Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › < AUD300 Close Over Ear for Movies, Music and Casual Gaming (Prefer big soundstage)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

< AUD300 Close Over Ear for Movies, Music and Casual Gaming (Prefer big soundstage)

post #1 of 20
Thread Starter 

I'd like some recommendations, please. I'd like it to be closed over ear. It'll be used for movies, music and casual gaming like RPGs, FPSs or random indie games. The music I listen to are usually: electronica, rock, classical, jazz, and alternative. I don't have an amp, but I am maybe looking to get one for my PC in the future. That said, I'd like a pair of cans that are pretty good even without one. And, the budget is preferably under $300. Thank you guys!


Edited by zephyrus17 - 8/21/13 at 5:42am
post #2 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by zephyrus17 View Post

I'd like some recommendations, please. I'd like it to be open over ear. It'll be used for movies, music and casual gaming like RPGs, FPSs or random indie games. The music I listen to are usually: electronica, rock, classical, jazz, and alternative. I don't have an amp, but I am maybe looking to get one for my PC in the future. That said, I'd like a pair of cans that are pretty good even without one. And, the budget is preferably under $300. Thank you guys!

DT990 seems to be a good fit for you. Good for movies and gaming, and matches your music taste pretty well(at least for electronica, rock, and alternative).

post #3 of 20
Thread Starter 

Some 2 minute googling says this pair needs to be amp-ed to get decent performance. Would these still be fine without one?
 

post #4 of 20
Hello!

My suggestion:
AKG K550 (unless it you can't get good seal on these or else, it is some of the best headphone under $300)

PSB M4U1 (even better imaging than AKG K550 also better timbre)

Hope it helps!
Billson smily_headphones1.gif
post #5 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by zephyrus17 View Post

Some 2 minute googling says this pair needs to be amp-ed to get decent performance. Would these still be fine without one?
 

If you get the 32ohm version, they are designed to be use unamped. They are truly great for movies, gaming, and rock. Much better than neutral cans like SRH840, K550, or AD900 for electronica and rock.

post #6 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by zephyrus17 View Post

Some 2 minute googling says this pair needs to be amp-ed to get decent performance. Would these still be fine without one?

True, but they are on good discount on Amazon at the moment for $159 for the Pro 250 ohm version. You'd need a headphone amp to run them, but you have plenty in your budget left for that.

So I agree with kimvictor. These would be a great choice for you.

What kind of devices will you use these with (make/model)? Do you need portability?
post #7 of 20
Thread Starter 

The problem is.. I'm in Australia, and buying things here include "Australia Tax". I can get things from Amazon, but only from the UK site, and even still, only certain items are shipped.

 

I'll be using them on my computer, so portability isn't required. Currently, I have an Auzentech X-Fi Forte sound card. But it sucks, and I'll be wanting to replace it with a Asus Xonar something.

 

Previously I've specified open headphones for soundstage, but I think it might disturb my girlfriend. Are there any good closed headphones that are good in the soundstage department?

post #8 of 20
AKG K550 (and K551) have a very big soundstage for a closed can.
post #9 of 20

The CAL! is a great closed headphone with excellent soundstaging abilities, but they might be a little low-end for you.

I've heard really good things about the Audio-Technica AD900 for your needs.

post #10 of 20
Thread Starter 

Ok, K550/1, CAL (What's CAL?) and A900. What about the Sennheiser Momentum, Custom One Pro or Q 70*?

post #11 of 20

The CAL! is the "Creative Aurvana Live!". It's a small, over-ear portable headphone with a very lovely, smooth, warm sound signature that performs significantly outside its price range of $70. Again, it's probably a little low-end for you.

Also, the A900 is the closed-back version of the AD900, and they sound completely different.

post #12 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by zephyrus17 View Post

Ok, K550/1, CAL (What's CAL?) and A900. What about the Sennheiser Momentum, Custom One Pro or Q 70*?

ATH-A900 is open. So scratch that off your list. I've never heard the Cal!s, but I've also never heard that they have the soundstage of the K550/K551. The AKGs are regularly described as having soundstage close to open headphones, and I agree. biggrin.gif
post #13 of 20

Wait a minute. Do you want open over ear, or closed over ear? Your title and description say entirely different things.
 

I'd like some recommendations, please. I'd like it to be open over ear.
post #14 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tus-Chan View Post

Wait a minute. Do you want open over ear, or closed over ear? Your title and description say entirely different things.
Quote:
Originally Posted by zephyrus17 View Post

Previously I've specified open headphones for soundstage, but I think it might disturb my girlfriend. Are there any good closed headphones that are good in the soundstage department?
post #15 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by zephyrus17 View Post

The problem is.. I'm in Australia, and buying things here include "Australia Tax". I can get things from Amazon, but only from the UK site, and even still, only certain items are shipped.

I'll be using them on my computer, so portability isn't required. Currently, I have an Auzentech X-Fi Forte sound card. But it sucks, and I'll be wanting to replace it with a Asus Xonar something.

Previously I've specified open headphones for soundstage, but I think it might disturb my girlfriend. Are there any good closed headphones that are good in the soundstage department?
Two closed headphones in your price range known for soundstages are k550 and srh940. K550 has better comfort and smoother sound, while 940 has clearer, but harsher treble. Purely sound quality wise, I rate the 940 higher, but k550 has better comfort and bukld quality, as well as smoother sound.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › < AUD300 Close Over Ear for Movies, Music and Casual Gaming (Prefer big soundstage)