Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › The Stax Thread III
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Stax Thread III - Page 166

post #2476 of 5043
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankCooter View Post
 

Right now I'm using an Audio Note 2.1B kit dac. I just purchased a used Metrum Hex. Should be here in a few days. Been on an upgrade binge recently due to cleaning out years of accumulated  tubes and components. The real fun will began when my best effort at a Stax system will go head-to-head with my best effort at an LCD-3 system. In the end, only one will stay.

 

 

That mean the Octave lost out to the AN kit?

post #2477 of 5043

A little off-topic, but I do own a Metrum Octave. I like it a lot. Despite being radically different designs, the Metrum and the Audio Note sound very similar. The Metrum is a little quieter and a little tighter in the bass. The Audio Note is a little lusher and more analog sounding in the midrange. Both are distinctively different from the majority of modern high-end dacs, and both would probably be considered somewhat rolled-off and sluggish by most modern audiophiles. Basically I'm looking for a digital version of a high-end vinyl sound. So far, these two are as close as I've been able to get. Hoping the Hex takes everything up a level. It was a coin flip  between the Hex and upgrading the Audio Note. Went with the Hex because because I got a great deal.

post #2478 of 5043

...try a fully loaded Empirical Audio Overdrive SE (with the Hynes upgrade). It has that lush midrange and warmth, and is very 3D holographic... but is also extended at both ends; with bass that can hit hard (with the right amp and speakers) and no top end roll-off. Not cheap ($6,400), but I really like it in my system with the Stax 007; now I see the only weak link is my Stax amp. And don't rule out the Hugo. Maintains the wonderful vinyl-like midrange of the Chord QB76, does DSD, and costs so little (comparably). It really does give a lot of high end DACs a run for the money. Anything Rob Watts does might be right up your ally, as Chord's midrange is very good throughout their digital lineup.

 

I've had the usual candidates (Berkley, Weiss, even a top-end Dodson) in my system for trials and the two closest to vinyl were Chord DACS and now the Empirical OD. Granted, I haven't listened to the Meitner, Esoteric, or the other real big boys except at shows, but many of those I find too clinical for my liking anyway. Best I've heard recently besides the two that I own is new PS Audio DSD ...way, way better than the old PerfectWave and smooth like butter on everything.

 

If none of those tickle your fancy and you want the best old-school; then look/listen/feel? some of the better NOS DAC's (Gordon Rankin's Wavelength stuff comes to mind). I also heard Triode at the show in Chicago. (The Japan company, not the Canadian one). All tubed DAC, preamp and those giant tube monoblocks...man those things hit hard with enough slam not to make me think of SS amps or SS anything. That was tubes done right. I'm sure a lot it had to do with the massive $22K amps, but their front end was very good too, and not outrageously priced. When I put my Chord Hugo in the chain it also sounded good; though again, the tubed Triode DAC had somewhat better synergy with this system. Triode takes this, and the Acoustic Zen speakers around to most big shows, so have a listen...this is digital done right...and the extensive listening I did was mostly 44.1 burns of CD's...nothing hi res.

 

Anyway, that's my ear milage for the past year. Hope that helps.

post #2479 of 5043
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankCooter View Post

Just got a pair of new 007Mk2 . They're even the dreaded sz3's. I know it's usually "Mk1's or go home" around here, but these are actually a very fine headphone in their own right. Compared to my 507's they have more depth, resolution, and better imaging. And though they may be a bit bright on top compared to the Mk1's (which I've heard many times), they are nowhwere near the 507's in this area. Many of the Mk1's I see at meets are starting to show their age. I passed on a couple of used ones. With the kind of electronics I use, (NOS dac, all tube DIY amp) a little extra energy on top and a hint of bass bloom might even be a good thing. On all-tube amps, the Mk1's, to me at least, can sound a little remote. I'm actually a bit surprised and pleased, as no way could I ever afford an 009. The three previous Lambda's I've owned have never really meshed with my tastes in music (mostly classic rock) or electronics (analog / tube). These pull it off. Definitely worth a look.

Totally agree with you, Frank! My O2.5 is sooo sweet and inviting, that I could almost care less that it's not 100% neutral. It does the wrong things right smily_headphones1.gif Even so, I find the 007 Mk2.5 sounds very, very natural, mutch more so than any other headphone I've ever heard
Edited by mangler - 6/2/14 at 5:38pm
post #2480 of 5043

I send in two email requests to Stax USA, was thinking of buying a pair of 007mk2's or maybe even 009's. 

 

They never replied. 

 

Seriously?   The company gets bought and they don't fix the horrendous US customer service?

 

I'll never buy a Stax product until they straighten out their US distributor and it looks like they never will. 

post #2481 of 5043

You might want to instead contact a dealer such as Headamp, Woo, etc. Though I believe they're currently out of stock on the 009's ATM.

post #2482 of 5043
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jodet View Post
 

I send in two email requests to Stax USA, was thinking of buying a pair of 007mk2's or maybe even 009's. 

 

They never replied. 

 

Seriously?   The company gets bought and they don't fix the horrendous US customer service?

 

I'll never buy a Stax product until they straighten out their US distributor and it looks like they never will. 

 

You know, I've been looking into getting into electrostatic headphones, mainly looking at entry level systems like the SRS2170 and the Koss ESP950.  I was wondering how their warranty and service was like, and honestly, this doesn't exactly inspire confidence.

post #2483 of 5043
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnalogSavior View Post
 

 

You know, I've been looking into getting into electrostatic headphones, mainly looking at entry level systems like the SRS2170 and the Koss ESP950.  I was wondering how their warranty and service was like, and honestly, this doesn't exactly inspire confidence.

 

DEW EET! ^^^

 

Wha? The Koss ESP950 lifetime warranty - no questions asked, doesn't inspire confidence?

 

On that note, Stax just sux. One just needs faith and a little luck.

Correct handling of electrostat equipment also goes a long way to ensure it's survival.

 

I own the SRS2170 and it's all broke now.

It did give me two years of exceptional sound quality for the price I paid. (~$500 new at the time)

It is unfortunate their stuff isn't built to a higher standard.

So the moral is: if your wanna play you gotta pay.

post #2484 of 5043

Yeah, it's fine with people and their 30+ yr old Stax stuff that works well etc., but my impression is that significant risk is involved with owning an electrostat and Stax doesn't exactly have great costumer service. It's a shame. My LS has almost been reduced to junk due to noise and channel imbalance and there isn't much I can do about it. It didn't have problems for half a year when I bought it.

The other Stax stuff I have hasn't given me any problems yet.

post #2485 of 5043

RE: Frank Cooter / SR-007 SZ3

 

I had a pair of those, sold them and got Mk I's.  I like the Mk I's better, but there is something to be said for the SZ3's.  I think the SZ3's sounded really nice on orchestral & chamber music- i.e., acoustic concert-hall type music. CLASSICAL music is the term used by some but that actually denotes a specific style / time period in European orchestral music, and I am not a big fan of the 19th century  warhorses.Early music, yes; baroque sure, 20th century - yep.  OK Beethoven and Mozart are great, but Brahms, Haydn, etc etc- no thanks.

 

Anyway the midbass "lift" of the SR-007 SZ3's along with a little extra sparkle on top usually makes a lot of orchestral stuff sound quite good, IMHO

post #2486 of 5043

You hit the nail on the head with this one. I can also do baroque and 20th Century music, but the so-called romantic warhorses bore me to death. Compounding the problem, composers such as Berlioz, Bruckner, Dvorak, Mahler and Tchaikovsky seem to dominate the classical repertoire, both in live concerts and recordings. OTOH, while I can deal with Beethoven's chamber and piano output, Schubert and specially Mozart seem just too predictable. Instead, give me on one hand the likes of Stravinsky, Bartok, Prokofiev and Hindemith, while on the other, Bach, Handel and (Domenico) Scarlatti, among many others. Most works by these guys sound gloriously detailed on SACD recordings via the SR-009, even if somewhat handicapped by my far-from-perfect SRM-727II...

 

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by milosz View Post

 

[...]  CLASSICAL music is the term used by some but that actually denotes a specific style / time period in European orchestral music, and I am not a big fan of the 19th century  warhorses.Early music, yes; baroque sure, 20th century - yep.  OK Beethoven and Mozart are great, but Brahms, Haydn, etc etc- no thanks [...]


Edited by Arnaldo - 6/4/14 at 4:32am
post #2487 of 5043
Quote:
Originally Posted by livewire View Post
 

 

DEW EET! ^^^

 

Wha? The Koss ESP950 lifetime warranty - no questions asked, doesn't inspire confidence?

 

On that note, Stax just sux. One just needs faith and a little luck.

Correct handling of electrostat equipment also goes a long way to ensure it's survival.

 

I own the SRS2170 and it's all broke now.

It did give me two years of exceptional sound quality for the price I paid. (~$500 new at the time)

It is unfortunate their stuff isn't built to a higher standard.

So the moral is: if your wanna play you gotta pay.

 

The Koss definitely makes me feel more comfortable taking the plunge into electrostatic headphones.  I've heard good things about their service.  I haven't tried them before, but from what I've heard, I don't mind going in blind.

 

Stax on the other hand makes me nervous from what I've heard.  I've briefly had the chance to listen to some Lambdas (don't remember which) and SR007s, and I liked them both.  I don't mind paying to try and get to know a new product, and if it doesn't work out, flipping it.  However, I really can't afford the risk of them failing so quickly at the moment.

 

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by davidsh View Post
 

Yeah, it's fine with people and their 30+ yr old Stax stuff that works well etc., but my impression is that significant risk is involved with owning an electrostat and Stax doesn't exactly have great costumer service. It's a shame. My LS has almost been reduced to junk due to noise and channel imbalance and there isn't much I can do about it. It didn't have problems for half a year when I bought it.

The other Stax stuff I have hasn't given me any problems yet.

 

Hmmm...as much I'd like to, I might have to pass on Stax right now.  The Koss with the warranty seems to be the better option for me at the moment.

 

Thanks for the replys.

post #2488 of 5043

Analog, I would think buying from a authorized reseller with a warranty like Headamp, Woo, or Elusive Disc would put your mind at ease.  The Koss are great but it's not uncommon for them to have squeal issues right out of the box.  The Lifetime warranty IS very nice especially in this case.

 

There's a lot of REALLY old Stax gear that is still working well; you'd be surprised.  The problem I think is neglgent previous owners or misinformed previous owners.  It sounds like you are more cautious than adventurous however.

post #2489 of 5043
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Sneis View Post
 

Analog, I would think buying from a authorized reseller with a warranty like Headamp, Woo, or Elusive Disc would put your mind at ease.  The Koss are great but it's not uncommon for them to have squeal issues right out of the box.  The Lifetime warranty IS very nice especially in this case.

 

There's a lot of REALLY old Stax gear that is still working well; you'd be surprised.  The problem I think is neglgent previous owners or misinformed previous owners.  It sounds like you are more cautious than adventurous however.

My Lambda Pro continues to work like charm and its over 20 year old as well.  1987 was the mfg.date to be exact.

post #2490 of 5043
Thanks for the reply. I've actually been looking into the authorized dealers, and how the service process works. Outside of a few stories about the service by Yama's, it seems like anything bought new from the US shouldn't have any issues.

At this moment in time, I am a little more cautious when approaching stats than dynamics, as I don't have much experience with them.

I have however read great impression about the 2170 (and the Koss) here and on other sites, so most of my concerns at this point have been taken care of.
Quote:
Originally Posted by purk View Post

My Lambda Pro continues to work like charm and its over 20 year old as well.  1987 was the mfg.date to be exact.

That's very impressive. Seems to fit my impression that Stax are for the most part well built.
Edited by AnalogSavior - 6/4/14 at 3:24pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: High-end Audio Forum
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › The Stax Thread III