A PS500 perhaps?
Related Forum Threads
- Frequency response of the Grado SR60i Last post on 5/13/14 at 5:07am in Headphones (full-size)
- First Audiophile Headphones less than $100 - any suggestions? (Specifically Grado SR60 vs. JVC... Last post on 5/14/14 at 1:09pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- The Deals DISCUSSION Thread (READ THE FIRST POST!!!) Last post on Today at 7:43 pm in Members' Lounge (General Discussion)
- Grado SR 60i sound only comes out of one ear until I mess around with the jack for a while- can... Last post on 11/6/13 at 6:54am in Headphones (full-size)
- WTB: Grado SR-60 or SR-80 - Preferably, Not the "i" Series, but Let me Know What you... Last post on 11/8/13 at 11:02pm in Headphones for Sale / Trade
Hi guys, this is my first post and my first review, please consider too that I am not a native speaker, neither an audiophile. Right now I own a useless Fiio X3, its battery died and I have...
I'm not sure if this is the same model I got with my iPhone 4s or not. There have been tons of different models of these buds released for different i-devices. The ones that I received with my 4s...
I barely used them... got one pair and a few months later the left earpiece started cutting sound. The retail shop opened them and did a messy job, were working and then stopped. Got a 2nd pair,...
Wow...these cans seem to generate a lot of passion! Mr. Tech Agent's review below is a pretty tough act to follow, but I will try. 1st a quote from the literature that comes with the HD 650's:...
Final Audio Adagio III Quick Review Thanks to Hifiheadphones for the sample. Full review here http://www.head-fi.org/t/744122/final-audio-adagio-iii-review-by-mark2410 Brief: Oh god,...
Comfy full size phones - upgrade from Grado SR-60 - Page 2
Gear mentioned in this thread:
Well, I'm dithering over several fine suggestions. The Sonys (£130 on Amazon) and AKGs (not easily available in the UK) both sound like really good buys, and very comfy, but now I'm worrying that the quality difference over my Grados will be too slight. On the other hand, spending around £400-£450 gives me serious pause for thought. What's a realistic first headphone amp that would match well with the HD600s? I think I need to mull this one over for a while.
Look into the AKG Q701s. £220 on Amazon UK.
The O2 and ODAC amp/dac previously mentioned would be an excellent setup to drive either the HD600s or Q701s. Epiphany Acoustics sells it it in the UK: http://epiphany-acoustics.co.uk/products-page/dacs/e-dac-24bit-miniature-usb-dac/
A little update:
So, following an unexpected bonus, I bought the Sony MDR MA-900s new, and a very lightly used second-hand pair of HD600s.
The Sonys arrived about 10 days ago, and I've been using them constantly since. As promised, the soundscape is startling wide, with sounds popping up all over the place. The width of the soundstage can actually be a bit distracting at times, seemingly slightly removing presence from the centre stage. There's quite a bit of detail in the mid-highs, with some pretty smooth highs. They aren't bass monsters, but that's okay. I've really enjoyed listening to all sorts of music with them. They've very easy to drive. I rarely go more than one or 2 "notches" above zero on my iMac. The comfort is a bit weird though. They're very light. The earcups are VERY comfy indeed, sitting spaciously around my ears. The headband is a lot narrower than the wide, thin band on my Grados. It's very nicely padded, but since the pressure all seems to be located in a relatively small area, I definitely feel the pressure on the top of my head much more noticeably. This is undoubtedly and unfortunately annoying - not in a rage-inducing, defenstrative kind of way, more of a little itch that you have to scratch occasionally.
I just received the Sennheiser HD600s today, and I'm only driving them directly from my iMac thus far. However, even with that relatively weak source... oh my god. These are incredible. I can definitely see why they're commonly referred to as gateway phones. I'm currently listening to one of my favourite albums, Arvo Part's Tabula Rasa, and the clarity is just something that I haven't heard before. It feels like every delicate little nuance of the sound is given space to breathe. Part of that is undoubtedly the gorgeous, spacious arrangement, but it even works on much "hotter" pieces like Alt-J's An Awesome Wave, Aphex Twin's Richard D James LP, and Animal Collective's Merriweather Post Pavillion, Black Moth Super Rainbow's Dandelion Gum, and hell, even Jay Z & Kanye's West's Watch The Throne (it doesn't get much hotter than Church In The Wild or Ni**as In Paris). Back on tracks with more dynamic range, William Basinski's Watermusic 1 burbles along beautifully.
Comfort-wise, they're a little clampy, but despite being much heavier than the Sonys, the greater adhesion to the side of my head renders them much lighter on the top of it. Unfortunately, the earcups are a smidgen too small for my enormous earflaps, though it's not uncomfortable at all.
In short, I'm sold. Totally. Now I'm researching headphone amps and stressing out about lossless audio codecs. Dear god, what have you people done to me?
- Comfy full size phones - upgrade from Grado SR-60
- › Dunu DN-1000 - Dunu's hybrid IEM - Impressions thread 15 seconds ago
- › The Deals DISCUSSION Thread (READ THE FIRST POST!!!) 31 seconds ago
- › Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread 2 minutes ago
- › PC Enthusiast-Fi (PC Gaming/Hardware/Software/Overclocking) 2 minutes ago
- › NEW! SONY NWZ-A10 Series Walkman. Micro SD Card Slot! 2 minutes ago
- › Music Game IX 2 minutes ago
- › [REVIEW] Aurisonics ASG-2 (Updated with ASG-2.5 and Tralucent Ref 1) 3 minutes ago
- › New User :D Looking for recommendations on equipment for desktop... 3 minutes ago
- › For Sale: Meier-Audio Corda Concerto headphone amplifier 3 minutes ago
- › Time to upgrade again 4 minutes ago
- › Bose QuietComfort 20i Acoustic Noise Cancelling Headphones by yialanliu
- › KEF M200 Hi-Fi In-Ear Headphones, Aluminum/Black by 10shot9miss
- › iBasso DX90 Portable Digital Audio Player by Arturoo123
- › Apple iPod Earphones Headphones for iPod Nano, Touch & Classic by GoldenGuy66
- › Shure SE215 by damianmb
- › Sennheiser HD 650 Headphones by Willy 2 Streams
- › Final Audio Design Adagio III by mark2410
- › Sennheiser HD 600 by paara
- › AKG K702 65th Anniversary Edition by gabrielnorena
- › Brainwavz R3 Revised Edition by lecky
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)