Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › Samsung Galaxy Note 3 (24-bit/192KHz)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Samsung Galaxy Note 3 (24-bit/192KHz) - Page 42

post #616 of 674

At the end I have installed Viper4Android and I have to admit that it's a big improvement. Specially using the ddc for my Momentum.

Which settings do you suggest for the playback gain control? Slight or Moderate and then the Max gain and output?

 

Thanks

Gear mentioned in this thread:

post #617 of 674

Hello strangers. I haven't been around these parts in quite a while. I recently converted from an iPhone 5 to the Note 3. I have to say this is by far the best phone I've ever had.

Anyways to the points of this post.

 

1) I'm curious to see how many people here are running rooted vs stock?

2) If rooted, which rom are you using?

3) Which player app are you using?

4) Which portable amp/dac are you using? (Thinking about getting the FiiO E18)

5) This one is going to be subjective I know, I'm trying to figure out which are the best IEMs for this kind of a setup, that have an inline mic? (I've been using my Klipsch s4i from my iPhone, but obviously the volume controls don't work on Android phones since this is the "i" version) <- any suggestions? (fan of Grado SR225 / Denon D2000 sound)'

6) Most of all, can we get some more ear pr0n in here with some pics of peoples N3 rigs, or at least links to their posts in the Pictures of Your Portable Rig sections :)

 

Thanks again. I'm still going through this thread, I'm sure some of what I've asked has been discussed throughout the 42 pages. 

post #618 of 674
@MrFaust

Hello.

I'm rooted, running a TW based ROM called Tweaked. I also run AOSP called SlimKat.

I had the Fiio E18,its a fine unit. Best bang for your buck in my limited experience. I recently dropped $700+ on A RSA Intruder, for a marginal improvement. Now, that's not running fully balanced, which I should see a bit better improvement. IMHO, Fiio E18,you can't go wrong. I also sold it in 1 day for a fair price. Easy resell if you choose to upgrade or don't like.

Not offering advice on IEMS, this is a new hobby to me. I can only tell you that the money I dropped on IEMS was the best money I've spent. I'd say before wasting any money on amps, cables, or anything, get the nicest pair of IEMS you can find and afford. I love my IEMS. Just running them without anything so d's incredible. I went with the very controversial Heir Audio 8.a.

I could take some pics later if nobody does, but they won't be anything special.

Check out xda developers for rooting. if you need help or advice, drop me a PM. I'm very familiar with rooting this device I was a tester for both ROM chefs I mentioned, when I wasn't as busy with work. Good luck!!


I use a couple of different players, but my favorite is NexMusic. Neutron is another awesome player.
Edited by warrior1975 - 5/2/14 at 6:18am
post #619 of 674
Quote:
Originally Posted by warrior1975 View Post
 

True dat. Marginal effect on getting the top amps, dacs or cables compared to spending good money on the IEMs. Would rather combine all that money spent on buying great IEMs instead, then a good DAP. 

post #620 of 674

My wallet is no stranger to these parts :P I was pretty active here before I was married with child. Man do I miss my old rigs. Anyways, I'm still scouting out which IEMs are for me for this portable setup. Honestly if I could find the right IEMs, then I might not need an amp. I probably went through 15-20 amps on my old portable rig and finally settled on running amp-less. But it seems if you want great IEMs, you loose the inline mic option. 

 

I stopped at Fry's Electronics this morning on the way in to see what their options were. I picked up a pair of Munitio Nines BLK. Very bass heavy in the 30 minutes I've listened to them. I'm sure I could find a good EQ setting in Poweramp with some toying around.

 

Thanks Warrior1975 for the input on the E18. I may hit you up on the rooting thing. I've seen some tricky things with rooting this phone.

post #621 of 674
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFaust View Post
 

My wallet is no stranger to these parts :P I was pretty active here before I was married with child. Man do I miss my old rigs. Anyways, I'm still scouting out which IEMs are for me for this portable setup. Honestly if I could find the right IEMs, then I might not need an amp. I probably went through 15-20 amps on my old portable rig and finally settled on running amp-less. But it seems if you want great IEMs, you loose the inline mic option. 

 

I stopped at Fry's Electronics this morning on the way in to see what their options were. I picked up a pair of Munitio Nines BLK. Very bass heavy in the 30 minutes I've listened to them. I'm sure I could find a good EQ setting in Poweramp with some toying around.

 

Thanks Warrior1975 for the input on the E18. I may hit you up on the rooting thing. I've seen some tricky things with rooting this phone.

I'm using viper4android on my note 3 and my recommendation would be to spend more on the iem's and forget the amp-I don't think it's necessary. I'm using ie800's but I'm sure you can get great sound for less money. 

post #622 of 674
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miracle1980 View Post
 

At the end I have installed Viper4Android and I have to admit that it's a big improvement. Specially using the ddc for my Momentum.

Which settings do you suggest for the playback gain control? Slight or Moderate and then the Max gain and output?

 

Thanks

 

Nobody?

I also wanted to ask if you use the volume sound hack mod together with V4A... any issues with that?

 

Thanks

post #623 of 674
I was using Viper4Android with the higher settings myself. Volume mod by Jovy23? Id skip that with V4A.

I also lowered my gain settings a bit, but I use and amp. Most people I know use slight or moderate gains though.
post #624 of 674

Gentlemen, I have to admit that I need some help & advices here.  I got lost with the technical stuff like "rooting", "ROMing", "UAPP"...

 

So, let me summarize what I need and someone could may be guide me step by step (Head-Fi for Dummies) 

 

I have a HUGO USB DAC/AMP that I love.  I use today a AK100 as a source. SQ is good, but UI is prehistoric and there is no possibility to stream Music from internet

 

So... I need a very good source for the HUGO that :

 

    - Can stream-out 24/192 to the HUGO without Downsampling the music. I want HUGO to received the native bitrate and play the music with the BEST SQ possible.

    - Can stream Internet Radio & HD plateforme like Qobuz (to discover new music) 

    - offer expansion memory to accept my large High-Res music library

    - offer a player that offer a very pleasant and powerful UI with good playlist support.

    - I DO NOT INTEND TO USE THE NOTE 3 AS A PHONE !  JUST AS AN AUSIO PLAYER WITH WIFI FOR STREAMING MUSIC FROM INTERNET

    - I DO NOT INTEND TO USE THE INTERNAL DAC/AMP.  I WILL USE IT ONLY AS A SOURCE FOR MY HUGO DAC.

 

 

So I thought about the Note3 (and it's BIG Screen :-), with the idea to :

        - install on it Qobuz and some other Internet radio, 

        - use an MicroSD>SD adapter to use  256 Gb SD card

        - and find an Android player, with a better UI than UAPP, that could still play 24/192 (no real need for DSD) through my HUGO ( I like for example BlackPlayer that has a Gorgeous UI & playlist support, but... I do not know if it can play 24/192 to my hugo)

 

So, I have some questions:

*************************************

       - What is the benefit of rooting ? Changing ROM ? does it improve SQ also when using an external DAC ?

       - is UAPP still the ONLY player that can play & stream 24/192 to an external dac ?  Are there "better looking"  player with excellent SQ (still, when using an external DAC)

       - Can someone help by telling me exactly what to do, what to install on it, WHAT TO DESACTIVATE (that is not usefull for my application, and reduce SQ or battery)

 

Thanks in advance

 

 

 

BlackPlayer :-)

 

 


Edited by bmichels - 5/2/14 at 11:21pm
post #625 of 674
I feel rooting the Note 3,especially for your use would help significantly. Think of a computer, Windows, it's giving you admin access basically. When you root you have full control over your device. Right now there is a ton of pre-installed crap on your phone, with rooting you can eliminate a good portion of that. To make your life easier, you can flash different ROMS, ones that are "debloated". You will save battery and a ton of space.

As far as SQ, when you root you will be able to install Viper4Android, which to me, is the best mod for audio for the Note 3. Otherwise the sound, at least to me, and more than a handful of others I know dislike it.

I will let someone else answer about different music options, as I'm not as well versed with that subject.
post #626 of 674
Quote:
Originally Posted by warrior1975 View Post

I feel rooting the Note 3,especially for your use would help significantly. Think of a computer, Windows, it's giving you admin access basically. When you root you have full control over your device. Right now there is a ton of pre-installed crap on your phone, with rooting you can eliminate a good portion of that. To make your life easier, you can flash different ROMS, ones that are "debloated". You will save battery and a ton of space.

As far as SQ, when you root you will be able to install Viper4Android, which to me, is the best mod for audio for the Note 3. Otherwise the sound, at least to me, and more than a handful of others I know dislike it.

I will let someone else answer about different music options, as I'm not as well versed with that subject.

 

thanks for this first answer.   Can you explain why Viper4Android  improve SQ when we don't use the internal DAC, and just want the DAP to send out date to an EXTERNAL DAC ? 

 

Also, is there a patch/program  than allow to use some of the physical butons of the NOTE 3 to  Pause/Play  &  Skip-forward  when playback ? Something to reprogram them.. ?

post #627 of 674
It still worked using my USB out, going to my Fiio E18. I haven't tried it with my intruder as I'm waiting on a custom cable. Not really sure how it works at all to be honest, that's above my pay grade. Sorry. You may be able to understand it better than I can. Just Google Viper4Android XDA, there is a tremendous thread on it over there.

I was able to use my volume up and down (long press) to ff/rw, that was something baked into my custom ROM, but there are other options for that as well. IIRC Xposed will allow you to do that option and even possibly some of the music players. See attached screen shot for some V4A options: screen **** not working, but it just shows that it allows you to control usb/dock through V4A.
Edited by warrior1975 - 5/2/14 at 11:41pm
post #628 of 674

I'm too lazy to trawl around XDA, so can someone tell me if Knox 0x1 has been 'fixed' yet, if rooting from KK?

 

If not will sell my N9005...

post #629 of 674
@duncan- Not as far as I know.
post #630 of 674
Has anyone had any experience with US Triplefi 10vi or UE900 with the mic and controls cable on the Note 3? I reading mixed reports on if the controls work or not on Samsung phones.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Source Gear

Gear mentioned in this thread:

Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › Samsung Galaxy Note 3 (24-bit/192KHz)