Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › The Stax Thread III
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Stax Thread III - Page 143

post #2131 of 4645
Quote:
Originally Posted by rx79ez08 View Post
 

Do anyone know if the head band assembly of a SR Sigma is identical to a SR-Lambda?


Yes, but the symbols on the right/left mark are different sigma vs lambda.

post #2132 of 4645

Not headphones, but still Stax:   a capacitor phono cartridge is listed on eBay.

 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Stax-Electrostatic-Direct-Pickup-System-CP-Y-ECP-1-Cartridge-Equalizer-Amp-/251508886555?pt=US_Record_Players_Home_Turntables&hash=item3a8f190c1b

 

I

post #2133 of 4645

 

Quote:

Be afraid, be very afraid. IMO everything does matter to varying degrees, but that doesn't explain you preferring stock tubes over the PH's in the BHSE. Maybe you'll be surprised when you swap the PH's back in (as I was). But assuming for now you will still prefer stock, then I can only think of the following explanations:

 

  • Sample variation has made your particular PH's worse than normal
  • Sample variation has made your particular stock tubes much better than normal
  • You're nuts
  • I'm nuts

Maybe it is because The Attorney has 007s? I also have 007s but Mk2.5s, and though I haven't got my BHSE yet, I have heard from users in the UK

that thePHs tame the treble. So good on an 009, but might be better to keep the stock tubes on the 007s as they could probably absorb the treble lift?

 

Does this make sense?

post #2134 of 4645
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrostar59 View Post

 


Quote:

Be afraid, be very afraid. IMO everything does matter to varying degrees, but that doesn't explain you preferring stock tubes over the PH's in the BHSE. Maybe you'll be surprised when you swap the PH's back in (as I was). But assuming for now you will still prefer stock, then I can only think of the following explanations:



 



  • Sample variation has made your particular PH's worse than normal


  • Sample variation has made your particular stock tubes much better than normal


  • You're nuts


  • I'm nuts



Maybe it is because The Attorney has 007s? I also have 007s but Mk2.5s, and though I haven't got my BHSE yet, I have heard from users in the UK



that thePHs tame the treble. So good on an 009, but might be better to keep the stock tubes on the 007s as they could probably absorb the treble lift?



 



Does this make sense?



I think it does, which is why when you visit my place along with your SR-007mk2's, I'll be putting the stock Mullard's in the BHSE, then the PH's.
post #2135 of 4645
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrostar59 View Post
 

 

Maybe it is because The Attorney has 007s? I also have 007s but Mk2.5s, and though I haven't got my BHSE yet, I have heard from users in the UK

that thePHs tame the treble. So good on an 009, but might be better to keep the stock tubes on the 007s as they could probably absorb the treble lift?

 

Does this make sense?

Not really. Treble is only part of it. Soundstage, bass, resolution, clarity, imaging (insert what ever else you can think of). At least in my system.

post #2136 of 4645
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfnutz View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrostar59 View Post

 

 



Maybe it is because The Attorney has 007s? I also have 007s but Mk2.5s, and though I haven't got my BHSE yet, I have heard from users in the UK



that thePHs tame the treble. So good on an 009, but might be better to keep the stock tubes on the 007s as they could probably absorb the treble lift?



 



Does this make sense?


Not really. Treble is only part of it. Soundstage, bass, resolution, clarity, imaging (insert what ever else you can think of). At least in my system.

I'm agreeing with Julian ( astrostar59 ) about trying the stock Mullard's with my BHSE when he brings his 007mk2's, because I recently heard the 007mk2's with my BHSE while the PH tubes were being used, and even though the BHSE was driving the mk2's, the SQ I heard reminded me of the SR-007mk1 / SRM-007t I once had, veiled.
post #2137 of 4645

How is the QC on the PSVanes? Is there still a scare story, or is it sorted now? 

post #2138 of 4645
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrostar59 View Post

How is the QC on the PSVanes? Is there still a scare story, or is it sorted now? 

The reason why I didn't order the PH tubes when I first heard about them Julian, was because of what I read about their build quality, but after hearing what Grant Fidelity were doing, I ordered via them.
I've had mine about 2-3months without any problems, but some head-fiers have had theirs a lot longer so it'll be best to hear from them.
post #2139 of 4645

I don't know if this has been mentioned before, but does anyone know if there will a successor to SR-009?

post #2140 of 4645
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpio187 View Post
 

I don't know if this has been mentioned before, but does anyone know if there will a successor to SR-009?

 

Nobody knows. I would doubt there will be any time soon since the SR-009 is relatively new, but in the long term it seems unlikely a company would never innovate a new product. Therefore, unless they were to go out of business, I seriously doubt they will never make new headphones. It would be a poor business model.

post #2141 of 4645

Agreed. How long has it been since the day it was released anyway...4, 5 years?

post #2142 of 4645
If you go on the Stax website, the history section tells the the model and the year it came out.
This might give an idea when a future model might come out.
post #2143 of 4645

With my KGSShv on the way to me now (off-board, 2sa1968, 14mA) and already owning the 007, I'm wondering what else is worth looking at. I highly respect the 009 but don't want to own one. I'm always open for an SR-4070 but that is proving elusive. What else?

 

 

The SR-003 mkII is something I'd love to try - probably with custom molds for the tips. This is almost a sure thing due to the low price and complete difference from my O2. 

 

The SR-207 is being suggested to me, as the least obnoxious/bright of the new Lambda models. Also the cheapest which is a bonus. Hoping this would sort of be an HD800 type experience, rather different from my O2 but enjoyable in its own way.

 

What else is worth looking at? I remember enjoying the 404LE but not sure if it's all that different than the 207. Also the prices now seem a lot higher than they used to be, due to scarcity I suppose.

post #2144 of 4645
SR-X mk3
SR-5
post #2145 of 4645
Quote:
Originally Posted by project86 View Post
 

With my KGSShv on the way to me now (off-board, 2sa1968, 14mA) and already owning the 007, I'm wondering what else is worth looking at. I highly respect the 009 but don't want to own one. I'm always open for an SR-4070 but that is proving elusive. What else?

 

 

The SR-003 mkII is something I'd love to try - probably with custom molds for the tips. This is almost a sure thing due to the low price and complete difference from my O2. 

 

The SR-207 is being suggested to me, as the least obnoxious/bright of the new Lambda models. Also the cheapest which is a bonus. Hoping this would sort of be an HD800 type experience, rather different from my O2 but enjoyable in its own way.

 

What else is worth looking at? I remember enjoying the 404LE but not sure if it's all that different than the 207. Also the prices now seem a lot higher than they used to be, due to scarcity I suppose.


Any vintage Lambda.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: High-end Audio Forum
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › The Stax Thread III