I've been lurking for a few days reading Mad Lust Envy's guide amongst others and unfortunately I'm still no clearer on what to buy/not buy. So I thought I'd rack your sexy brains for some more advice.
My current equipment:
- Creative X-Fi XtremeGamer Fatal1ty Pro soundcard
- Speedlink Medusa NX 5.1 headset (is poop, is uncomfortable and is dying on me)
- gaming; mmo, fps, racing. All sorts really.
- movies/tv; dvd and bluray
- budget: £125~. I have been contemplating splashing for the Sennheiser PC360s at £160, but I'm about to head off to uni and I could really do with NOT spending £160
- open cup
- over ear
- have Dolby Headphone if USB or work well with CMSS-3D if not
My main options as I see it are:
- Sennheiser PC323D? Very few reviews for these and some say they are very flimsy (they certainly look a bit thin).
- I've tried the Corsair Vengeance 1500 and have sent them back for a refund (heavy, uncomfortable, closed cup, whines when in a program that uses the mic, and didn't sound anywhere near as good as what I'm used to from my soundcard + Medusas).
- I've also had a look at the Skullcandy PLYR1 and these look awesome (closed cup though), but they don't seem to exist in the UK at the moment.
- Sennheiser PC360 (expensive)
- Astro A40 (only partially open)
- Sennheiser HD558. These look pretty much perfect (and not too pricey). Then use a clip on/desktop mic (not overly fond of the idea) or an Antlion Modmic (pricey and would take weeks to get here).
- other opinions welcome but as I say I'm not enthused with the idea of a separate mic.
My other query is, if I were to get the 558 or the PC360 or even the A40, would my soundcard have enough oomph to drive them? I've read conflicting things regarding this, some say this soundcard NEEDS an additional amp, some say just the card is fine. I really don't think I can afford an amp as well at the moment so whatever I get will have to be able to run off the soundcard nicely.
Thanks very much for taking the time to read all that and for your (hopefully) incoming advice!