Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Computer Audio › Suitable amp/soundcard for Beyerdynamic DT990 250 ohm pro?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Suitable amp/soundcard for Beyerdynamic DT990 250 ohm pro? - Page 2

post #16 of 29
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleAngel View Post

The output impedance is not what drives the headphones, I believe is voltage and current.

My O2 amplifier's output impedance is less then 1-Ohm, but the O2 can drive 600-Ohm headphones.

ah, excuse my ignorance, I'm still quite new to this.

Well, in that case, I think I will go for this setup. My only convern, however, is that there is no where to plug in my speakers (logitech z2300). They use one 3.5, which will be occupied on the sound card by the amp, so what can I do about this? I know splitters exist, but then both will play at the same time, right? Unless there is a splitter that has some sort of a switch that enables me to switch between outputs, I think it'd annoy me. Do you know of any (preferably inexpensive, as I am already spending a tad more than I intended) solution for this?

thanks!

post #17 of 29

There are fairly cheap switch boxes available, you can find some here. Most of them seem to have RCA connectors, so you will also need 1/8" jack to RCA cables.

post #18 of 29
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by stv014 View Post

There are fairly cheap switch boxes available, you can find some here. Most of them seem to have RCA connectors, so you will also need 1/8" jack to RCA cables.

Actually, I just realised, the volume module on my Z2300's has a headphone jack. I could plug the speakers into the jack on the amp, then use the jack on the module for my headphones! However, would this create any interference or degrade the sound quality at all?? 

post #19 of 29

I do not know, it depends on how the headphone jack of the Z2300 is implemented. If it has its own headphone amplifier with a volume control (or just a passive volume control), it could be worse than the O2. The configuration you described (sound card -> O2 -> Z2300 -> headphones) would make sense if the headphone jack is simply directly connected to the input of the Z2300, however, that might very well not be the case.

 

So, it is to safer to go with sound card -> switchbox/splitter -> O2, Z2300. You can also use the front panel jack of the PC as an alternate (switchable in the Xonar control center) output, but front panel jacks are often prone to interference.


Edited by stv014 - 9/2/13 at 3:32am
post #20 of 29
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by stv014 View Post

I do not know, it depends on how the headphone jack of the Z2300 is implemented. If it has its own headphone amplifier with a volume control (or just a passive volume control), it could be worse than the O2. The configuration you described (sound card -> O2 -> Z2300 -> headphones) would make sense if the headphone jack is simply directly connected to the input of the Z2300, however, that might very well not be the case.

 

So, it is to safer to go with sound card -> switchbox/splitter -> O2, Z2300. You can also use the front panel jack of the PC as an alternate (switchable in the Xonar control center) output, but front panel jacks are often prone to interference.

I take it that an O2 is an amp? because I will be using  a PAV2 amp..

but yes, I will go with the latter, just to be safe. However, shouldnt it be soundcard -> amp -> switchbox/splitter-> z2300, dt990, etc?

post #21 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by gonefission View Post

I take it that an O2 is an amp? because I will be using  a PAV2 amp..

but yes, I will go with the latter, just to be safe. However, shouldnt it be soundcard -> amp -> switchbox/splitter-> z2300, dt990, etc?

 

You do not need an amplifier for the speakers (and if they were passive, a headphone amplifier would not be enough to drive them anyway).

post #22 of 29
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by stv014 View Post

 

You do not need an amplifier for the speakers (and if they were passive, a headphone amplifier would not be enough to drive them anyway).

oh ok, well thank you! I guess that answers al of my questions for now!


Edited by gonefission - 9/2/13 at 1:53pm
post #23 of 29
Thread Starter 

Well I did some digging around, and this guide is making exactly what I want. I have some basic electronics skills, and there is an electronics teacher at my school who would easily be able to help, what do you guys make of it? Someone in the comments was talking about a ground loop isolator to reduce speaker hum, does that seem necessary? 

post #24 of 29

It depends on whether you actually hear any hum or noise. Also, if your speakers and headphone amp are not grounded in the first place (I see the Z2300 only has a 2-prong AC connector ?), then you probably will not need one.

post #25 of 29
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by stv014 View Post
 

It depends on whether you actually hear any hum or noise. Also, if your speakers and headphone amp are not grounded in the first place (I see the Z2300 only has a 2-prong AC connector ?), then you probably will not need one.

 

Yep, it has one of those. And okay, I don't really know much about electronics, like I said, but if you think its all right, I'll take your word for it, thank you!

post #26 of 29

Hey Guys,

I'm reviving this thread because I'm in a similar situation.

 

I'll get a DT 900 Pro 250 Ohm, but my machine is a laptop with a simple onboard audio card.

In this thread you advice for an Asus Xonar DX. It isn't suitable for my situation, after some research. I found Asus Xonar U7, Some guys say it has the performance of a Xonar DX. And there is U7's rival the X-Fi HD.

 

My Question is:

Does an Asus Xonar U7 worth in my situation? Or Should I run for an X-Fi HD?

Reminding, this portable sound card already has a DAC, but his output is for 32 Ohm until 150 Ohm.

In another way, Creative X-Fi has a bigger output impedance, but Not a DAC if I remember well.

 

PA2V2 looks like a great headphone amp. Will this amp interfere the CMSS 3D or Dobly 3d technologies?

 

Just one details, my goal is a gaming audio system, but really comfortable for hours of music and cinema at home.

 

Thanks in advance.

post #27 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buga View Post

Hey Guys,
I'm reviving this thread because I'm in a similar situation.

I'll get a DT 900 Pro 250 Ohm, but my machine is a laptop with a simple onboard audio card.
In this thread you advice for an Asus Xonar DX. It isn't suitable for my situation, after some research. I found Asus Xonar U7, Some guys say it has the performance of a Xonar DX. And there is U7's rival the X-Fi HD.

My Question is:
Does an Asus Xonar U7 worth in my situation? Or Should I run for an X-Fi HD?
Reminding, this portable sound card already has a DAC, but his output is for 32 Ohm until 150 Ohm.
In another way, Creative X-Fi has a bigger output impedance, but Not a DAC if I remember well.

PA2V2 looks like a great headphone amp. Will this amp interfere the CMSS 3D or Dobly 3d technologies?

Just one details, my goal is a gaming audio system, but really comfortable for hours of music and cinema at home.

Thanks in advance.

I don't have any experience with either of those two USB DAC/amps. So I can't help you there.

Check out this portable amp shootout:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/596482/the-sub-100-portable-amps-shootout-11-1-amps-compared
The PA2V2 is in there with others. For the money, I would probably go with a FiiO E11 with the extra battery pack.
post #28 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145 View Post

I don't have any experience with either of those two USB DAC/amps. So I can't help you there.

Check out this portable amp shootout:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/596482/the-sub-100-portable-amps-shootout-11-1-amps-compared
The PA2V2 is in there with others. For the money, I would probably go with a FiiO E11 with the extra battery pack.
Hey Cel, that topic was really instructive. Unfortunately, those AMPs aren't simple to be found where I live.

Anyway, thank you for your answer. I'm just think about the difference of 32 and 250 ohms versions.
post #29 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buga View Post

Hey Cel, that topic was really instructive. Unfortunately, those AMPs aren't simple to be found where I live.

That's too bad. Some of those amps are available for purchase from international vendors at very good prices.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Computer Audio
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Computer Audio › Suitable amp/soundcard for Beyerdynamic DT990 250 ohm pro?