Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › The Stax Thread III
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Stax Thread III - Page 86

post #1276 of 3321
Quote:
Originally Posted by dukeskd View Post
 

^X2. With the 007mkI you will find near zero fatigue, and it is probably one of the very few (the only one in my experience) that has the ability to be like that whilst excelling in detail extraction + impact. SR009 on the other hand has a bright sound sig, and depending on your personal tastes and amp/source, it could be induce fatigue.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoPants View Post
 

O2 mk1

 

Thanks for the responses. On the technical side, I will be using a transformer 1st, probably an SRD7 with my power amp; is this sufficient?. I asked this before regarding the 009s but apparently the 007s are more difficult to drive. My amp specs are:

 

Continuous Power Output 120w + 120w Min RMS per channel into 8 ohms from 20 to 20,000 Hz at rated T.H.D both channels driven Both Channels driven at 1,000Hz - 8ohms 120w +120w - 4ohms 130w + 130w Total harmonic distortion at 8ohms at rated power 0.008% Intermodulation distortion 0.008% Power Bandwidth (T.H.D. 0.05%) 5 - 70kHz Damping factor - 8ohms 70 Slow Rate 100V/uS Input sensitivity/impedance Main In - 1,000mV/50kohms Signal to noise ratio Main in - 110dB Frequency Response Main in (5-100kHz) +0/-0.5 DB Power AC 120v 60Hz Power Consumption 480W 620VA

post #1277 of 3321
Quote:
Originally Posted by dukeskd View Post
 

^X2. With the 007mkI you will find near zero fatigue, and it is probably one of the very few (the only one in my experience) that has the ability to be like that whilst excelling in detail extraction + impact. SR009 on the other hand has a bright sound sig, and depending on your personal tastes and amp/source, it could be induce fatigue.

 

The SR-007Mk1s are very special headphones and I enjoy them quite a bit, but I would classify them as a hint on the darker side and the SR-009s are pretty darn neutral (by my standards anyway) on my KGSSHV/BDA-2 setup. 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackskelly View Post
 

After finally getting an electrostatic amp, a used Cavalli Liquid Lightning MKI, I'm finally able to listen to my 009s at my own place. After listening for most of this weekend and last night (after getting the amp on Friday), they're growing on me even more, and now definitely think that they're a cut above the HD-800s and any other top-of-the-line dynamic headphone I've owned or heard. As much as I love the HD-800s, I don't think they'll get very much listening anymore. The resolution and transparency they provide are simply astounding, and I can definitely tell that my DAC is now the limiting factor in my system. I think I now see what Currawong meant when he wrote "You'll never have a good enough source for them" in his review for the 009s.

 

I would suggest that you're leaving a lot of cards on the table with the SR-009s if you're using the LLMk1. I owned it and was not impressed to say the least. The SR-009s are so much more capable.

post #1278 of 3321
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacedonianHero View Post
 

I would suggest that you're leaving a lot of cards on the table with the SR-009s if you're using the LLMk1. I owned it and was not impressed to say the least. The SR-009s are so much more capable.

 

I'd have to second this, owned LLMK2 for a short period of time and was not impressed at all either.

post #1279 of 3321
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Erly View Post
 

 

 

Thanks for the responses. On the technical side, I will be using a transformer 1st, probably an SRD7 with my power amp; is this sufficient?.

SRD-7 = Normal bias energizer. You need an SRD-7 Pro or SRD-7sb MK2 or Woo Wee at least bare minimum to power pro bias headphones let alone the power hungry O2 mk1's. Yes 009's easier to drive then 007's (regardless of mark versions).

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickif View Post
 

 

I'd have to second this, owned LLMK2 for a short period of time and was not impressed at all either.

Wow that really says something considering Peter's LLMk1 vs KGSSHV comparison thread was masqueraded by other users saying the MK2 is so much more superior to the MK1. 

 

:S

post #1280 of 3321

"masqueraded"? :blink:

post #1281 of 3321
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacedonianHero View Post
 

 

The SR-007Mk1s are very special headphones and I enjoy them quite a bit, but I would classify them as a hint on the darker side and the SR-009s are pretty darn neutral (by my standards anyway) on my KGSSHV/BDA-2 setup. 

 

 

I would suggest that you're leaving a lot of cards on the table with the SR-009s if you're using the LLMk1. I owned it and was not impressed to say the least. The SR-009s are so much more capable.


Well I'm still waiting on my BHSE, which I still plan on getting. I just wanted to get some sort of electrostatic amp that would allow me to listen to STAX headphones. I didn't want to get a STAX amp (such as the SRM-727II) because of all the negative things I've heard about them from people. So far I'm really liking the 009s with the LL, so it'll do for now at least. If I am leaving a lot of cards on the table that's probably a good thing because that means the 009s can sound even better than they do now (which is hard to imagine because they already sound so great).

post #1282 of 3321
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackskelly View Post
 


Well I'm still waiting on my BHSE, which I still plan on getting. I just wanted to get some sort of electrostatic amp that would allow me to listen to STAX headphones. I didn't want to get a STAX amp (such as the SRM-727II) because of all the negative things I've heard about them from people. So far I'm really liking the 009s with the LL, so it'll do for now at least. If I am leaving a lot of cards on the table that's probably a good thing because that means the 009s can sound even better than they do now (which is hard to imagine because they already sound so great).


Negative things? The 727 is great with the 009.

post #1283 of 3321
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackskelly View Post
 


Well I'm still waiting on my BHSE, which I still plan on getting. I just wanted to get some sort of electrostatic amp that would allow me to listen to STAX headphones. I didn't want to get a STAX amp (such as the SRM-727II) because of all the negative things I've heard about them from people. So far I'm really liking the 009s with the LL, so it'll do for now at least. If I am leaving a lot of cards on the table that's probably a good thing because that means the 009s can sound even better than they do now (which is hard to imagine because they already sound so great).

There's a ton of people who have enjoyed the 727. Plus, because of all the negative things I've heard from people the 727 is better than the LL.

 

You could also try out the feedback with the 727, which is reversible.

post #1284 of 3321

"~~ I didn't want to get a STAX amp (such as the SRM-727II) because of all the negative things I've heard about them from people."

 

I'm really enjoying my 007TII amp with all my STAX headphones, and I like the 323S, too.  You gotta remember that this is a "perfectionist audio" website, and folks here are willing to spend all the money and effort necessary to drag the last ounce of performance out of their gear.  Sometimes it works a little bit, sometimes it just changes the sound, sometimes it's a step backwards.

 

In any case, the STAX amps are great at their price points, and should be enjoyed!

 

 

post #1285 of 3321
Quote:
Originally Posted by greggf View Post
 

"~~ I didn't want to get a STAX amp (such as the SRM-727II) because of all the negative things I've heard about them from people."

 

I'm really enjoying my 007TII amp with all my STAX headphones, and I like the 323S, too.  You gotta remember that this is a "perfectionist audio" website, and folks here are willing to spend all the money and effort necessary to drag the last ounce of performance out of their gear.  Sometimes it works a little bit, sometimes it just changes the sound, sometimes it's a step backwards.

 

In any case, the STAX amps are great at their price points, and should be enjoyed!

 

 

 

Unfortunately I haven't heard any STAX amps, I'll have to if I see one at a meet. Sorry if I upset anyone, I'm sure the STAX amps are fine, and maybe I should consider getting one, but when I was looking around for amps a lot of people seemed to say something to the effect of "don't bother getting a STAX amp, if you get the 009s you should get something like the LL, BHSE, WES, etc."

post #1286 of 3321
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackskelly View Post
 

 

Unfortunately I haven't heard any STAX amps, I'll have to if I see one at a meet. Sorry if I upset anyone, I'm sure the STAX amps are fine, and maybe I should consider getting one, but when I was looking around for amps a lot of people seemed to say something to the effect of "don't bother getting a STAX amp, if you get the 009s you should get something like the LL, BHSE, WES, etc."

Seemingly not good advice, time to ask other members for advice :wink:

 

The 727 + 009 combo is a lot better than 009 + LL or 009 + WES (and for a lot less money).

post #1287 of 3321
Quote:
Originally Posted by dukeskd View Post
 

Seemingly not good advice, time to ask other members for advice :wink:

 

The 727 + 009 combo is a lot better than 009 + LL or 009 + WES (and for a lot less money).

Wow seriously? I've never heard any variation of the LL but that's pretty crazy when it's more than double the price.

post #1288 of 3321
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackskelly View Post
 

 

Unfortunately I haven't heard any STAX amps, I'll have to if I see one at a meet. Sorry if I upset anyone, I'm sure the STAX amps are fine, and maybe I should consider getting one, but when I was looking around for amps a lot of people seemed to say something to the effect of "don't bother getting a STAX amp, if you get the 009s you should get something like the LL, BHSE, WES, etc."

 

Originally Posted by dukeskd View Post
 

Seemingly not good advice, time to ask other members for advice :wink:

 

The 727 + 009 combo is a lot better than 009 + LL or 009 + WES (and for a lot less money).

 

Each to their own IMHO. For my ears, None of the amps I've owned or demoed has made the SR-009 sound bad - the amps I had/demo-ed just sounded good to better. The SRM-727A kept me quite satisfied for a good 18 months, and the LL2 was an improvement over the 727A especially in the area of staging and imaging, but I eventually settled with the Electra which gave for me the best bang for the buck. If was given an LL2 to replace my 727A for my SR-009 headphone, I'd gladly accept it.

 

With the SR-007Mk1 on the other hand, that's a different matter. I'd have a personal preference of the 727A over the LL2 as I felt it was a little too slow for that headphone.

 

If it were my wallet speaking though, I would have gone for the 727A -> BSHE route.

post #1289 of 3321
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnakChan View Post
 

 

Each to their own IMHO. For my ears, None of the amps I've owned or demoed has made the SR-009 sound bad - the amps I had/demo-ed just sounded good to better. The SRM-727A kept me quite satisfied for a good 18 months, and the LL2 was an improvement over the 727A especially in the area of staging and imaging, but I eventually settled with the Electra which gave for me the best bang for the buck. If was given an LL2 to replace my 727A for my SR-009 headphone, I'd gladly accept it.

 

With the SR-007Mk1 on the other hand, that's a different matter. I'd have a personal preference of the 727A over the LL2 as I felt it was a little too slow for that headphone.

 

If it were my wallet speaking though, I would have gone for the 727A -> BSHE route.


You are right. The SR-009 sounded good from a $100 adapter hooked up to my Alesis RA150 ($150) power amp. However, this is a niche market for audiophiles, so such astronomical price-to-performance ratio are to be expected in the case of LL and WES.. Of the aforementioned amps, the 727 is definitely best bang for the buck.

 

I never had any problems with the 727 + 009 but with the 007 it felt underwhelming because it is quite noticeable the ear speakers need another level of amplification (BHSE, T2).

post #1290 of 3321
Quote:
Originally Posted by dukeskd View Post
 


You are right. The SR-009 sounded good from a $100 adapter hooked up to my Alesis RA150 ($150) power amp. However, this is a niche market for audiophiles, so such astronomical price-to-performance ratio are to be expected in the case of LL and WES.. Of the aforementioned amps, the 727 is definitely best bang for the buck.

 

I never had any problems with the 727 + 009 but with the 007 it felt underwhelming because it is quite noticeable the ear speakers need another level of amplification (BHSE, T2).

 

I don't know as I don't have such as setup. Maybe you care to divulge more detail about the setup and how it sounds?

 

As I mentioned of the amps I've tried with the SR-009 and I felt from the 727A/LL2/Electra they sounded a range from good to great for the aforementioned aspects. As opposed with the 007Mk1, it was unacceptable to great from the LL2/727/Electra.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: High-end Audio Forum
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › The Stax Thread III