Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Cables, Power, Tweaks, Speakers, Accessories (DBT-Free Forum) › How do I hook up two active monitors to subwoofer without sound card?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

How do I hook up two active monitors to subwoofer without sound card?

post #1 of 17
Thread Starter 

Hello,

 

I know this is a noob question, but I have only recently started upgrading to serious audio equipment, one component at a time. I recently purchased a pair of M-Audio BX8 D2 monitors, which are connected directly to my PC with a mini stereo jack to dual XLR cable. I would like to connect my Lava LSP10 subwoofer to my setup, and I do not own a sound card and do not plan to purchase one just yet. Each of the monitors is active, and I am not sure what cable I should purchase to do so.

 

Here is the back of my monitors:

http://www.m-audio.com/images/global/media_hqpics/BX8-back.jpg

 

Best picture I could find of the back of my sub:

http://www.lavasubs.com/images/lava_sub_panel.jpg

 

I would not like to purchase any components besides the cable at the current moment. What should I purchase?

post #2 of 17
Sorry, I don't have an answer for you right now, but I was listening to the BX8 D2's yesterday @ GC and really liked them. I was thinking about getting them for my PC setup as well. Just curious, but what do you think about these active monitors for music listening? I'm trying to weigh in on some options right now.
post #3 of 17

Looks like about the only thing you can do, given your constraints, is to split your 3.5mm output into two, and run a 3.5mm to stereo RCA to the line inputs on the sub (leaving the run you already have on the other side of the split). Looks like you can cut the low end on your monitors to one of three different spots - 37hz, 47hz, 80hz. Experiment and set low pass on sub accordingly. 

post #4 of 17
Thread Starter 

I figured out how to connect my sub, with a headphone splitter and RCA to mini stereo jack, thanks guys!

 

@brhfl, I upgraded from Audioengine A2, and the difference is significant. The sound of the M-Audio BX8 D2 isn't as warm as that of the A2s, but that's not necessarily a bad thing, I'm just not used to the new sound yet. There is significantly greater clarity, especially with acoustic instruments. Low quality audio files became increasingly more obvious with the M-Audio. The treble is a little harsh at first, but that has improved and I trust it will continue to improve as the speakers burn in. I am very satisfied with my purchase.

post #5 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbfs View Post
 

Hello,

 

I know this is a noob question, but I have only recently started upgrading to serious audio equipment, one component at a time. I recently purchased a pair of M-Audio BX8 D2 monitors, which are connected directly to my PC with a mini stereo jack to dual XLR cable. I would like to connect my Lava LSP10 subwoofer to my setup, and I do not own a sound card and do not plan to purchase one just yet. Each of the monitors is active, and I am not sure what cable I should purchase to do so.

 

Here is the back of my monitors:

http://www.m-audio.com/images/global/media_hqpics/BX8-back.jpg

 

Best picture I could find of the back of my sub:

http://www.lavasubs.com/images/lava_sub_panel.jpg

 

I would not like to purchase any components besides the cable at the current moment. What should I purchase?

First of all you should never connect M AUDIO BX8 directly to your pc,sound will be average at best with little soundstage and muddy bass and sub is not going to help things.Since you already invested in a good studio monitor why not spend a little more and buy a Schiit(actual company) amp+dac combo,sound card is for desktop speakers which have colored sound(artificial),for a studio monitor as good as BX8 it's a waste of money if you are directly connecting to PC.Think of it like this way you purchased a Ferrari but you never drive it,that is the same thing here.

post #6 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by krishtrinity1 View Post

First of all you should never connect M AUDIO BX8 directly to your pc,sound will be average at best with little soundstage and muddy bass and sub is not going to help things.Since you already invested in a good studio monitor why not spend a little more and buy a Schiit(actual company) amp+dac combo,sound card is for desktop speakers which have colored sound(artificial),for a studio monitor as good as BX8 it's a waste of money if you are directly connecting to PC.Think of it like this way you purchased a Ferrari but you never drive it,that is the same thing here.

This is nonsense. If the op doesnt have any noise problems or need dsp, there is hardly any audible reason to buy another soundcard.

Also, this thread was long dead. Why revive it?

Cheers
Edited by ab initio - 8/19/14 at 7:25am
post #7 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by ab initio View Post


This is nonsense. If the op doesnt have any noise problems or need dsp, there is hardly any audible reason to buy another soundcard.

Also, this thread was long dead. Why revive it?

Chee

That was my first post,so far i am not impressed with the response for trying to help a person.

post #8 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by krishtrinity1 View Post

That was my first post,so far i am not impressed with the response for trying to help a person.

Well, that post was from August 2013. I'm sure the OP is long gone now. Most of us who try to help people don't revive 1 year old threads. LOL
post #9 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145 View Post


Well, that post was from August 2013. I'm sure the OP is long gone now. Most of us who try to help people don't revive 1 year old threads. LOL

Why don't you just tell me how this forum works,this feels a little different from the forums i used to visit.

post #10 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by krishtrinity1 View Post

Why don't you just tell me how this forum works,this feels a little different from the forums i used to visit.

You participated in forums where people try to help people who have been gone for a year??? Not my experience on other forums confused.gif
post #11 of 17

I mean how do i edit my profile?I did not see the date when i was posting the answer to the question you are refering to.

post #12 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by krishtrinity1 View Post

I mean how do i edit my profile?I did not see the date when i was posting the answer to the question you are refering to.

Sorry. I thought you were being a smart ass. lol

When on a computer, click on your username and to view your profile. Then, the profile editing options are at the top right.

You may have to have a number of posts to edit it, though (just a guess).
post #13 of 17

Seems like it,i don't see the option to edit my profile.You seem like you have good experience with audio,what is your opinion on Audinst HUD mini.I am trying to upgrade my xonar stx for ath m50+M audio BX5 D2,i am not looking for better quality than STX just more portability and sound signature similar to FIIO E11.I invest more of my money in photography equipment so i have limited budget for audio.How is tubemagic D1?


Edited by krishtrinity1 - 8/22/14 at 8:20pm
post #14 of 17
The TubeMagic D1 is very good if you need all that functionality. Otherwise, Schiit Modi and Magni seem to be about the best value at that price point.
post #15 of 17

TUBEMAGIC A1 or D1 for headphone+speaker combo?

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Cables, Power, Tweaks, Speakers, Accessories (DBT-Free Forum) › How do I hook up two active monitors to subwoofer without sound card?