Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › The Stax Thread III
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Stax Thread III - Page 117

post #1741 of 3288
When all is said and done, it should be an Aurender X100L sending usb to a Resonessence Labs Invicta Mirus, balanced out to a KGSShv, and finally the SR-4070 or SR-007 mk2 depending in my mood. Should be fun.
post #1742 of 3288
Quote:
Originally Posted by project86 View Post

When all is said and done, it should be an Aurender X100L sending usb to a Resonessence Labs Invicta Mirus, balanced out to a KGSShv, and finally the SR-4070 or SR-007 mk2 depending in my mood. Should be fun.

Exciting sounding setup! You are obliged to write a review now :atsmile:

post #1743 of 3288
Oh, I forgot - Audiophilleo AP1 with PurePower in the chain between music server and DAC.
 
Anyway, I'm very excited to eventually finish this setup. The only thing left would be SR-009 but I'm not sure I'd want to go there, considering I'll probably get more use from the 4070 due to the sealed aspect. 
post #1744 of 3288

I had a loan of a 4070 from another headfier when I was fixing his Stax amp.

 

Very impressive headphone.

 

If I wasn't retired I'd still be looking for a set.

post #1745 of 3288

So these can only be bought used at this point?  There not sold new anywhere?

post #1746 of 3288

I believe they were a manufactured-on-order and ceremoniously discontinued at 4070 units. Whether this was originally intended or due to some other factors (e.g. poor sale's performance or high manufacturing costs) would be outside my area of knowledge.

 

I had a brief listen last month and though they were just OK. I prefer the open Lambdas myself, as the character of the 4070 is something apart from all other Lambda series (from the first through the fourth generation).

 

If you have the budget for the SR-009 I would just go ahead and get one as well. They are indeed very good and I would be tempted to get a pair if they weren't missing the euphonic soundstage characteristics and just a smidge of extra resolution I'm used to with the Omega.

post #1747 of 3288

Hi,

 

Please can anyone advise if the combination of a Stax SR-407 and SRM-323S will produce the "mid treble etch" sound which I'm keen to avoid? I read here that the SR-307 suffers from this characteristic or is the solid state SRM-323S amplifier at fault?

 

 

Kind regards,

 

 

Martyn

post #1748 of 3288
Quote:
Originally Posted by martyn73 View Post
 

Hi,

 

Please can anyone advise if the combination of a Stax SR-407 and SRM-323S will produce the "mid treble etch" sound which I'm keen to avoid? I read here that the SR-307 suffers from this characteristic or is the solid state SRM-323S amplifier at fault?

 

 

Kind regards,

 

 

Martyn

The 307 is at fault and the 323 doesn't make it better from my understanding..

 

All of the current series lambdas are said to be bright

post #1749 of 3288

The 323S is a great amp. I listened to the KGSSHV and thought it was a bit bright in comparison. The 323S is surprisingly "just right" with the SR-009 and SR-Omega IMHO.

 

Not quite the SR-007 though...

post #1750 of 3288
Quote:
Originally Posted by martyn73 View Post
 

Hi,

 

Please can anyone advise if the combination of a Stax SR-407 and SRM-323S will produce the "mid treble etch" sound which I'm keen to avoid? I read here that the SR-307 suffers from this characteristic or is the solid state SRM-323S amplifier at fault?

 

 

Kind regards,

 

 

Martyn

 

I think I've mentioned this but if you can find some SR-303's or the regular SR-404's ... I think you would be very pleased. Perhaps the smoothest Lambdas I've heard ...

 

The SR-307's (and I'd guess the 407's) are most likely not what you want ... they aren't necessarily bright in the high freqs (to my ear) but they sound sort of edgy and hard in the midrange ...

post #1751 of 3288
Quote:
Originally Posted by s1rrah View Post
 

 

I think I've mentioned this but if you can find some SR-303's or the regular SR-404's ... I think you would be very pleased. Perhaps the smoothest Lambdas I've heard ...

 

The SR-307's (and I'd guess the 407's) are most likely not what you want ... they aren't necessarily bright in the high freqs (to my ear) but they sound sort of edgy and hard in the midrange ...

Hi S1rrah,

 

Thanks, getting a new SR-404 may be tricky and I'm reluctant to get a used pair from eBay. The SR-407 seems to have a slightly different specification to the SR-307 - would this make any difference?

 

Kind regards,

 

 

Martyn

post #1752 of 3288
no
post #1753 of 3288
Quote:
Originally Posted by martyn73 View Post
 

Hi S1rrah,

 

Thanks, getting a new SR-404 may be tricky and I'm reluctant to get a used pair from eBay. The SR-407 seems to have a slightly different specification to the SR-307 - would this make any difference?

 

Kind regards,

 

 

Martyn

 

I would think the entire "07" line would share the same, general, sonic qualities. This is the case with the 303/404 series and so I would assume it to be the same with the 307's family of ear speakers ... 

post #1754 of 3288
Quote:
Originally Posted by s1rrah View Post
 

 

I think I've mentioned this but if you can find some SR-303's or the regular SR-404's ... I think you would be very pleased. Perhaps the smoothest Lambdas I've heard ...

 

The SR-307's (and I'd guess the 407's) are most likely not what you want ... they aren't necessarily bright in the high freqs (to my ear) but they sound sort of edgy and hard in the midrange ...

 

I'm sorry, but this discussion is deranged madness. I'm saving up for one of these models and have been reading people's experiences with them.

 

The 404 and 303 are supposed to 'suck', being white-hot strident with an "impossible peak" and no inter-unit variation by the word of internet Stax experts. The x07 series are supposed to be 'fixed', and you tell me the previous series is smooth by comparison?

 

Did you mean your 404LE, or have you heard these?

 

I've looked at the data on the internet available for the 404 and 207. Alongside a small high frequency attenuation, they are identical to the thirty year old model!. Where are these defects located? What is their Frequency and BW Oct? Three minutes and a youtube sine sweep is sufficient. By mids do you mean 2 or 8 kHz?

 

As an aside, rates for second hand ebay systems are completely excessive. Averaging 75% of the price shipped of a 3170 to my country. That's for an srm-1 which has never seen maintenance and a lambda pro for which I must pore over photos if available for perforations and defects.


Edited by dripf - 3/19/14 at 1:15pm
post #1755 of 3288

I finally joined the Stax ranks. Now a proud owner of of an SR-202 and SRM-252II  :) 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: High-end Audio Forum
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › The Stax Thread III