Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › $300~ Amp/Dac for Senn Hd600
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

$300~ Amp/Dac for Senn Hd600 - Page 2

post #16 of 27
The Modi/Magni stack has only been out since the end of last year. But even for a while before that there was the ODAC/O2 for a little bit less than the E09k/E17. The reason to go with the E09k/E17 combo is for people that wanted a portable headphone amp/DAC with the features the E17 has, and then they wanted a way to easily hook it up to speakers.
post #17 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by mink42 View Post

Apologies for the lack of replies! Been away for the past week.

 

At the moment I'm favoring the Magni/Modi stack or the audio-GD. Seems people have many positive things to say about schiit than the fiio combo.

 

Just wondering why that is? Magni/Modi is 218 from amazon (minus shipping) and the E09k/E17 is 250 odd?

 

Given the price I would have thought the magni stack would have been vastly more popular?

Fiio products tend to be a bit coloured - their house sound is on the warm side. For the HD600 you're better off with something more neutral.

post #18 of 27

Hey guys,

 

hope you're still on since the last post is already a few month old....

I'm looking for quite a comparable setup. Let's say I'm thinking about buying the Valhalla, because I would like to possess a tube based amp.

Is it reasonable to combine that with the 99$ Modi DAC? Does that makes sense or would you rather not recommend a down-grade setup like this?

 

Thank you in advance!

post #19 of 27

Same here. I just got meself a HD600 at an awesome deal locally.

I'm wondering if the Audinst HUD MX2 is a good pair for these cans.

Any thoughts?

post #20 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibored View Post
 

Same here. I just got meself a HD600 at an awesome deal locally.

I'm wondering if the Audinst HUD MX2 is a good pair for these cans.

Any thoughts?

I have heard from alot of people the MX1 sounds better than the MX2 and is cheaper. I will have the HD600 friday and use it with my setup and tell you what I think, I am pretty sure the Schiit Vali sounds good, I am using the CDAC+(modified and improved ODAC) with the Vali, and then the Fostex HP-A3 and newly owned Fournier HTA-2 Hybrid amp with the DT 880s, You could get the CDAC+ plus the Vali for about the same price as the MX2 I believe just by buying the Vali used.

post #21 of 27
I am about to upgrade from HD 558 to 600, but will have to stick with the Aune T1 which I have been usin with the 558s, for a while, at least. Let us know how the 600s do with the Vali, a neat looking little unit.
post #22 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by teb1013 View Post

I am about to upgrade from HD 558 to 600, but will have to stick with the Aune T1 which I have been usin with the 558s, for a while, at least. Let us know how the 600s do with the Vali, a neat looking little unit.


Not OP but I've tested the Vali with the 600s.

If i were you I would hang on to the Aune, which will drive the 600s perfectly well. Aside from the Aune being a little more relaxed and laid back I noticed barely any difference between it and the Vali.

Save your money for a real amp upgrade.

post #23 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by hucifer View Post


Not OP but I've tested the Vali with the 600s.


If i were you I would hang on to the Aune, which will drive the 600s perfectly well. Aside from the Aune being a little more relaxed and laid back I noticed barely any difference between it and the Vali.


Save your money for a real amp upgrade.

Thanks for the information.
post #24 of 27

Hey guys, i have a question. I ordered the O2(haven't got it yet)  for my HD600 because i like neutral sound and i knew the O2 is neutral. 

However many people suggest the Bottlehead crack for the HD600 but i am afraid about coloring the sound. I know about the 1/10 output impedance and stuff, but my question is: tube amps might color the sound for some headphones, but will the Bottlehead Crack color the HD600?

post #25 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by theodoro View Post

Hey guys, i have a question. I ordered the O2(haven't got it yet)  for my HD600 because i like neutral sound and i knew the O2 is neutral. 
However many people suggest the Bottlehead crack for the HD600 but i am afraid about coloring the sound. I know about the 1/10 output impedance and stuff, but my question is: tube amps might color the sound for some headphones, but will the Bottlehead Crack color the HD600?

All amps color the sound to some extent. With most tubes the Crack will sound lusher than the O2, although some tubes can be very neutral. The good thing about tube amps is that you can customize the sound to your liking by switching the tube. Personally I would rather pair the HD600 with a neutral amp because the headphone is already slightly warm, and I don't want it warmer than that.
post #26 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeyJacks View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibored View Post
 

Same here. I just got meself a HD600 at an awesome deal locally.

I'm wondering if the Audinst HUD MX2 is a good pair for these cans.

Any thoughts?

I have heard from alot of people the MX1 sounds better than the MX2 and is cheaper. I will have the HD600 friday and use it with my setup and tell you what I think, I am pretty sure the Schiit Vali sounds good, I am using the CDAC+(modified and improved ODAC) with the Vali, and then the Fostex HP-A3 and newly owned Fournier HTA-2 Hybrid amp with the DT 880s, You could get the CDAC+ plus the Vali for about the same price as the MX2 I believe just by buying the Vali used.

Any chance you posted a review of the MX2 + HD600s?

post #27 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by theodoro View Post
 

Hey guys, i have a question. I ordered the O2(haven't got it yet)  for my HD600 because i like neutral sound and i knew the O2 is neutral. 

However many people suggest the Bottlehead crack for the HD600 but i am afraid about coloring the sound. I know about the 1/10 output impedance and stuff, but my question is: tube amps might color the sound for some headphones, but will the Bottlehead Crack color the HD600?

I suggest you read about the Bottlehead Crack pairing with HD600 in the BH thread. Maybe you'll discover as many have that they're a great match. BC can be further upgraded with Speedball and a host of other components.

 

All amps color the sound, as well as headphones themselves.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › $300~ Amp/Dac for Senn Hd600