Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Dedicated Source Components › New Bryston BDA-2 DAC Impressions Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

New Bryston BDA-2 DAC Impressions Thread - Page 4

post #46 of 130
Not to mention that ribbon cable doesn't look to be carrying signal in any way. Only meant to carry status' to the front panel for display.

Gear mentioned in this thread:

post #47 of 130
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoupRKnowva View Post

Not to mention that ribbon cable doesn't look to be carrying signal in any way. Only meant to carry status' to the front panel for display.

 

Exactly why I'd recommend it...even though we'd lose business if I did (as I have). Sometimes its best to recommend to one's customer what they need, not what you can sell. Makes for a better long term business relationship. :smile:

 

But even with flexible circuits (and the right design and material Dupont AP or Liquid Crystal Polymer) we've tested flexible circuits up to 10 GHz and the S Parameters look quite good. So no worries with a paltry 20 - 20, 000Hz. ;)

post #48 of 130

Ribbons are fine even for signal. 

 

Those companies with decades of experience know better than to skimp on several bucks for cable.

 

Internal of a very respectable dac with ribbon connecting each section =p

 

post #49 of 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoupRKnowva View Post

Not to mention that ribbon cable doesn't look to be carrying signal in any way. Only meant to carry status' to the front panel for display.

Oh I thought there was more than just that one. Thought I saw a photo of the internals with more circuit boards. Maybe I'm mistaken...

Edit:

My bad, the internal photo of the DAC with the ribbon cables I thought of was the Metrum Hex (http://www.nosminidac.nl/Inside_story_english.html - obviously doesn't seem to negatively affect the HEX's sound too much if at all... I think it's magic that drives all these good sounding DACs tbh :/
Edited by aive - 9/9/13 at 5:22am
post #50 of 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by preproman View Post

Where is the USB power coming from?

Response from Bryston: "The BDA2 generates its own [usb] supply, no galvanic isolation."
post #51 of 130

Has anyone tested this against the benchmark DAC2?

post #52 of 130
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by driftingbunnies View Post
 

Has anyone tested this against the benchmark DAC2?

 

I have actually....and the Benchmark DAC2 like the W4S DAC-2 suffers somewhat from the upper mid-range "shout' or "glare" that I've found with ESS Sabre based DACs that I've heard (the Peachtrees also suffer from this too).

 

The BDA-2 is a more resolving DAC that is more transparent and not as "lean" as the Benchmark can sound. That said the new Benchmark DAC is better than the original (that I wasn't much of a fan of).

post #53 of 130

I'll be posting impressions in the next few days about this dac. I had originally tried this dac a little while ago and compared it to the NAD M51 in the boutique I work at; I ultimately chose the NAD for its features and for its better match with my system. I couldn't tell you which is overall "better" as I did not spend enough time with the side by side.

 

Well, this week I've got a BDA-2 on loan and at home for myself. My system has been upgraded as well since my last listen, so hopefully the A/B will lead to very apparent changes in sound between the BDA-2 and the M51.

post #54 of 130

I, for one would appreciate your appraisal of these two DAC's.

post #55 of 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by wink View Post
 

I, for one would appreciate your appraisal of these two DAC's.

 

+1

post #56 of 130
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dleblanc343 View Post
 

I'll be posting impressions in the next few days about this dac. I had originally tried this dac a little while ago and compared it to the NAD M51 in the boutique I work at; I ultimately chose the NAD for its features and for its better match with my system. I couldn't tell you which is overall "better" as I did not spend enough time with the side by side.

 

Well, this week I've got a BDA-2 on loan and at home for myself. My system has been upgraded as well since my last listen, so hopefully the A/B will lead to very apparent changes in sound between the BDA-2 and the M51.

 

Excellent. I'm in the middle of writing up my BDA-2 review as we speak too. It'll be interesting to see how closely we hear things too. I've got my buddy's PWD2 as a reference (along with the notes I've made with my now sold W4S DAC-2). 

post #57 of 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacedonianHero View Post
 

 

Excellent. I'm in the middle of writing up my BDA-2 review as we speak too. It'll be interesting to see how closely we hear things too. I've got my buddy's PWD2 as a reference (along with the notes I've made with my now sold W4S DAC-2). 

 

I don't know if you've mentioned this, but did you say you preferred the Bryston to the PWD2 on your system? I'm hooking up the BDA2 right now before I got to bed, going to have a little listen without comparison, just for fun!

post #58 of 130
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dleblanc343 View Post

I don't know if you've mentioned this, but did you say you preferred the Bryston to the PWD2 on your system? I'm hooking up the BDA2 right now before I got to bed, going to have a little listen without comparison, just for fun!

I did mention that I prefer the BDA-2. smily_headphones1.gif
post #59 of 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacedonianHero View Post
 

 

Excellent. I'm in the middle of writing up my BDA-2 review as we speak too. It'll be interesting to see how closely we hear things too. I've got my buddy's PWD2 as a reference (along with the notes I've made with my now sold W4S DAC-2). 

 

OM goodness.  This is not a good thing for the PWD2.  We already know how much you "Don't" like it.  

post #60 of 130
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by preproman View Post
 

 

OM goodness.  This is not a good thing for the PWD2.  We already know how much you "Don't" like it.  

 

Actually I DO like the PWD2. 

:smile:

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Dedicated Source Components

Gear mentioned in this thread:

Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Dedicated Source Components › New Bryston BDA-2 DAC Impressions Thread