Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Computer Audio › Having trouble Foobar and EAC
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Having trouble Foobar and EAC

post #1 of 14
Thread Starter 

I'm a total beginner and I don't have that much experience with each of the programs and I'm having a couple of issues with each of the programs. When I start Exact Audio Copy the songs on the CD are listed as track01...track12. How do I get the name of the song and other information about the cd in the program? What should be my next step be? Should I press the "wave"  button which says "copy tracks uncompressed" or the "CMP" button that says "copy tracks compressed"? After that how do I get the songs into foobar? Sorry if this is a dumb question but until now I've only used a regular standard cd player so this is all new to me.


Edited by Jtom94 - 8/25/13 at 7:53pm
post #2 of 14

You have to set freedb up with your email address. EAC>metadata options.

 

The other depends on what kind of files you want. Most around here use FLAC, which is lossless compression. For this you would select CMP after it's set up for FLAC.

 

EAC>Compression options>External Compression.

 

You might want to rerun the setup. It goes through all of this.

 

You then have to point Foobar to where the files are.

 

File>preferences>Media Library


Edited by Radioking59 - 8/25/13 at 7:54pm
post #3 of 14
Thread Starter 

 I'm doing the email sign up right now.
 

post #4 of 14
Thread Starter 

Oops. I posted my a comment twice.


Edited by Jtom94 - 8/26/13 at 2:25am
post #5 of 14
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radioking59 View Post

You have to set freedb up with your email address. EAC>metadata options.

 

The other depends on what kind of files you want. Most around here use FLAC, which is lossless compression. For this you would select CMP after it's set up for FLAC.

 

EAC>Compression options>External Compression.

 

You might want to rerun the setup. It goes through all of this.

 

You then have to point Foobar to where the files are.

 

File>preferences>Media Library

I still can't manage to get the name of the song, artist and album name when I use EAC. I clicked EAC-> Metadata Options-> FreeDB. I entered my email address and clicked on the "Get active freedb server list" but nothing has happened. I don't know if I'm supposed to do something else in addition to that or change some other setting or what else I have to do. Is that all I have to do to get the metadata to appear when I rip a CD?

 

After I used EAC the songs went into a folder on my desktop called "new music". Since I don't have the name of the songs or artist each song was for example "02 Track02" or "03 Track03" and the name of the file was VLC media file(.flac). In foobar I did as you suggested and tried File->Preferences-> Media Library. I clicked "add" next to the Music Folders box and selected my folder "new music" that is located on my desktop. The problem is the folder is empty when viewed through Foobar though the steps File->Preferences->Media Library but the songs appear when I click on the folder out of Foobar. I don't know if that makes sense but somehow the .flac files in my "new music" folder are not being detected within foobar when I try to add them though File->Preferences->Media Library.

 

I tried another way of adding the  files in my "new music" folder into foobar. I clicked File->Add Files (the files in my "new music" folder were detected and recognized) and I selected the 18 songs in my "new music" folder and then pressed "open". The weird thing is the songs appear and they do play but there is absolutely no sound. I know the songs are playing because there are bouncing bars going up and down in a box next to the volume selector. It's weird because when I try to play the audio .flac file in foobar there is no sound and also no sound to anything else on my computer. Sound to the rest of my computer is restored only after I close foobar. It sounds like Wasapi but I checked File->Preferences->Components and Wasapi is none of the added components. Don't know how to solve this.

 

Do I have incorrect settings or did I mess something up or do I need to download something to make this work?


Edited by Jtom94 - 8/26/13 at 2:28am
post #6 of 14

To get the CD metadata.

 

EAC menu > EAC options > General Tab | tick on unknown CDs and then select automatically access online metadata database.
 

 

You might want to change the directory structure when you rip as well.

 

EAC menu > EAC options > Filename Tab.

 

e.g.

so for Artist\Year - Album\tracknumber. Title use

 

%albumartist%\%year% - %albumtitle%\%tracknr2%. %title%

 

in the naming scheme box.

 

tweak the box below it for various artists cds.


Edited by A_Man_Eating_Duck - 8/26/13 at 1:38am
post #7 of 14
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Man_Eating_Duck View Post

To get the CD metadata.

 

EAC menu > EAC options > General Tab | tick on unknown CDs and then select automatically access online metadata database.
 

 

You might want to change the directory structure when you rip as well.

 

EAC menu > EAC options > Filename Tab.

 

e.g.

so for Artist\Year - Album\tracknumber. Title use

 

%albumartist%\%year% - %albumtitle%\%tracknr2%. %title%

 

in the naming scheme box.

 

tweak the box below it for various artists cds.


I tried EAC menu > EAC options > General Tab but the option for "automatically access online metadata database" is greyed out and not a clickable option. Maybe i selected an option somewhere else in the program that says I want to manually retrieve the metadata and that's why the option for "automatically access online metadata database" is greyed out and not a clickable option?


Edited by Jtom94 - 8/26/13 at 4:18am
post #8 of 14

you need to tick "on unknown CDs" first

 

 

make a screenshot if you are still having problems.

post #9 of 14
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Man_Eating_Duck View Post

you need to tick "on unknown CDs" first

 

 

make a screenshot if you are still having problems.

 

 

I checked the "On unknown CD's" box and the option for "automatically access online metadata database" is still greyed out and not a clickable option. I'm not sure why that's happening.

 

I feel dumb and I figured out why there was no sound in foobar when I first tried to play my audio files. I mistakenly selected the wrong option in Preference>Playback>Output>Device. I selected "Digital Output (Asus Xonar Essence St Audio Device)" instead of "Speakers (Asus Xonar Essence St Audio Device)" in the device drop down menu.


Edited by Jtom94 - 8/26/13 at 3:31pm
post #10 of 14

what version of EAC are you using, you seem to be missing options on the gernal tab.

post #11 of 14
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Man_Eating_Duck View Post

what version of EAC are you using, you seem to be missing options on the gernal tab.

Exact Audio Copy V1.0 Beta 3 from 29. August 11. 

 

I don't know if this is an older version of EAC but should I try to install a newer or different version?

 

I had a question about compression settings. Do they look like they're set correctly?

 

post #12 of 14

ok i've figured out why it stays ghosted.

 

EAC Menu > EAC options > tools tab | unselect Activate beginner mode.....

 

close the EAC options window and reopen it. try to enable "On unknown CDs > Automatically access online metadata database".


Edited by A_Man_Eating_Duck - 8/27/13 at 2:01pm
post #13 of 14
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Man_Eating_Duck View Post

ok i've figured out why it stays ghosted.

 

EAC Menu > EAC options > tools tab | unselect Activate beginner mode.....

 

close the EAC options window and reopen it. try to enable "On unknown CDs > Automatically access online metadata database".

As soon as I get home I'm going to try it out. 

post #14 of 14
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Man_Eating_Duck View Post

ok i've figured out why it stays ghosted.

 

EAC Menu > EAC options > tools tab | unselect Activate beginner mode.....

 

close the EAC options window and reopen it. try to enable "On unknown CDs > Automatically access online metadata database".

      I just tried it and it works. I really appreciate your help.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radioking59 View Post

You have to set freedb up with your email address. EAC>metadata options.

 

The other depends on what kind of files you want. Most around here use FLAC, which is lossless compression. For this you would select CMP after it's set up for FLAC.

 

EAC>Compression options>External Compression.

 

You might want to rerun the setup. It goes through all of this.

 

You then have to point Foobar to where the files are.

 

File>preferences>Media Library

Thanks for the tips and info.


Edited by Jtom94 - 8/27/13 at 10:19pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Computer Audio
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Computer Audio › Having trouble Foobar and EAC