Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › Open-Back headphones with bass
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Open-Back headphones with bass - Page 5

post #61 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sound Quest View Post

Again thanks. But I'm still going for the HP200s. They just sound like a better all rounder.

 

I can't be bothered with genre specific headphones of any kind.
 

Well it is NOT genre specific. The Hp 200 is darker than the Dt 990, and not to mention the bass will not be as tight so it might be to thick for some songs. The Dt 990 is for ME genre spefic. But I own 4 Headphones, including a $600 Modded w1000x. So, it's not that  the Beyer can't do Rock or Vocals well, it's that I've spent half a grand on something that does those genres SLIGHTY better, trust me. For your first can the Beyer is an EXCELLENT choice. I'm just a more experinced and fleshed out listener so I choose to save it for the genres that it EXCELS in, it's good with everything but amazing with the Genres I mentioned. The Beyer dt 880 is another EPIC option as well! I used them with EVERYTHING b4 I even had my Dt 990 and W1000x 

post #62 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sound Quest View Post

Again thanks. But I'm still going for the HP200s. They just sound like a better all rounder.

I can't be bothered with genre specific headphones of any kind.

Based on everything you have been saying, seems like the DT880 would be the one for you if you went with a Beyer. It's considered to be more neutral than the DT990.

But I'm curious about the HP200s. Get 'em so you can tell us what you think of them biggrin.gif
post #63 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145 View Post


Based on everything you have been saying, seems like the DT880 would be the one for you if you went with a Beyer. It's considered to be more neutral than the DT990.

But I'm curious about the HP200s. Get 'em so you can tell us what you think of them biggrin.gif

Indeed, the 880s however have a very DEEP tight bass, it'll take about 2 weeks for them to really open up if you buy them new. But once you experince that bass... it's life changing! 

post #64 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mshenay View Post

Indeed, the 880s however have a very DEEP tight bass, it'll take about 2 weeks for them to really open up if you buy them new. But once you experince that bass... it's life changing! 

Yeah. I really liked the response on them. I think the measurements at headphone.com do a pretty good job of showing what one can expect:

post #65 of 84
Here are the HP200 measurements that Soundmagic provides:



DT880 looks a little better to me in frequency response because of that sharply scooped mid section on the HP200. However, that's just a small part of the overall voicing and not a good indicator of which will sound better smily_headphones1.gif
post #66 of 84
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145 View Post

Here are the HP200 measurements that Soundmagic provides:



DT880 looks a little better to me in frequency response because of that sharply scooped mid section on the HP200. However, that's just a small part of the overall voicing and not a good indicator of which will sound better smily_headphones1.gif

 

The frequency response graph doesn't really paint a true picture of the HP200's from what i've heard. The midrange is apparently slightly forward of neutral.

 

Somebody left a review of them on here. Might be useful to some. - http://www.head-fi.org/products/soundmagic-hp200/reviews/8983


Edited by Sound Quest - 8/24/13 at 12:21pm
post #67 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sound Quest View Post

The frequency response graph doesn't really paint a true picture of the HP200's from what i've heard. The midrange is apparently slightly forward of neutral.

Somebody left a review of them on here. Might be useful to some. - http://www.head-fi.org/products/soundmagic-hp200/reviews/8983

That's only a small bit of the midrange. So it depends on what people are sensitive to. This head-fier found it to be a problem:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bizkid View Post




This shows my problem with these headphones. There is almost a difference of 20dB in the mids from the highest to the lowest point. The type of EQ/correctional curve applied to the measurement doesn't matter as it's a relative comparison withhin. 20dB of a difference in the mids by itself is already horrible, but the mids fall of in the MOST IMPORTANT area for the human hearing and voice , at 1-2khz. This does not make any sense at all. You could try to argue that it's a headphone made for loud listening so they don't emphasise this sensitive area... but as you can also see the treble will go off on you far far before you reach any peaks in the vocal area

However, I'm not saying it definitely is a problem. Too unpredictable to rely on subjective testimonials unless everyone says a headphone is horrible. I tend to read lots of stuff on head-fi, put it all together in some kind of general conclusion, then figure it's probably 80% accurate, and then there's a 50-50 chance whether I'll like it the same way as others smily_headphones1.gif
post #68 of 84

Indeed, but I can assure you the Beyers sound as good as they look on paper! 

post #69 of 84

These two charts are in different scale (y axis)...

dbr = db SPL ?


Edited by olamtap - 9/27/13 at 4:26pm
post #70 of 84

Another great headphone to consider are Fischer Audio's Fa-011. Love mine for bass!!!

post #71 of 84

Are there any open back headphones at an affordable price point (not LCD-2) that have a thick bass? I have the ATH-M50 and the Sony MA900 and the MA900 have a nice punch but I can clearly tell when going back to the ATH-M50 that the MA900 bass is just that, punch. There's no body to it, just a quick punch.

post #72 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kdavis71 View Post

Are there any open back headphones at an affordable price point (not LCD-2) that have a thick bass? I have the ATH-M50 and the Sony MA900 and the MA900 have a nice punch but I can clearly tell when going back to the ATH-M50 that the MA900 bass is just that, punch. There's no body to it, just a quick punch.
Check out Hifiman HE-400/500
post #73 of 84
I'm a noob, I bought a pair of beyer dt 990 pro 250 last week. I'm feeling the bass more than with my old cans (Senn hd429) I'm kind of feeling kick drums in my gut lol, it makes for an exciting listen, I'm still getting used to the in yer face treble though.
post #74 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kdavis71 View Post

Are there any open back headphones at an affordable price point (not LCD-2) that have a thick bass? I have the ATH-M50 and the Sony MA900 and the MA900 have a nice punch but I can clearly tell when going back to the ATH-M50 that the MA900 bass is just that, punch. There's no body to it, just a quick punch.

Just keep in mind it is a lot harder to design an open headphone that has strong bass in comparison to closed headphones. The seal created with closed headphones allows for more bass impact.

My suggestions would be to look at the already mentioned HE-400 and DT990.
post #75 of 84

It's not just really impact I'm looking for, I'm wondering if any of the mid-fi open backs have a thick bass. After some listening it seems I like a thicker sound rather then an airy one. I do enjoy the large soundstage and the wonderful midrange of the MA900 however.

 

The Hifiman HE-400 does seem interesting because it's supposed to have a nice midrange, and the bass extends deep so I'm guessing it would sound thick? It's also at an affordable price point too. I'm worried about the highs though because my ears are slightly sensitive and I do listen to some newer pop and rap music also. (I ofc also listen to some acoustic and stuff like Hans Zimmer and Klaus Badelt too which is why I enjoy the soundstage). 

 

What about the K702 Annies also? They are a bit expensive for my liking but they seem comfortable, and based on reviews it seems their bass extends lower and some say it's got a thicker sound too it while not losing the large soundstage. That sounds perfect for my tastes, thickness with a nice soundstage still. I just wonder how well it would pair with me Fiio E17 because AKG's seem to be known to be a little bit tougher to amp to desired sound and at the price of an Annie, I probably wouldn't be upgraded to better amplification.


Edited by Kdavis71 - 3/5/14 at 8:23am
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › Open-Back headphones with bass