Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphone Amps › Light Harmonic GEEK
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Light Harmonic GEEK - Page 43

post #631 of 1367
Quote:
Originally Posted by FraGGleR View Post
 

I got a shipping notice on 4/17 and received my GEEK Out 450 today.  This thing is REALLY good, and was easily worth the wait for me.  Definitely better than the HRT Microstreamer on first listen.  Need to build a new cable to hook it up to my Schiit Vali and an adapter for some of my headphones before I can give it a good comparo to my Nuforce HDP and cDAC+ as sources and a combo.

Can it drive the HD800 OK?

post #632 of 1367
Quote:
Originally Posted by pearljam50000 View Post
 

Can it drive the HD800 OK?

I'll get back to you this evening.  Still need to build an adapter to do so.

post #633 of 1367
Quote:
Originally Posted by FraGGleR View Post
 

You are welcome too if you come into the city!

 

I know Cincy isn't that close to Chicago, but a big meet is being put together for late June.  Check my signature for details.

 

I'll have to check that out. I love visiting Chicagoland and the outlying suburbs which is why I've been there 3 times in the past 2 weeks, if you count my trip tomorrow to Plainfield. June is far enough out to be able to plan for it. Looks like a pretty sizable meet, I think I'll try for it. I'd love to meet some of the vendors and members on that list.

 

*edit* Megabus is my friend. To Chicago and back for under $30 usually unless I feel like driving. If it's in the city, I'll bus up and use the L to get around.


Edited by AxelCloris - 4/22/14 at 11:23am
post #634 of 1367

Anyone have volume setting issues in Windows?  As in it resets every time plugged/unplugged to maximum volume?

post #635 of 1367
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Sneis View Post
 

Anyone have volume setting issues in Windows?  As in it resets every time plugged/unplugged to maximum volume?

I haven't run into that issue yet with the Geek 450 and Windows 8.1 x64.  I haven't touched the physical buttons after Larry confirmed that we should be using the Windows volume control.


Edited by FraGGleR - 4/22/14 at 2:34pm
post #636 of 1367
Quote:
Originally Posted by pearljam50000 View Post
 

Can it drive the HD800 OK?

My 450 works well with the HD800!  Gets about as loud as I would ever listen at 50% volume.  It is better out of the 47ohm output to my ears as it has a little better bass.  Sounds better out of the 0.47ohm output with the HD650s.  I am hearing record noise more than I remember on my other DACs.  More to come as I am able to have time to build a switchbox so I don't have to constantly swap connectors.

post #637 of 1367

FraGGleR.. how do you like the GO's DAC w/ the Vali?

post #638 of 1367
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlySweep View Post
 

FraGGleR.. how do you like the GO's DAC w/ the Vali?

 

Hey man, I was just about to officially ask that!   

so  +2

:beerchug:

post #639 of 1367
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlySweep View Post
 

FraGGleR.. how do you like the GO's DAC w/ the Vali?

It's quite good.  I prefer the Go/Vali combo with the HD800s better than just the Go.  Adds just a smidge of warmth and spaciousness that really make the HD800s shine.  I have all the parts for my multi in/out switchbox that I need for an in depth comparison, but not much time.

 

At $300ish for the combo, I'm not sure there is anything better that I have heard anywhere near that.  It surpasses my Nuforce HDP, which has been a longstanding favorite and excellent value.  I wish I still had my HifiM8 to compare, but I'm pretty sure I like the presentation of the Vali better than the M8 with my HD800s.

post #640 of 1367

Added my review of the GO:

http://www.head-fi.org/products/lhlabs-geek-out/reviews/10882

post #641 of 1367

Just received my black Geek Out 450. So far sounds great right out of the box but just a few questions I want to bring up. First, has anyone found that there's quite a bit of noise when using IEMs, especially with the 0.47 ohm output? My Heaven V (16 ohms) sounds absolutely terrible with the 0.47 ohm output because of the amount of noise I'm getting. It's usable on the 47 ohm output but I'm still hearing some noise with no music playing. My HiFimeDIY Sabre DAC has no noise compared to the Geek Out. Second, what buffer settings are people using? I'm not exactly sure what difference the settings make.

post #642 of 1367

Are you playing it straight-out-of-the box @ 8x 48KHz (384KHz)?

post #643 of 1367
Quote:
Originally Posted by junker View Post
 

Are you playing it straight-out-of-the box @ 8x 48KHz (384KHz)?

 

Well only the light for 44.1K is on so I'm guessing that I'm not?

post #644 of 1367
Quote:
Originally Posted by akarise View Post

Just received my black Geek Out 450. So far sounds great right out of the box but just a few questions I want to bring up. First, has anyone found that there's quite a bit of noise when using IEMs, especially with the 0.47 ohm output? My Heaven V (16 ohms) sounds absolutely terrible with the 0.47 ohm output because of the amount of noise I'm getting. It's usable on the 47 ohm output but I'm still hearing some noise with no music playing. My HiFimeDIY Sabre DAC has no noise compared to the Geek Out. Second, what buffer settings are people using? I'm not exactly sure what difference the settings make.
Are you running the hifime straight out of the computer or do you also have a USB isolator?
post #645 of 1367
Quote:
Originally Posted by kugino View Post


Are you running the hifime straight out of the computer or do you also have a USB isolator?

 

I run both straight out of my laptop and the Sabre DAC has pretty much no noise.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Headphone Amps
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphone Amps › Light Harmonic GEEK