Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › The Stax Thread III
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Stax Thread III - Page 188

post #2806 of 3322

If it hadn't been for the SRM-007t I once had in which I got that amp along with the SR-007mk1, I'd have probably still had the 007mk1's.

I felt that amp made the 007's sound veiled with not much energy.

I've since heard the 007mk1's with my BHSE and that amp turned them into completely different sounding Earspeakers.

Regarding Stax amps, I've only heard two with both the 007mk1's and 009's, those two stax amps were the SRM-007t and 717, and with both those Earspeakers I found the 717 sounded the better of the two Stax amps.

post #2807 of 3322
The 717 or modded 727 sounds harsh compared to the KGSShv. It also sounds thin and a bit lifeless,
and synthetic / clinical. I have both here and use them side by side. The 717 is my 'portable' amp, so I will keep it.

The KGSShv sounds real, warmer, wider sound stage, massively bigger head room (goes very loud with no sign of clipping or compression)
and the bass is in another league. It has incredible control over the 009 drivers, an iron fist.
It is a different world in my view, not subtle. It makes me wonder why Stax still don't have an amp to show off their top headphones
in their range, it seems insane. Demoing to the masses with Stax amps, it's tragic. Leaving it to the DIY community and small niche companies
to make amps that match the quality of their headphones instead. No wonder so many go of and buy dynamics or planar systems!

Today I am testing it against David's BHSE, so should be fun.

I don't imagine it will beat the BHSE, rather from memory at different locations, it will be a different signature,
possibly not as transparent and maybe not have the tube magic in the midrange. If it gets to 90% close
I will be very happy.

Watch this space.
post #2808 of 3322
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrostar59 View Post

The 717 or modded 727 sounds harsh compared to the KGSShv. It also sounds thin and a bit lifeless,
and synthetic / clinical. I have both here and use them side by side. The 717 is my 'portable' amp, so I will keep it.

The KGSShv sounds real, warmer, wider sound stage, massively bigger head room (goes very loud with no sign of clipping or compression)
and the bass is in another league. It has incredible control over the 009 drivers, an iron fist.
It is a different world in my view, not subtle. It makes me wonder why Stax still don't have an amp to show off their top headphones
in their range, it seems insane. Demoing to the masses with Stax amps, it's tragic. Leaving it to the DIY community and small niche companies
to make amps that match the quality of their headphones instead. No wonder so many go of and buy dynamics or planar systems!

Today I am testing it against David's BHSE, so should be fun.

I don't imagine it will beat the BHSE, rather from memory at different locations, it will be a different signature,
possibly not as transparent and maybe not have the tube magic in the midrange. If it gets to 90% close
I will be very happy.

Watch this space.

Yes, please do post on your findings vis-a-vis the BHSE. If its 90% close (or better), I will not pull the trigger on the BHSE. Further, the wait is reportedly 12 months:eek:

post #2809 of 3322
With the K-01 being used, I've a feeling the difference between my BHSE and Julian's KGSSHV might be quite close. I believe my iPod might be the better of my two sources to use even though ( IMO ) it's no match to my K-01.

When doing this comparison, obviously my XLR and RCA interconnects will be used, ( from using the K-01 only ) so we'll be using both interconnects with both amps.
post #2810 of 3322
Quote:
Originally Posted by kothganesh View Post
 

Yes, please do post on your findings vis-a-vis the BHSE. If its 90% close (or better), I will not pull the trigger on the BHSE. Further, the wait is reportedly 12 months:eek:

 

And me, I would wait only 15 days to get the all-new AudioValve Verto box http://www.head-fi.org/t/727630/audiovalve-rkv-ii-otl-amp-2014-version-audiovalve-box-adapter-verto-for-stax-headphone-and-for-low-impedance-orthodynamic-eletrodynamic-headphone#post_10756994 , which coupled to the AudioValve RKV-II (OTL) amplifier and the headphones Stax SR-009 (that I already own), that would do better than all the amplifiers Stax currently in production (including SRM 727 and SRM 007t2) if one believes the first trials and listens in France. 

http://www.homecinema-fr.com/forum/casques-haute-fidelite/verto-le-boitier-audiovalve-pour-casques-stax-t30052030.html
I would affirm you soon.

post #2811 of 3322

I would affirm you're full of schiit.

post #2812 of 3322

+ 1000

post #2813 of 3322

+ a billion

post #2814 of 3322

I used to own an RKV Mk II and it was a really nice sounding amp, but it wasn't reference quality even with an HD650 (e.g. a Headamp Gilmore Reference or GS-X Mk 2 will beat it no problem). So the idea of it competing with the Gilmore electrostat designs on the MUCH MORE RESOLVING SR-009, with a freaking transformer box sandwiched in the middle no less, sounds very very funny to me.


Edited by mulveling - 7/31/14 at 10:50am
post #2815 of 3322
Quote:
Originally Posted by mulveling View Post
 

I used to own an RKV Mk II and it was a really nice sounding amp, but it wasn't reference quality even with an HD650 (e.g. a Headamp Gilmore Reference or GS-X Mk 2 will beat it no problem). So the idea of it competing with the Gilmore electrostat designs on the MUCH MORE RESOLVING SR-009, with a freaking transformer box sandwiched in the middle no less, sounds very very funny to me.

 

The have you tried? (the Verto box + RKV-II amp + Stax SR-009)

 

Personally, I would have the chance to do so within 15 days.

 

We'll talk about when you'll have the same experience as mine.

 

Kind regards.

post #2816 of 3322
Will probably have plenty of headroom, though..
post #2817 of 3322
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric65 View Post
 

 

And me, I would wait only 15 days to get the all-new AudioValve Verto box http://www.head-fi.org/t/727630/audiovalve-rkv-ii-otl-amp-2014-version-audiovalve-box-adapter-verto-for-stax-headphone-and-for-low-impedance-orthodynamic-eletrodynamic-headphone#post_10756994 , which coupled to the AudioValve RKV-II (OTL) amplifier and the headphones Stax SR-009 (that I already own), that would do better than all the amplifiers Stax currently in production (including SRM 727 and SRM 007t2) if one believes the first trials and listens in France. 

http://www.homecinema-fr.com/forum/casques-haute-fidelite/verto-le-boitier-audiovalve-pour-casques-stax-t30052030.html
I would affirm you soon.

 

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by mulveling View Post
 

I used to own an RKV Mk II and it was a really nice sounding amp, but it wasn't reference quality even with an HD650 (e.g. a Headamp Gilmore Reference or GS-X Mk 2 will beat it no problem). So the idea of it competing with the Gilmore electrostat designs on the MUCH MORE RESOLVING SR-009, with a freaking transformer box sandwiched in the middle no less, sounds very very funny to me.

 

You have misread my previous post.

 

In this post, I did not put in competition the new combo AudioValve RKV-Verto with the productions (of quality) of electrostatic amplifiers made by Gilmore, but only with amps Stax currently in production (SRM 252 to the SRM 007t2) which according to firsts listening carried out in France, and no offense to all those who have not yet listened to, would be, in terms of the sound quality, below the combo in question.

 

My only reference at the Gilmore productions, concerning the command time significantly shorter for AudioValve productions (a few weeks instead of several months).

But the industrial means, perhaps, are not the same?


Edited by eric65 - 7/31/14 at 1:29pm
post #2818 of 3322

Otherwise, what you have not understood, is the mode of operation of the tubes of the amplifier RKV II (or III in OTL mode).

 

To continue the example from the HD 650, the load seen by the amplifier is equal to 300 Ohm (that's the impedance of the headphones HD 650).

 

With electrostatic headphones Stax SR-009 (very high impedance: 145000 Ohm) with multiplier voltage transformer (with very low ratio only 1:5) (low distortion), the impedance seen by the amplifier RKV will be included in a range (wide) ranging from 2000 to 6000 Ohm (depending on frequency). 


However, you should know that that PCL805 tubes of RKV excellent for use mainly in tension (voltage), with an optimal charge of approximately 4000 Ohm (the one originally scheduled to operate these tubes in the cathode-ray TV).

 

To summarize, we can say that the RKV-II (or III in OTL mode) will be better with headphones Stax SR-009 (via the Verto box and  its transformers of low ratio amplification of voltage : only 1:5) rather than with the HD 650 headphone (regardless of the quality of the headphones) simply, for a matter of impedance matching.

 

(NB : If you fear not to translate the french language in english, I give you a far more details link on this issue of adaptation of impedance of the tubes of the RKV : http://www.homecinema-fr.com/forum/post178200031.html#p178200031


Edited by eric65 - 7/31/14 at 3:20pm
post #2819 of 3322

so I did a careful and complete synthesis of the RKVII driving a lundahl LL9202

transformer wired as 6.625:1 which is as close as I can get to the 5:1 with

the best spice models for the tubes and full specifications from lundahl.

This is what I got

 

http://gilmore.chem.northwestern.edu/rkv.jpg

 

top box green is frequency response, red is phase

 

bottom box red is input square wave 1khz, green is output

 

so if your hearing extends to only about 6khz you are going to be fine.

 

The build time and price of a BHSE is irrevelant.

A great many have built their own BH. A few have even built something similar to the BHSE.

A fair number have built megatrons (about 8) and T2's (more than 40).

 

All of which will seriously exceed the performance of  a poorly designed high impedance futterman design driving

what is likely to be a very poorly made cheap transformer in a box designed with multiple

windings to drive all sorts of stuff.


Edited by kevin gilmore - 7/31/14 at 5:06pm
post #2820 of 3322
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrostar59 View Post


I second that. I didn't know which Stax amp to buy and Birgir told me to get a 717, which is still very good and running fine. The modded 727 is the same as a 717 soundwise.

It makes me wonder why Stax do things like this in the first place. I know plenty of Stax owners who bought a Stax amp with the phones, and got fed up with the amp.

You know, if you wanted to go another step, you could get a DIY KGSShv or buy a Woo or BHSE if you like tubes. The jump from the 717/727 is not subtle.

Doesn't the 727II have more power/voltage than the 717 too? Agreed that the unmodded SRM727II isn't anything to write home about.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: High-end Audio Forum
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › The Stax Thread III