Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › The Stax Thread III
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Stax Thread III - Page 177

post #2641 of 3470
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrostar59 View Post


I am thinking of buying some 507s though, for my 'portable' rig. I am nervous about lugging the 009s around in the car.


009 + Car = does not compute. Unless of course you're Bill Gates.

post #2642 of 3470
Quote:
Originally Posted by dukeskd View Post
 


009 + Car = does not compute. Unless of course you're Bill Gates.

+1. I can see the BHSE on the front seat passenger side :biggrin:

post #2643 of 3470
Yeah but my hearing is better than Bill Gates.

No, I meant to say when I staying away from home for a month or more. Kinda miss the tunes and it is nice to have a second rig for such occasions. Lets face it Telly is crap, apart from The Walking Dead series....
post #2644 of 3470
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrostar59 View Post
I am thinking of buying some 507s though, for my 'portable' rig. I am nervous about lugging the 009s around in the car.

 

I think the noise on the road kills most of the the difference between the 507 and 009, even when you drive a super-silent car. Good that they both are acoustically transparent and won't distract you from hearing what happens on the road. I also tried using noise-cancelling headphones (QC15) on the long lonely rides on motorway (not much danger around), and although they are so inferior in room silence, I like them the most in that noisy environment. It just provides much more of a zen-mood for driving than better headphones paired with much higher background noise.

post #2645 of 3470
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrostar59 View Post

Yeah but my hearing is better than Bill Gates.

No, I meant to say when I staying away from home for a month or more. Kinda miss the tunes and it is nice to have a second rig for such occasions. Lets face it Telly is crap, apart from The Walking Dead series....
A Pelican case would probably be a good idea. One big enough to fit both the BHSE and 009.
post #2646 of 3470
Going back to the 009 vs the sr-5, thanks for the comments, they were helpful. I will insist on it and will tell ypu how the listening experience evolves....
post #2647 of 3470
Quote:
Originally Posted by bearFNF View Post


A Pelican case would probably be a good idea. One big enough to fit both the BHSE and 009.

I think the pelican would resent having to share the space.

 

Maybe you could tap off some of the spark plug coil's high voltage, store / smooth it with capacitors & diodes and use it for headphone bias... :evil:

post #2648 of 3470
Hey, this has got me fired up! Could I run a main cable to my sun chairs? That would be nice.
Some gaffer tape round the 240V connections should be ok right?

post #2649 of 3470
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrostar59 View Post

Hey, this has got me fired up! Could I run a main cable to my sun chairs? That would be nice.
Some gaffer tape round the 240V connections should be ok right?

Actually you can use a small-ish 12 volt battery (motorcycle battery would do, or some gel-cell purchased off eBay) and a $50 power inverter to produce "line current" type power to run a Stax rig at the beach.  I suspect a well-charged motorcyle battery would easily run the Stax amp and a digital player for many hours, and wouldn't be very heavy or large- fit in a backpack, surely, or beach carry-all.

 

Some power inverters might generate a lot of noise on their power outputs, though, and you might end up with a buzz or a whine coming through. I think you'd have to try out the lower-cost inverter first to see if it's acceptable. Using a "pure sine" inverter would minimize this.  A 350 watt "pure sine" inverter is about $100.

post #2650 of 3470
I think you can do better than the basic Pelican case;

http://www.dtail.com/2014/05/blackhawk-secretary-by-restoration-hardware/
post #2651 of 3470

I just got a Woo WEE a few weeks ago.  I had them put a normal and pro bias on it.  I have been listening to my Lambda normal bias plugged directly into it and its working just fine.

 

I go and get my extension cables that I have been using with the SRD7/SB since 198X something (the package says it was model SRE15N, yes I still have it :biggrin:).

But I see that there are only 5 pins??? WTH?? Now I am know I am being paranoid, and the earspeakers have been just fine all these years, BUT, now that I am using a powered energizer, the Woo WEE, I have to ask the gurus here.  Is it ok to use the 5 pin cable with normal bias plug on the WEE?  I have looked around for the pin out to understand what eh middle pin is for but have come up empty, I even went back through the original stax threads looking and can not find anything.

post #2652 of 3470
It's all fine just NEVER use a normal bias Stax from a pro bias. The 6th pin does nothing to my knowledge, and if anything it carries bias voltage.
post #2653 of 3470

Been considering a jump from the 007 to the 009.  Not sure though, I fear missing the yummy tone of the 007 that I've come to love.  My ears crave more clarity.

post #2654 of 3470
Quote:
Originally Posted by bearFNF View Post
 

I just got a Woo WEE a few weeks ago.  I had them put a normal and pro bias on it.  I have been listening to my Lambda normal bias plugged directly into it and its working just fine.

 

I go and get my extension cables that I have been using with the SRD7/SB since 198X something (the package says it was model SRE15N, yes I still have it :biggrin:).

But I see that there are only 5 pins??? WTH?? Now I am know I am being paranoid, and the earspeakers have been just fine all these years, BUT, now that I am using a powered energizer, the Woo WEE, I have to ask the gurus here.  Is it ok to use the 5 pin cable with normal bias plug on the WEE?  I have looked around for the pin out to understand what eh middle pin is for but have come up empty, I even went back through the original stax threads looking and can not find anything.

Former Stax extension cables used to have 5-pin male plug and 6-pin female plug. Thus, you may use it for all Stax gear...but you have to be extremely careful, never plug normal bias phones on a pro output with this cable ;)


Ali

post #2655 of 3470

Ok thanks guys, was just a making sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali-Pacha View Post
 

Former Stax extension cables used to have 5-pin male plug and 6-pin female plug. Thus, you may use it for all Stax gear...but you have to be extremely careful, never plug normal bias phones on a pro output with this cable ;)


Ali

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidsh View Post

It's all fine just NEVER use a normal bias Stax from a pro bias. The 6th pin does nothing to my knowledge, and if anything it carries bias voltage.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: High-end Audio Forum
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › The Stax Thread III