Some updated thoughts about SU firmware.
* FLAC / IRR OFF / CPU-default settings with 1.3.3 sounds better than 1.3.5beta with same settings.
* In case of 1.3.5beta, FLAC / IRR ON / CPU-default setting sounds better than with IRR OFF.
* FLAC / IRR ON / CPU-default settings with 1.3.5beta seems to have more micro-detail and very neutral/flat sound signature with nothing noticeably boosted or recessed.
.5beta sounds kind of boring but not in bad way.
Still, maybe those are just my sensitive ears, but I think .5beta has more information in highs region and gets littlebit exhausting with longer listening with this setting.
After about 10min listening to Tesseract - Altered state and I feel fatigue by highs region.
* Setting CPU frequency to 312kHz with .5beta (IRR ON) turns sound littlebit softer/warmer/fuller and for example brings guitars more into focus but highs region still
has too much/bright information going on for my ears and gets exhausting. Still lacks littlebit dynamics and musicality. Littlebit airiness is also gained I think.
* Setting CPU frequency to 408kHz with .5beta (IRR ON) seems to bring back some airiness compared to 312kHz and lose littlebit intimacy in exchange.
Highs still too "informative" but tinybit better.
* Turning IRR OFF and setting CPU frequency to 408kHz with .5beta seems to bring back littlebit dynamics and highs region seems little more pleasant.
Littlebit airiness returns.
Compared to IRR On + CPU default, some of the soundstage from "back of the head" seems to be "returned".
I personally like this setting most with 1.3.5beta.
I`m assuming that analytical listeners will prefer 1.3.5beta with FLAC / IRR ON / CPU-312kHz.
But for enjoyable listening with more dynamics and musicality, listeners will probably prefer 1.3.3 with FLAC / IRR OFF / CPU-default settings.
Comparing was done with Fidelio X1 and Piston V2.1 16Ohm. I used all the time DX50 @ mid gain.
.5beta seems to lack littlebit dynamics and musicality plus too much going on in highs region IMO.
Who knows, maybe I`m going crazy with trying/comparing all those settings Anyway, I will probably return to 1.3.3 @ FLAC/irr OFF/CPU default.
Atm going to run .5beta @ FLAC / IRR OFF / 408kHz for some time.
Of course these are just my ears and subjective opinion but I hope it helps someone ;)
Edited by CoiL - 8/24/14 at 7:07am