Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › Grace m903 report with HD800, LCD-2, LCD-3, T5P.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Grace m903 report with HD800, LCD-2, LCD-3, T5P. - Page 7

post #91 of 123
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by hekeli View Post


If anything, the LCD difference to me was more like 30% (noticeably more airy, natural etc - of course there could be even slight manufacturing differences and other people have had veiled pairs etc - both of these were RMAd). 5% is the difference I've found between amps/dacs (you really need to struggle to hear the differences - of course level matched etc and not "just listening" mental bull****).

 

With the m903 there is no way it's anywhere close to a 30% difference. If there is a 30% difference with the Burson, I will *for sure* keep the LCD-3.

post #92 of 123
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by third_eye View Post

 

I'm going to plug the m903/HE500 synergy again. Really worth auditioning if you have the time to get it in from Amazon.

 

It never ends does it biggrin.gif

 

I would love to just try everything, but I don't think it's a good idea. I'm leaving next friday and I need some money in my account. I'm afraid the returns will take too long and I'll be broke when I get there.

 

If the Burson creates a significant difference, that may spur me to try a couple more things after returning some of what I already have, but if it doesn't then I'm going to choose from this lot.

post #93 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by third_eye View Post

 

The m903's main improvement was the DAC. I think the amp section is comparable to a V200 solid state amp (with the V200 being warmer and "friendlier" to many headphones), but begins to fall short of amps like the BHA-1. 

 

This was exactly my impression as well... moving immediately from a V200 to the Grace m903, I found the sound quality and ability to drive different cans to be remarkably similar between the two.

post #94 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by delano22 View Post

 

That seems like way too much processing. I'd rather have headphones just be headphones and monitors just be monitors, especially since people will listen to music on normal headphones.

 

Atleast say too much money, which would make sense. biggrin.gif

 

If you want to hear the sound exactly like your monitors/room and/or want a true 7.1 sound in your headphones, then look at Realiser. If that's something you do not want or are not willing to pay for, that's more than fine. I'm just curious what the processing has to do with it (result is what matters).. many people even listen purely music with it since it gives the real speaker soundstage.

 

(Since you mentioned before that it's for a semi-portable rig, it seemed appproriate. Realiser even has semi-decend dac/amp so you could just get some cheaper headphones with it and actually mix on the go.)

 

/end of sales


Edited by hekeli - 8/20/13 at 1:11pm
post #95 of 123

I found the difference between LCD-2.2 and LCD-3 to be rather significant, but it's not a slam dunk that the $$$ premium is worth it. That's a lot of scratch to stay within the same basic framework of the Audeze house sound.

 

That said, it may very well be the m903 at fault here. I love mine, but it's not without its weaknesses as a head amp. I find the m903 to be a little shy in energy and detail in the mid-treble and above, and also to slightly lack in bass impact and depth. These are (along with soundstage) the two exact areas where I find the LCD-3 to be noticeably better than the 2.2. From a synergy standpoint, then, it might just be that the m903 doesn't bring out the best in the LCD-3 where it makes the comparison most telling.

 

Or else you just don't like the LCD-3 enough to make the upgrade worthwhile, which is (of course) perfectly legit as well.

post #96 of 123
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by hekeli View Post

 

Atleast say too much money, which would make sense. biggrin.gif

 

If you want to hear the sound exactly like your monitors/room and/or want a true 7.1 sound in your headphones, then look at Realiser. If that's something you do not want or are not willing to pay for, that's more than fine. I'm just curious what the processing has to do with it (result is what matters).. many people even listen purely music with it since it gives the real speaker soundstage.

 

(Since you mentioned before that it's for a semi-portable rig, it seemed appproriate. Realiser even has semi-decend dac/amp so you could just get some cheaper headphones with it and actually mix on the go.)

 

/end of sales

 

 

You say "exactly like your monitors/room" and "real speaker soundstage".

 

Even if Realiser is very, very good - it's still a simulation that relies on processing to simulate something that it is not. It's not that it's too much money, I'd just rather have headphones be headphones than try to be studio speakers. After all, the final musical product ends up on headphones as well. It has nothing to do with money, it's just not for me. Plus I have no use for surround.

 

Don't get me wrong, it looks cool though and probably has a lot of fun applications.

post #97 of 123
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olias of Sunhillow View Post

I found the difference between LCD-2.2 and LCD-3 to be rather significant, but it's not a slam dunk that the $$$ premium is worth it. That's a lot of scratch to stay within the same basic framework of the Audeze house sound.

 

That said, it may very well be the m903 at fault here. I love mine, but it's not without its weaknesses as a head amp. I find the m903 to be a little shy in energy and detail in the mid-treble and above, and also to slightly lack in bass impact and depth. These are (along with soundstage) the two exact areas where I find the LCD-3 to be noticeably better than the 2.2. From a synergy standpoint, then, it might just be that the m903 doesn't bring out the best in the LCD-3 where it makes the comparison most telling.

 

Or else you just don't like the LCD-3 enough to make the upgrade worthwhile, which is (of course) perfectly legit as well.

 

Perhaps. That's why I'm trying the Burson as well - to get a different perspective about the difference between 2/3. 

post #98 of 123

I have had the LCD-2 and LCD-3 running through my Grace Design m903 and to me there is no comparison.  The LCD-3 is quicker, less tizzy in the highs, and has a much more neutral sound from bass to treble.  The LCD-3 and m903 combo is definitely worth listening to.

post #99 of 123
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by NA Blur View Post

I have had the LCD-2 and LCD-3 running through my Grace Design m903 and to me there is no comparison.  The LCD-3 is quicker, less tizzy in the highs, and has a much more neutral sound from bass to treble.  The LCD-3 and m903 combo is definitely worth listening to.

 

I've listened to it. It's right here in front of me. The frequency response is basically almost the same to me and I don't notice anything about "quickness". They're both about as quick as you can be. If anything, the LCD-2 is more accurate than the LCD-3 in frequency in the highs, and the bass and midrange are nearly identical. The frequency response charts agree with me, too...

 

 

 

 

 

Are you talking about the LCD-2 Rev 2 or original? I have Rev 2.


Edited by delano22 - 8/20/13 at 2:08pm
post #100 of 123

I am talking about comparing the LCD-3 and the LCD-2 Bamboo.

 

The major difference I hear is the increase in treble on the LCD-3.  It sounds like an increase in clarity and airiness on instruments like cymbals and chimes.  It might be subtle, but to me it is important to have this information for positioning ques and treble extension.

 

You are listening to both from your m903?

post #101 of 123
Thread Starter 

LCD-3 and LCD-2 Rosewood, both out of m903 here - via USB...maybe that makes a difference if you are going in RCA.

 

There is a difference in the treble to me, but the LCD-3 sounds like it has less treble so the overall picture seems "smoother". 

 

Either way the relative difference is almost negligible compared to the difference between those two and, say, the HD800 for example.

post #102 of 123

I guess my comparison was more on par if I had to choose between the LCD-2 and LCD-3 and a final headphone I would choose the LCD-3.  If you are looking to save money you can always go for the HE-500.

 

I felt that the T5P is a bit dry sounding coming from the m903, but I also think it is a dry sounding headphone.  It did not engage me like the LCD-3 does.

post #103 of 123
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by NA Blur View Post

I guess my comparison was more on par if I had to choose between the LCD-2 and LCD-3 and a final headphone I would choose the LCD-3.  If you are looking to save money you can always go for the HE-500.

 

I felt that the T5P is a bit dry sounding coming from the m903, but I also think it is a dry sounding headphone.  It did not engage me like the LCD-3 does.

 

It's not really about saving money, because I could afford the LCD-3. I just think it's not a fair price so I don't want it (with the m903 that is - i may change my mind after Burson).

 

I really like the T5P. It's definitely different than the others because of the closed factor, but the more I hear it, the more I like it anyway. What it lacks in spacious liveliness it makes up for in soothing intimacy. I even like it straight out of my laptop. If I get the T5P, I'm most likely going to go without the m903, because frankly it just doesn't need it.


Edited by delano22 - 8/20/13 at 3:14pm
post #104 of 123

Sorry to comment on here without any advice but this was a very enjoyable (Fun and Funny) read :)

 

Im actually curious as to why you have the T5p over the T1 since the rest of your headphones are TOTL. 

Um yea, HE-500 is very highly rated...

and like others have said, the Burson is supposed to pair well with the HD 800 and Audeze. 

 

also, dont take this personally but, you spent roughly $7000 usd and just bought another $2000 amp/dac. 

WTF. im so jealous. 

 

personally im rooting for the HD 800 but I dont think you like that kind of sound signature. 


Anyways popcorn.gif

post #105 of 123

Yes. this has been a fun thread. I hope that Burson arrives soon......I'm ready for the next installment. popcorn.gif
 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: High-end Audio Forum
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › Grace m903 report with HD800, LCD-2, LCD-3, T5P.