Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › The Stax Thread III
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Stax Thread III - Page 83

post #1231 of 3012

There are many options in the lambda series to try, both new and old. 

post #1232 of 3012
R10 maybe?
post #1233 of 3012

I have a pair of Lambda Signatures. They've worked perfectly since I got them.  I replaced the earpads and the headband. They are from 1987 or so, working very well after about 25 years.


Edited by milosz - 12/29/13 at 3:11am
post #1234 of 3012
Quote:
Originally Posted by shipsupt View Post
 

I've not been able to run across replacement ear pads for sale since I got my Omegas... I've almost all but given up on finding them.  My current pads feel nice, but I know time will get to them eventually.  When that time comes I'll likely have something custom built to replace them.  

 

Use a little leather conditioner sparingly on them from time to time, maybe 2~3 times a year.  Lexol is one of the better leather conditioners.  This will help keep them from cracking.

post #1235 of 3012
Quote:
Originally Posted by milosz View Post

Use a little leather conditioner sparingly on them from time to time, maybe 2~3 times a year.  Lexol is one of the better leather conditioners.  This will help keep them from cracking.

Thanks for that! I have some Lexol around, time to break it out.
post #1236 of 3012

I had a STAX itch a few days before 2014 that had to be scratched! Previously, I have only heard the 009 for 15 minutes in October at the Fujiya Headphone Festival.

 

Anyway to cut the story short.

 

Today...........

 

I am the proud owner of a pair of 009 which arrived yesterday

 

 

a pair of the 007 mk1 received today

 

 

A Cavalli LL2 due to arrive next Tuesday, and hopefully a VAW TA 8PS tube amp that was highly recommended to me!

 

Will have great fun in the coming weeks/months comparing the 009/LL2 Vs Abyss/LAu. 

 

 

Edit:

The 007 mk1 has new cables and new diaphragms plus 6 months warranty left:bigsmile_face: 


Edited by spkrs01 - 1/3/14 at 5:21am
post #1237 of 3012
Quote:
Originally Posted by spkrs01 View Post
 

 

Edit:

The 007 mk1 has new cables and new diaphragms plus 6 months warranty left:bigsmile_face: 

 

So I assume it basically holds mk2.5 drivers as opposed to the original mk1s? Another thing of note that I must add, get a better amp than the LL2.

post #1238 of 3012
Quote:
Originally Posted by dukeskd View Post
 

 

I must add, get a better amp than the LL2.

 

:eek:  How much time have you had with the amp?

post #1239 of 3012
Quote:
Originally Posted by spkrs01 View Post
 

I had a STAX itch a few days before 2014 that had to be scratched! Previously, I have only heard the 009 for 15 minutes in October at the Fujiya Headphone Festival.

 

Anyway to cut the story short.

 

Today...........

 

I am the proud owner of a pair of 009 which arrived yesterday

 

 

 

a pair of the 007 mk1 received today

 

 

 

A Cavalli LL2 due to arrive next Tuesday, and hopefully a VAW TA 8PS tube amp that was highly recommended to me!

 

Will have great fun in the coming weeks/months comparing the 009/LL2 Vs Abyss/LAu. 

 

 

Edit:

The 007 mk1 has new cables and new diaphragms plus 6 months warranty left:bigsmile_face: 

Nice! What DAC are you running for all that? You got hit by the Stax bug all at once :beerchug:

post #1240 of 3012
Quote:
Originally Posted by preproman View Post

eek.gif   How much time have you had with the amp?

The issue with the bass for example is noticeable almost immediatly, even coming from supposedly inferior gear like the 727 amp (driving the 009). A direct comparison to an electra from the same source also does not take 15 minutes to find what the LLmk2 is doing well / not so well.

It's far from subtle, I have a hard time calling this a "matter of taste", and personally would take a 727 amp (or 323S as it's not far from the 727 when driving the 009) over the LL any day. That is unless I listen with my wallet instead of my ears.
post #1241 of 3012

Cough cough...I feel sick...might be coming own with the same 009 bug myself ...in the near future???

 

Cograts on the acquisitions. :beerchug: 


Edited by bearFNF - 1/3/14 at 3:16pm
post #1242 of 3012

Hi Guys,

A first time poster but long time user of Stax SR-Lambda Pro Classic along with Kevin Gilmores

Tube Amp and then his Full Solid State one. Maybe now his Blue Hawaii as I have just spotted it.

Back to my question;

My headphones have the foam disintegrating and I have managed to remove 99% of it. Some

very small pieces have seemed to have gotten thru the grill. Is it necessary to remove every little bit and is

it really needed to be replaced. If so what is best to use. Don't want to buy replacement kit as the Pads

are in Perfect condition.

Also noticed the grills have sunken in the middle on both. Should this grill be tight and flat?.

If so I will have to remove the inserts but they appear to be stuck. I don't want to damage

anything trying to get them out if I don't have to. Any tips or advice would be much appreciated.

Phones appear to be working ok. Hadnt used them for a few years and just noticed the disintergrating foam.

 

Thanks

Les 

post #1243 of 3012

Dear Les,

 

This is the part you need

https://www.staxusa.com/parts/ear-pads/stax-dust-mesh-for-ep234.html

 

You needn't worry too much about dust as long as the dust cover remains intact it should not get in the drivers.

I guess you should be able to just gently(!) blow the dust particles out (from an angle).

The grille is attached to the driver with glue so I would not tinker with it as even if it is slightly bumped it probably does not have any effect on the sound.

 

By the way, when you have such nice amps, you might be thinking of stepping up a little bit, for instance to the "full-blown" Lambda Pro (not the Classic) if you can find it in nice shape.


Edited by padam - 1/3/14 at 4:49pm
post #1244 of 3012
Quote:
Originally Posted by rawrster View Post
 

Nice! What DAC are you running for all that? You got hit by the Stax bug all at once :beerchug:

 

I will be using both the Metrum Hex and the Lumin Music Player............currently with just the LAu in use, I am running Lumin via SPDIF > Hex balanced > LAu.

 

If I am able to buy the 8PS which I am told sounds superior off balanced inputs, I will run either the LL2 or LAu single ended. 

 

 
Quote:
Originally Posted by arnaud View Post


The issue with the bass for example is noticeable almost immediatly, even coming from supposedly inferior gear like the 727 amp (driving the 009). A direct comparison to an electra from the same source also does not take 15 minutes to find what the LLmk2 is doing well / not so well.

It's far from subtle, I have a hard time calling this a "matter of taste", and personally would take a 727 amp (or 323S as it's not far from the 727 when driving the 009) over the LL any day. That is unless I listen with my wallet instead of my ears.

 

Hey Arnaud, I do find it interesting what you guys heard with the LL2 in your Stax mini meet regarding the bass performance, sounding very staccato with a complete lack of decay or very little. It is definitely different to what several owners that I have spoken to reports. Which gives rise to me thinking there may be something wrong with your demo LL2 or upstream chain synergy wise. Although I am very apprehensive in identifying the problem as the upstream chain unless the LL2 is so revealing to the nth degree.

 

The LL2 will have all the opportunities in my system to perform well, with isolation cones, good power management and excellent cabling both power and i/c, and I will pay particular attention to the bass performance reporting back accordingly. 

post #1245 of 3012
Hi gavin, i doubt it is the upstream gear as i heard it in my rig, that of anakchan's + another top dog dac converter brought by a friend (totaldac d1).
At this stage, if this isn't what others have experienced, we must have received a lemon from alex (waiting to hear from him as we sent the amp back a month ago or so).
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: High-end Audio Forum
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › The Stax Thread III