A PS500 perhaps?
Related Forum Threads
- Frequency response of the Grado SR60i Last post on 5/13/14 at 5:07am in Headphones (full-size)
- First Audiophile Headphones less than $100 - any suggestions? (Specifically Grado SR60 vs. JVC... Last post on 5/14/14 at 1:09pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- The Deals DISCUSSION Thread (READ THE FIRST POST!!!) Last post on Today at 7:19 pm in Members' Lounge (General Discussion)
- Grado SR 60i sound only comes out of one ear until I mess around with the jack for a while- can... Last post on 11/6/13 at 6:54am in Headphones (full-size)
- WTB: Grado SR-60 or SR-80 - Preferably, Not the "i" Series, but Let me Know What you... Last post on 11/8/13 at 11:02pm in Headphones for Sale / Trade
Brainwavz S5 Review: There are questions, and then there are questions that you get asked constantly. One of the most common requests of knowledge from me are on if unit X is better than unit...
I've received Concero HP from Ressonsense Labs for writing review in russian, but I want to share my thoughts with Head-Fi. As usual, I'll be somewhat brief, as I'm not so good in English, but I...
I’d like to thank John Seaber and the folks at JDS Labs for the C5D loaner unit. Accessories The C5D ships with a 1.5 foot USB mini-B cable, a set of four rubber stick-on feet and an...
This is a review of the upcoming FiiO X1 digital audio player (DAP). Until my first experience with X5, a little over half a year ago, I used to refer to all dedicated audio players as "mp3"...
It's annoying because I didn't read the manual so I naturally fitted the SE215's wrong, and then looked at videos and found the right fit. The SE215 lack bass with the foam tips, so I put on the...
Comfy full size phones - upgrade from Grado SR-60 - Page 2
Gear mentioned in this thread:
Well, I'm dithering over several fine suggestions. The Sonys (£130 on Amazon) and AKGs (not easily available in the UK) both sound like really good buys, and very comfy, but now I'm worrying that the quality difference over my Grados will be too slight. On the other hand, spending around £400-£450 gives me serious pause for thought. What's a realistic first headphone amp that would match well with the HD600s? I think I need to mull this one over for a while.
Look into the AKG Q701s. £220 on Amazon UK.
The O2 and ODAC amp/dac previously mentioned would be an excellent setup to drive either the HD600s or Q701s. Epiphany Acoustics sells it it in the UK: http://epiphany-acoustics.co.uk/products-page/dacs/e-dac-24bit-miniature-usb-dac/
A little update:
So, following an unexpected bonus, I bought the Sony MDR MA-900s new, and a very lightly used second-hand pair of HD600s.
The Sonys arrived about 10 days ago, and I've been using them constantly since. As promised, the soundscape is startling wide, with sounds popping up all over the place. The width of the soundstage can actually be a bit distracting at times, seemingly slightly removing presence from the centre stage. There's quite a bit of detail in the mid-highs, with some pretty smooth highs. They aren't bass monsters, but that's okay. I've really enjoyed listening to all sorts of music with them. They've very easy to drive. I rarely go more than one or 2 "notches" above zero on my iMac. The comfort is a bit weird though. They're very light. The earcups are VERY comfy indeed, sitting spaciously around my ears. The headband is a lot narrower than the wide, thin band on my Grados. It's very nicely padded, but since the pressure all seems to be located in a relatively small area, I definitely feel the pressure on the top of my head much more noticeably. This is undoubtedly and unfortunately annoying - not in a rage-inducing, defenstrative kind of way, more of a little itch that you have to scratch occasionally.
I just received the Sennheiser HD600s today, and I'm only driving them directly from my iMac thus far. However, even with that relatively weak source... oh my god. These are incredible. I can definitely see why they're commonly referred to as gateway phones. I'm currently listening to one of my favourite albums, Arvo Part's Tabula Rasa, and the clarity is just something that I haven't heard before. It feels like every delicate little nuance of the sound is given space to breathe. Part of that is undoubtedly the gorgeous, spacious arrangement, but it even works on much "hotter" pieces like Alt-J's An Awesome Wave, Aphex Twin's Richard D James LP, and Animal Collective's Merriweather Post Pavillion, Black Moth Super Rainbow's Dandelion Gum, and hell, even Jay Z & Kanye's West's Watch The Throne (it doesn't get much hotter than Church In The Wild or Ni**as In Paris). Back on tracks with more dynamic range, William Basinski's Watermusic 1 burbles along beautifully.
Comfort-wise, they're a little clampy, but despite being much heavier than the Sonys, the greater adhesion to the side of my head renders them much lighter on the top of it. Unfortunately, the earcups are a smidgen too small for my enormous earflaps, though it's not uncomfortable at all.
In short, I'm sold. Totally. Now I'm researching headphone amps and stressing out about lossless audio codecs. Dear god, what have you people done to me?
- Comfy full size phones - upgrade from Grado SR-60
- › Multi-IEM Review - 320 IEMs compared (Xiaomi Piston 2 added... 4 seconds ago
- › The iBasso DX50 Thread - Latest firmware: 1.5.0 1 minute ago
- › USB vs Optical Dac 1 minute ago
- › Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (Headphones, IEMs, Amps, DACs) 2 minutes ago
- › Havi B3 Pro-1 Impressions Thread 3 minutes ago
- › Budget USB DAC/AMP recommendations please. 3 minutes ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 4 minutes ago
- › iFi iDSD Micro DSD512 / PCM768 DAC and Headphone Amp. Impressions,... 5 minutes ago
- › The HeadAmp GS-X and GS-X MK2 Thread 7 minutes ago
- › Recommendations - Over ears with isolation or noise cancelation as... 9 minutes ago
- › Brainwavz S5 In Ear Headphones by bowei006
- › Resonessence Labs Concero HP by cleg
- › JDS Labs C5D by TheGame21x
- › FiiO X1 Ultraportable Hi-Res DAP by twister6
- › Shure SE215 by Existence
- › Audiofly AF140 In-Ear Headphones (Gray) by Loquah
- › Brainwavz R3 Dual Dynamic Driver Earphones by hans030390
- › Beats Solo 2.0 On-Ear Headphones (Red) by cb3723
- › Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO Closed Studio Headphones - 250 Ohms by MacroPower
- › Denon Urban Raver In-Ear Headphones, Blue (AH-C100BU) by MrTechAgent
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Exercise Headphones)