Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › The Stax Thread III
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Stax Thread III - Page 81

post #1201 of 3012

Just want to add that the reliability issues for the Omega are a bit too mystified. There is only one pair I know of that was broken under the ownership of a head-fi-er. That's it.

The rest, which had replacement SR007 drivers probably broke much earlier, there were definitely some manufacturing problems with the drivers.

Treat it "normally" and it is not likely to break and the headband can be replaced if the hinges stay intact.

post #1202 of 3012

The drivers might already be that of an O2mk2 for all we know ;)

post #1203 of 3012
Quote:
Originally Posted by padam View Post

Just want to add that the reliability issues for the Omega are a bit too mystified. There is only one pair I know of that was broken under the ownership of a head-fi-er. That's it.
The rest, which had replacement SR007 drivers probably broke much earlier, there were definitely some manufacturing problems with the drivers.
Treat it "normally" and it is not likely to break and the headband can be replaced if the hinges stay intact.

I've seen a few broken pairs on a German forum don't forget all the broken but fixed pairs wiktor has sold on ebay (count=4).
post #1204 of 3012
Quote:
Originally Posted by DefQon View Post


I've seen a few broken pairs on a German forum don't forget all the broken but fixed pairs wiktor has sold on ebay (count=4).

As I wrote Omega2 driver pairs do exist but they were broken several years ago at least.

So what I meant was buying one with original drives can be considered as a safe buy, until somebody here will report that it just went wrong for no reason.

post #1205 of 3012
Quote:
Originally Posted by padam View Post
 

As I wrote Omega2 driver pairs do exist but they were broken several years ago at least.

So what I meant was buying one with original drives can be considered as a safe buy, until somebody here will report that it just went wrong for no reason.

 

I was referring to the headband assembly arc that I've seen a fair few broken. From what I heard the O2 MK2 drivers in the Omega 1 housing sounds pretty good, the pair was one of Wiktors pairs.

post #1206 of 3012

Isn't the Omega arc assembly similar to the Lambda one? I remember reading that the Omegas fell victim to heat dissipation of the driver, of which it couldn't rid itself.

post #1207 of 3012
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoPants View Post
 

Isn't the Omega arc assembly similar to the Lambda one? I remember reading that the Omegas fell victim to heat dissipation of the driver, of which it couldn't rid itself.

Apart from the custom hinges, it is exactly the same as the Lambda Signature so it is certainly possible to have it repaired (and maybe carefully move the original stickers as well). I have an extra brown headpad as well, if anyone is in need of one.

I think you are referring to the original T2 with the heat problems or at least I don't know of any Stax headphone having heat problems.

post #1208 of 3012
Quote:
Originally Posted by arnaud View Post
 

The drivers might already be that of an O2mk2 for all we know ;)


This is a good reason why spending anything over $4000 is a bad idea.

post #1209 of 3012
Quote:
Originally Posted by DefQon View Post
 

Sorry not following....

 

*Looks at location*

 

It was you wasn't it? 

I wish I could afford that. :)

post #1210 of 3012

Nah, the ones that sold were the original deal. You could make out the telltale spokes (not present on SR-007 transplants) in two of the pictures.

 

I dunno, I think $5k for them is more than fair given time and their numbers. But I'm obviously biased. :wink:

post #1211 of 3012
Hey I spent 3.5k for mine came with everything except the original box but I got a pair of NOS pads and 2 NOS headbands.
post #1212 of 3012
Quote:
Originally Posted by DefQon View Post

Hey I spent 3.5k for mine came with everything except the original box but I got a pair of NOS pads and 2 NOS headbands.

You mean the Kiri/Paulownia wood box? If so, I would think that would constitute a substantial component of value...

 

Didn't you also get it through a friend who had to go out to some place weird to scoop it up? And wasn't your purchase of them ancient history by now?

 

To be honest it's hard to assess the value of headphones like these since they'll generally go for whatever some buyer's willing to pay at any given point in time. Sales are rare enough that I wouldn't be surprised to see them sell at over that $4500 "sane" value hereon, especially as economies recover and people have more money to burn on toys. Time will tell.

post #1213 of 3012
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3X0 View Post

You mean the Kiri/Paulownia wood box? If so, I would think that would constitute a substantial component of value...

Didn't you also get it through a friend who had to go out to some place weird to scoop it up? And wasn't your purchase of them ancient history by now?

To be honest it's hard to assess the value of headphones like these since they'll generally go for whatever some buyer's willing to pay at any given point in time. Sales are rare enough that I wouldn't be surprised to see them sell at over that $4500 "sane" value hereon, especially as economies recover and people have more money to burn on toys. Time will tell.

Well the original box ain't a big deal because the buyer managed to procure them from else where, NOS pads and NOS headbands go for greater value because they wear out and are no longer to be found anywhere, sourcing these parts are just as rare as the headphones itself.

Yes I sold them to the person who helped me buy it over in Germany. I still have access to them.

I've had lengthy discussions with Radiohead before through pm's about him trying to obtain a pair, his had talks with MF when she obtained hers and the given going value is around 3.5-4.5. Yes they can go for more than that as well as lower than that, if one the ebay sellers I messaged last year allowed the sale I would've snagged an Omega + T1 deal for $1800 before the seller changed his mind.
post #1214 of 3012

It would be a pretty huge deal for the collector (s/he who will pay to the northern end of the range) given the matched serial plates. Getting one even with mismatched serials would be an additional expense worth considering.

 

Conversely pads would be of greater value to the listener rather than the collector (though I'm not sure whether the listener would pay more for pads or the collector for the matching box). At least the original pads don't suffer from serious issues like the HE60/HE90 pads that make replacement absolutely imperative; the main issue with Omega pads is that they become stiff. I believe at least one owner (Birgir?) has had success treating the original pads to make them a bit more supple, albeit nowhere near new.

 

We know HE90s are worth about 15k because they rot around if they list for much more. We know MDR-R10s are worth in the neighborhood of 5k because much more than that and the same phenomenon occurs. I actually haven't seen enough lasting listings of the Omega to affirm that position with such certainty -- they are much closer to the rarity of the HE90 than R10s, aren't priced out of accessibility like the HE90s, and the existence of the SR-009 makes them less interesting to people who just want sound without fuss.

post #1215 of 3012

I've not been able to run across replacement ear pads for sale since I got my Omegas... I've almost all but given up on finding them.  My current pads feel nice, but I know time will get to them eventually.  When that time comes I'll likely have something custom built to replace them.  

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: High-end Audio Forum
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › The Stax Thread III