder.

If you can't use all the functions of the device, then would it really be worth it?

I just don't want people to think there are always a problem with scanning you music, but your method is probably the safest.
post #7443 of 14435
Gonzo, as hard core audiophile and music admirer i prefer to listen to albums as a whole and never use playlists or shuffle. first of all because different recordings have have different quality, volume and else settings and secondly because i want to hear the concept as intended by the author as concerns sequence of playing. i would never shuffle Pink Floyd or similar. hope you see my point.
post #7444 of 14435
Thread Starter 
Just to correct some misconceptions about jpg artwork files.

The DX50 can read jpg files and the way I make it work which will use the artwork during album browsing and display the artwork on the My Music page is to drop the file in your album directory under the folder.jpg name. That always works.
post #7445 of 14435
Gintaras, I see your point and wasn't questioning your listening practices, to each his own. I love my music as much as anyone, otherwise I would not be in this hobby. I just don't want folks to be afraid to scan the files. I believe if you have a clean library, then you should be safe to use this device without worries.
post #7446 of 14435
Gonzo, see your point too, fair enough and glad to hear that dx50 scan works fine.

Musicheaven, thanks, i stand corrected, but on some of albums i have this does not work, perhaps file resolution or what?
post #7447 of 14435

Trying the DX50 for the first time with partially broken in RE400s: I like the combination so far. Granted, I've only listened to a few songs so far by one particular artist (Esperanza Spalding) but it sounds damn good. The RE400s are more forward in the upper mids/lower highs than the BA200s, and Esperanza sounds really good. The mids, however, are much richer and fuller on the BA200s. The BA200s retain more texture and richness overall and are darker sounding than the re400s. 

 

We'll see how it holds up for other styles of music and other artists. 


Edited by disgruntleddave - 11/24/13 at 3:17pm
post #7448 of 14435
Quote:
Originally Posted by musicheaven View Post

Just to correct some misconceptions about jpg artwork files.

The DX50 can read jpg files and the way I make it work which will use the artwork during album browsing and display the artwork on the My Music page is to drop the file in your album directory under the folder.jpg name. That always works.

That's exactly how I do it.
post #7449 of 14435
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gintaras View Post

Gonzo, as hard core audiophile and music admirer i prefer to listen to albums as a whole and never use playlists or shuffle. first of all because different recordings have have different quality, volume and else settings and secondly because i want to hear the concept as intended by the author as concerns sequence of playing. i would never shuffle Pink Floyd or similar. hope you see my point.

I'm not a hard core audiophile but I share some of Gintaras' preferences. I don't like breaking up albums. I don't like shuffling within albums. Drilling down into directories, where each directory contains a single album's collection of files, is a fool-proof method for keeping entire albums intact and avoiding some of the remaining glitches in the DX50 player software.

 

On the flip side, I am a hard core Unix geek and I enjoy solving technical problems by hacking solutions together. My solution in the past to the album issue is to use playlists shuffled by albums. I wrote a little Python program to scan and randomize m3u playlist files by albums. I needed it because iTunes didn't have that option (it does now). I've taken that a step further with a shell script that scans through a shuffled m3u file, sets the album title for each track to the name of the playlist file, and sets the track numbers incrementally. To address the volume issue I've transcoded each track with ffmepeg using the volume filter and ReplayGain data from the original files. This gives me meta-albums containing thousands of tracks all set to the same baseline volume level.


The basic logic for the transcode looks like this:

 

  gain=`metaflac --show-tag=REPLAYGAIN_ALBUM_GAIN "source.flac" | sed 's/.*=//;s/ .*//'`

  ffmpeg -i "source.flac" -acodec flac -af volume=${gain}dB "destination.flac"

  metaflac --remove-replay-gain "destination.flac"

 

The whole jumble has been working well for me on my DX50 and I expect it will continue to work well until such time as iBasso implements playlists and ReplayGain.

post #7450 of 14435
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gintaras View Post

several advices i would have for dx50 buyers.

first and foremost, please read manual posted on headfi, will save you time and nerves.

second, keep it simple, use only music files and no jpg, log, txt, cue and other files.

third, do not mess with FW and scan, use folder look for playback, press folder you want and dx50 will spend one sec on scan particular folder, simple and problem free.

do not mess with FW, keep updates straight, do not roll back updates unless absolutely needed. And most important, after making FW update do not forget to reset dx50 to factory settings and then connect player to PC and delete update patch from the root manually.

all this will help you avoid most bugs and will save you time on reading negative rants, rather you will just have more time to enjoy music.

NB: as a user of Apple gadgets i found it this way works best because even apple can be buggy if you mess around.

Thank you.

 

While waiting for mine I'm organizing my flac's metadatas with foobar to be ready for the moment I get it,

 

Just can't wait anymore ;D


Edited by Hellkitchen - 11/24/13 at 3:29pm
post #7451 of 14435

OK - I'm in the club now too.  Got mine a few days ago from MP4Nation and am very happy with the sound through my ancient history Sennheiser 580s.

 

I poked around this forum and others to come to a decision about Fiio vs. iBasso and went with iBasso.  Got mine from batch 9 with 1.2.5 firmware.  Bought 2x 64GB Sandisk micro SD cards from B(ig) B(ox) store for cheap, loaded up a full card worth of Medieval, Renaissance, and Baroque tunes and off we go.  Sounds great.  But I have a problem - the middle physical button doesn't do anything.  The screen button works just fine though.

 

When song is playing pressing middle button doesn't pause.

When song is paused (with screen "button") middle button doesn't resume.

 

Is this a 1.2.5 firmware problem or do I have to send the player back to China?

 

Wrote to iBasso just before this and am awaiting a response.

 

Bummer.

post #7452 of 14435
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gintaras View Post


Musicheaven, thanks, i stand corrected, but on some of albums i have this does not work, perhaps file resolution or what?

May be possible, I extracted picture files from the web by searching for the album and never had any problems so I can't conclude on that. I guess it's impossible for you to test in a smaller scale because your microSD card is full I assume. If you ever going to buy a new one, that would be the best time to experiment. wink.gif
post #7453 of 14435
Quote:
Originally Posted by teaough View Post
 

OK - I'm in the club now too.  Got mine a few days ago from MP4Nation and am very happy with the sound through my ancient history Sennheiser 580s.

 

I poked around this forum and others to come to a decision about Fiio vs. iBasso and went with iBasso.  Got mine from batch 9 with 1.2.5 firmware.  Bought 2x 64GB Sandisk micro SD cards from B(ig) B(ox) store for cheap, loaded up a full card worth of Medieval, Renaissance, and Baroque tunes and off we go.  Sounds great.  But I have a problem - the middle physical button doesn't do anything.  The screen button works just fine though.

 

When song is playing pressing middle button doesn't pause.

When song is paused (with screen "button") middle button doesn't resume.

 

Is this a 1.2.5 firmware problem or do I have to send the player back to China?

 

Wrote to iBasso just before this and am awaiting a response.

 

Bummer.

 

Well, I'm afraid that its a defective unit.. :( 

 

Since I live really far from China I hope to avoid such problems!

post #7454 of 14435
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by teaough View Post

OK - I'm in the club now too.  Got mine a few days ago from MP4Nation and am very happy with the sound through my ancient history Sennheiser 580s.

I poked around this forum and others to come to a decision about Fiio vs. iBasso and went with iBasso.  Got mine from batch 9 with 1.2.5 firmware.  Bought 2x 64GB Sandisk micro SD cards from B(ig) B(ox) store for cheap, loaded up a full card worth of Medieval, Renaissance, and Baroque tunes and off we go.  Sounds great.  But I have a problem - the middle physical button doesn't do anything.  The screen button works just fine though.

When song is playing pressing middle button doesn't pause.
When song is paused (with screen "button") middle button doesn't resume.

Is this a 1.2.5 firmware problem or do I have to send the player back to China?

Wrote to iBasso just before this and am awaiting a response.

Bummer.

That's definitively a hardware issue. The buttons have been working since day 1 and I have upgraded up to 1.2.5. Unfortunately you might have to send it back.
post #7455 of 14435

Guys - Thanks for the bad news :-)  I was afraid of that.  I'll wait to see what the iBasso guys say and report back to this thread.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Source Gear
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › The iBasso DX50 Thread - Latest firmware: 1.5.0