or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › The Stax Thread III
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Stax Thread III - Page 63

post #931 of 10930

I still recommend the 007t/ii amp that I use.

I needed to use warmish (or at least neutral) interconnects (single-ended works best for me) like Cardas Golden Cross and use a similarly warmish copper power cord on it (I use an old Shunyata Anaconda).

I still swear by the 007t/ii for the 009. It deals well with the fatigue factor and has a definite tube character. 

 

The thing about the 009 is that it is quite sensitive to upstream cables (and other components, of course), but that gives you lots of options to tune the sound.

It took some work and experimentation, but it worked for me eventually so that everything is in equilibrium now, even at higher volumes with most of my music (popular, some classical, not much jazz).

 

Just my 2 cents, but I sense that if ever a phone needed some tube sound upfront, it's the 009.

Good luck.


Edited by rgs9200m - 12/3/13 at 7:42pm
post #932 of 10930

I imagine the 007TII would indeed be good with the 009, because it certainly warms up and makes nice music with the 407.   

post #933 of 10930

Personally for me the 007tA (Jp version of the 007t/ii) didn't work too well for the 009 for quite a few genre of the music I was listening to. I actually borrowed my friend's 007tA for a few weeks and had it side-by-side with the 727A and found the 007tA to be slow for faster music such as 80's vocal pop, and more modern R&B, hiphop, etc. The 007tA OTOH was fine with the slower vocal Jazz genre & classical.

 

I actually had the 007tA owner and another friend pop by to compare too for a couple of hours.

 

In the end, the 727A was the more genre-agnostic amp so I stuck to the 727A for the next 20 months until recently replacing it with the Electra.

post #934 of 10930

T1 was nice for a while then how tuby it sounded wasn't as realistic to me like the KGSS. The treble on the 009's is so refined I don't know how anyone could confuse it for harsh.

post #935 of 10930
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaycalgary View Post
 

T1 was nice for a while then how tuby it sounded wasn't as realistic to me like the KGSS. The treble on the 009's is so refined I don't know how anyone could confuse it for harsh.

 

Could be the source/recording?...I find the KGSS/KGSSHV/SR-009 very dependent on that.

post #936 of 10930

I have been using a Nad M51 till the something new/better comes out. I use to have a W4S Dac 2 that probably would have been harsher on the ears to think of it.


Edited by jaycalgary - 12/3/13 at 6:01pm
post #937 of 10930

No, the SRM-007tII is not good with the SR-009 in my experience. Among all the Stax amps that I owned (323S, 727A, 007tA), only the 727A had good synergy with the SR-009.

 

At any rate, I haven't found a good solution to the fatiguing nature of the SR-009 (just slightly different degrees of fatigue with different equipment), so I now rarely listen to them, and when I do, I make sure I have a silent environment and I set the volume low.

 

By the way, this is just another area where speakers beat headphones by a large margin. You can get sound that's even better than that of the SR-009 without the fatigue. Nothing fancy is needed... A pair of Focal powered near-field monitors (like the Twin6) will do the trick without any complicated placement or room treatment requirements.

post #938 of 10930

Sorry you feel major fatigue but that has not been my experience and certainly can play them at decent volumes. Maybe check with a hearing specialist about tinnitus? Pretty hard to pull out the resolution of the 009's on anyhing but a real special stereo .


Edited by jaycalgary - 12/3/13 at 6:15pm
post #939 of 10930
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaycalgary View Post
 

Sorry you feel major fatigue but that has not been my experience and certainly can play them at decent volumes. Maybe check with a hearing specialist about tinnitus? Pretty hard to pull out the resolution of the 009's on anyhing but a real special stereo .

 

Good powered studio monitors (like the Focal Twin6 that I mentioned) easily give you the resolution of the SR-009. I can tell you from my experience that from a sound quality perspective there's zero advantage to any of the many headphones setups that I've had when compared to the studio monitors setup (not to mention a higher-end speakers setup).

 

It's not always possible to listen to speakers, so headphones have their uses, but I think a lot of headphones lovers are really missing out by assuming that speakers setups are too expensive, require a lot of room, special placement, room treatment, etc. It really doesn't take much with speakers to exceed what you can get with any headphones, including the SR-009. Also, less risk of getting tinnitus...

 

Anyway, just mentioning this in passing...

post #940 of 10930
Not good people cannot enjoy these babies. I listen to the 009s all day long and sometimes around 80+dB loud. 0 fatigue. I did get fatigue with the Hd800s though. And I am very sensitive to brightness as in hot treble. Single ended tube amp + Wee. Very musical combo. I will try another speaker amp soon.
Edited by negura - 12/3/13 at 8:02pm
post #941 of 10930
Well I am not buying what he is trying to sell here. I am thinking he is something like an internet troll. I think he should go to a hearing doctor and get his ears checked for tinnitus and come back with a doctors note before he posts again.
post #942 of 10930
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnakChan View Post
 

Personally for me the 007tA (Jp version of the 007t/ii) didn't work too well for the 009 for quite a few genre of the music I was listening to. I actually borrowed my friend's 007tA for a few weeks and had it side-by-side with the 727A and found the 007tA to be slow for faster music such as 80's vocal pop, and more modern R&B, hiphop, etc. The 007tA OTOH was fine with the slower vocal Jazz genre & classical.

 

I actually had the 007tA owner and another friend pop by to compare too for a couple of hours.

 

In the end, the 727A was the more genre-agnostic amp so I stuck to the 727A for the next 20 months until recently replacing it with the Electra.

Actually I think we are hearing the same thing. The 007tA is slower, but the for the 009 for me, it's just what the doctor ordered, because the 009 is so fast, it can handle it.

So it's a good match. I sure find the 009 with this amp as fast and furious as any headphone I have heard (certainly any dynamic).

So it just may be a matter of preference. Thanks for your perspective.

post #943 of 10930
Quote:
Originally Posted by visualguy View Post

Good powered studio monitors (like the Focal Twin6 that I mentioned) easily give you the resolution of the SR-009. I can tell you from my experience that from a sound quality perspective there's zero advantage to any of the many headphones setups that I've had when compared to the studio monitors setup (not to mention a higher-end speakers setup).

It's not always possible to listen to speakers, so headphones have their uses, but I think a lot of headphones lovers are really missing out by assuming that speakers setups are too expensive, require a lot of room, special placement, room treatment, etc. It really doesn't take much with speakers to exceed what you can get with any headphones, including the SR-009. Also, less risk of getting tinnitus...

Anyway, just mentioning this in passing...

If not trolling, I'd say you're barking at the wrong tree. From your experience, it seems clear headphones don't deliver for the sonic attributes you personnally pay attention to when listening to your favorite music.

My experience is quite the opposite. I keep hearing high end speaker systems in dedicated audio rooms and systematically come out more confirmed with my choices.

Maybe because I have given up on speakers so long ago that my brain got used to headphones presentation. But more importantly, I'd say we all obviously hear very differently and to different styles of music. Even if it sometimes is difficult to admit, some people are definitely chasing the wrong bird and probably would be happier enjoying other hobbies (speaker audio to start with if the conditions are right).

Arnaud
post #944 of 10930

I have to agree with Arnaud.  I've had many speaker systems, and I prefer headphones.  Speakers are not "better", they're just different, and much more expensive if you want a result as good as any Stax or top-level dynamic.  That said, many love 'em.

post #945 of 10930

I listen to both headphones and speakers. Headphones mostly when I don't want to bother other people. Otherwise, speakers.

 

Anyway, this was about the SR-009. I think I'm in good company in terms of people who can't listen to them at decent volume for a long period of time without getting fatigued. They aren't as bad in this regard as the SR-507 that I had, but still problematic. I listen mostly to classical music.

 

The SR-007mk1 are much better in this area, but they don't quite have the same level of clarity and soundstage of the SR-009.

 

All headphones seem to have some flaws. Even my beloved W3000 due to the way they press on the earlobes.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: High-end Audio Forum
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › The Stax Thread III