First of all, Hello again.
For those who know me, I've been off of Head-Fi for a little while now after settling for my current modified M50's a few months ago, but I've grown curious as of late after seeing some new headphones as well as seeing modifications to others. I've owned about 3-4 main headphones over the years, which gives me quite a bit more experience in knowing what I want than an average newbie, so I hope that my requirements aren't too specific to find something that matches me. (Still looking for that it seems)
I'm going to list my requirements and preferences, then list each of the headphones I am looking at. In return, I'd like an answer of which one fits my needs best, and where I can buy it for a reasonable price.
- I need something with a rather balanced signature - but a very slight bass emphasis (punchy bass). I'd prefer NOT to have recessed mids if possible.
- I need something closed, not open.
- I need something built well, that wont scratch or show wear easily.
- I need something that looks stylish/sleek - not blingy or gaudy.
- V-MODA M-100 + XL Pads: I've owned these headphones previously, and greatly enjoyed them. However, I did have two issues with them. Firstly, the comfort; the headband would begin to hurt the top of my head after about 45 minutes; that, and the pads were slightly shallow for me - so if I plan to buy them, I plan to buy them with the new XL pads that are in production now. (Hopefully these will be available in white, as I plan to buy in white) Secondly, the mids were slightly recessed compared to what I like. I am unsure of what the effect the XL pads will have on this, but I have been told it will be minimal. Any input would be welcome.
- Sennheiser Momentum (Black): I've heard great things about the comfort of these headphones, and I have to say that I do love the look of the Momentum in Black. I've heard that these headphones are great all-rounders, but I would like to know if they meet my preferences/requirements listed above. How is the bass in comparison to the M50's or M-100's? How is Sennheiser support and prices for replacement parts like cables? How low can I find these for on-line? (Black version only please)
- KEF M500: Originally heard about these in this thread and I was wondering how they match up with what I need above. I understand their build is good (aluminum), but the fact that they're on ear and the aluminum construction may increase the weight has me worried for their comfort. I'm also worried that with them being on ear, they may leak more and isolate less than I'd like. Can anyone provide me with some input on these?
- AIAIAI TMA-1 Studio by Young Guru: When the original plain version of the AIAIAI TMA-1 came out, I loved them. I had to EQ to brighten their rather warm and dark signature, but the bass was punchy like I loved, and the style was great as well. Now that AIAIAI has a full-sized headphone in the Studio, I'm looking at the improved Young Guru version. I'd like to know about the overall balance of the sound, as well as if the matte finish chips and falls off like it did at the adjusting piece on the original TMA-1's. Any input on these would be extremely welcome, as I understand they are fairly new.
Thank you in advance for all your help!
Edited by BRSxIgnition - 8/23/13 at 2:16pm