is it safe to use a nickel/silver plug with a gold plated adapter?
- productPhilips Fidelio X1tagged by System, 8/25/13
Related Forum Threads
- (Denon AH-D600) Vs. (Philips Fidelio X1) Last post on Yesterday at 7:51 pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Are the Sennheiser HD650's worth another $100? Last post on Today at 4:35 pm in Headphones (full-size)
- How does the shure 1540 compare to the Philips fidelio x1? Last post on 9/11/14 at 1:52pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Can't decided between the Fidelio X1, HD598, or HD600 Last post on 9/11/14 at 12:41pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Bowers&Wilkins P7 vs Philips Fidelio X1 Last post on 9/7/14 at 12:57pm in Headphones (full-size)
my repost from: http://www.head-fi.org/t/623894/review-logitech-ue9000-ultimate-ears-headphones-released-the-ue4000-ue6000-and-the-ue9000-impressions-thread/930 Just my two cents, to me, I feel...
When MEE was describing their new iems to me this is what they said: "... these earphones heavily emphasize comfort and appearance, they have nicely balanced sound that is less bassy compared to...
INTRODUCTION First of all, a big THANK YOU to Michael Lin from FIDUE for providing the review unit. It is much appreciated, and my humble ears are feeling so incredibly honoured to be included...
Some people may remember my Mrice E100 review which tells about being the best 2014 earbud king ? … with Blox BE3 .. you can forget that ! welcome to the new earbud that comes from another world...
Hi people. I have owned a pair of these earphones for over a year now, and this is what I think about them. I am a beginner reviewer so please, have some understanding. Also, English is not my...
Philips Fidelio X1 sound total crap? - Page 8
Gear mentioned in this thread:
You probably won't be impressed by it. It's great for rock and vocals but say, the DT990, will outclass it indefinitely.
If you see one up for $50 I'd just try it, it'll sound dark but it has VERY good bass and decent soundstaging capabilities despite being closed.
Or, I could send you my *HEAVILY* modded 4AAA to give you the best representation of what it's capable of. In my opinion it's better than the Senn HD600. I don't use it much due to some recent cans in my inventory so it wouldn't be missed. Send me a PM.
Edited by takato14 - 11/27/13 at 8:30am
Unfortunately yes. Think "weakest link in the chain" logic when dealing with audio.
Cable impedance is like amp output impedance, and the two added together need to be less than 1/8th of the impedance of the headphone transducer. As the damping factor decreases you lose control of the diaphragm, starting with the bass and working upwards. 1.4 ohms is a LOT for a cable, especially in this day and age, and with such a low impedance on the X1 the effects can be noticeable, especially with devices like portable players and amps which almost always have higher output impedances than home amp designs.
The audible change with a better cable wont be super apparent but the higher the damping factor the better off you are. And really, the $8 it'd cost to get a mediabridge cable off of amazon is well worth it in my opinion.
However, you might just not like the headphone. If you get the cable and still aren't satisfied, I'd suggest selling it and trying something different.
^bro I am listening to his answer right now. If he can get his hands on it! jvc dx700
The mids aren't that forward but they are not lacking and do a way better job than the x1 with making a cohesive sound
X1's have some of the flattest, or closest to perfect frequency response in the business.
So if they sounded crap, you probably plugged them into crap.
I found that there was a veil in the mids somewhere around the 1 to 3 khz region so that Hammond organ solos where dull and lifeless. This ruined the experience for me despite the X1's having great soundstage, bass and detail and I sent them back to the shop. They were plugged into a Onkyo A5VL digital/analog amp which seems to be very high quality, so no rubbish sound source here.
+1, especially home theater system amps, which Onkyo makes a lot of.
EDIT: Hm, looks like a standard integrated amp... Given the priciness of the unit, it probably has a dedicated headamp built in instead of a resistor-choked output from the speaker amp itself. It also appears to have a DAC built in. Oknyo makes some nice stuff but they make an equal amount of **** as well, so there's really no way to tell without a proper comparison. I'd say try another amp before you give up on the X1.
Edited by takato14 - 2/20/14 at 8:58am
Thanks for your replies c64 and takato, I returned my X1's to the shop. It is the only headphone that had the 1 to 3k veil, all headphones plugged into the same amp. Tried sennheiser hd598, philips uptown, yamaha hph200, philips hp890, philips shp5401, shp2700, panasonic rtf-ht890, rp-htf600 etc
I bought a audioquest tower cable for my X1s and they improved the sound a lot too! Also, you should look at getting a dac/amp combo; my X1s sounded a billion times better coming out of my schiit asgard than it did coming straight from my computer.
You should have gave them a chance to burn in and used a better source anything but veiled mids here
bu that depends what i am comparing them too as i have recently busted out my old goldring dr150 and they give more of everything apart from bass.
Edited by c64 - 2/27/14 at 3:41pm
You should have gave them a chance to burn in and used a better source anything but veiled mids here it's a very lush detailed warm smooth sound it's just not as in your face up close as a closed can like all open cans aren't.
Certainly not veiled comparing to various headphones I have used over the years most recent I can compare to are sennheiser momentum over ears which are almost double the price the momentum has a more immediate crystal clear in your face sound, but that's more to do with closed design over open.They defo need amping imo as they do sound a bit meh actually straight out of my xonar dx but seen as I put them on the fii0 E6 amp they come alive so I reckon they defo need a bit of juice bet they sound amazing on a proper amp cant wait to get a real dac / amp as they sound brilliant just on an E6.
I own a pair of panasonic htf 600 and they are just all bass and treble a crystal clear sound but I can immediately notice things in songs missing when comparing them to even goldring dr150 let alone the x1.
So to say the htf have better mids I think you need your hearing checked but yes the x1 are definitely on the woolly side.
Besides he already sold it off. This thread can die now.
- Philips Fidelio X1 sound total crap?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › Audeze LCD-X 1 minute ago
- › DIY Cable Questions and Comments Thread 1 minute ago
- › MrSpeakers Alpha Dog Revealed! - The World's First Production... 2 minutes ago
- › Are the Sennheiser HD650's worth another $100? 2 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser HD650 Impressions Thread 3 minutes ago
- › iem sound better when slightly pressing with fingers? 3 minutes ago
- › Best Headphones under $500 3 minutes ago
- › Band Name Game II 3 minutes ago
- › VSonic GR07 Bass Edition Impressions 6 minutes ago
- › Little Dot Tube Amps: Vacuum Tube Rolling Guide 7 minutes ago
- › Ultimate Ears UE9000 Noise-Cancelling Wireless Headphones by SennsAsian
- › Crystal by MEElectronics In-Ear Headphones with Microphone Made... by indieman
- › Fidue A31s by djvkool
- › Blox BE3 by subwoof3r
- › Apple EarPods with Remote and Mic by donniefalcone
- › PCM-M10 Portable Digital Recorder by THD plus N
- › Brainwavz S5 In Ear Headphones by JoeDoe
- › Superlux HD-668 B by donniefalcone
- › HiFiMAN HM-901 by piksnz
- › OPPO BDP-105 Universal Audiophile 3D Blu-ray Player by professor825
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Exercise Headphones)