Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphone Amps › Light Harmonic GEEK
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Light Harmonic GEEK - Page 19

post #271 of 1058
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorjazz View Post

Will the Super Duper have trouble with iems? Ordered that one figuring it would be good for anything.

I run a 1000mW amp to my iems on my desktop. Works fine (just keep the volume under halfway).

post #272 of 1058

When I listen to my IEM directly from my Macbook Pro I have to have the volume on the absolute lowest level. The Geek would be controlled by the volume control in OS X. I feel that the 1W version could potentially cause painful listening levels. Thoughts?

post #273 of 1058
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxelCloris View Post

When I listen to my IEM directly from my Macbook Pro I have to have the volume on the absolute lowest level. The Geek would be controlled by the volume control in OS X. I feel that the 1W version could potentially cause painful listening levels. Thoughts?
I thought the Geek Out has both operating system-level volume control and its own controls. Most external DAC/amps have that kind of volume control.

But yeah, I'm wondering the same thing. I upgraded the Geek Out/Pulse to the Super-Duper Geek Out since I would like the ability to drive [nearly] all headphones, but I also want a reasonable control of volume with my more sensitive headphones. :/
post #274 of 1058
Quote:
Originally Posted by miceblue View Post


I thought the Geek Out has both operating system-level volume control and its own controls. Most external DAC/amps have that kind of volume control.

But yeah, I'm wondering the same thing. I upgraded the Geek Out/Pulse to the Super-Duper Geek Out since I would like the ability to drive [nearly] all headphones, but I also want a reasonable control of volume with my more sensitive headphones. :/

 

If the Geek has its own volume control built in then huzzah! I know it has the volume up/down buttons on there but most devices I've had that have digital volume control simply modify the source volume through the drivers. If this isn't the case and the Geek is independent from the OS then I'm going to upgrade to the Super-Duper version since that will power my Alpha Dogs better.

 

I've asked a similar question in the past and the consensus seemed to be that the S and SD may be too strong when controlling the volume.

post #275 of 1058

I can't find any updates, is the geek dac still supposed to be shipped on jan/14? even to europe? 

post #276 of 1058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr H View Post
 

I can't find any updates, is the geek dac still supposed to be shipped on jan/14? even to europe? 


i wasn't aware there was a release/shipping date ??

post #277 of 1058
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaywillin View Post
 


i wasn't aware there was a release/shipping date ??

 

while at CES with Larry H saying he found another tweek to make the Geek Out "sound better", I find it hard to believe the final manufacturing could have even started yet?

 

I for one would welcome a downturn in the hype train now that indiegogo (Pulse) and CES are completed, and LHLabs just "focus" on actually building/shipping product.

Not saying they aren't doing so, but the marketing/forum spiel seems so over the top without a single product shipped yet....

post #278 of 1058
Quote:
Originally Posted by jexby View Post
 

 

while at CES with Larry H saying he found another tweek to make the Geek Out "sound better", I find it hard to believe the final manufacturing could have even started yet?

 

I for one would welcome a downturn in the hype train now that indiegogo (Pulse) and CES are completed, and LHLabs just "focus" on actually building/shipping product.

Not saying they aren't doing so, but the marketing/forum spiel seems so over the top without a single product shipped yet....

 

 

 

i agree, and i believe things have slowed , at least on the two threads (out/pulse)  i'm subscribed to, but whenever units do start shipping, i expect it'll ramp back up for a while

post #279 of 1058
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaywillin View Post
 

 

i agree, and i believe things have slowed , at least on the two threads (out/pulse)  i'm subscribed to, but whenever units do start shipping, i expect it'll ramp back up for a while

 

yes, some forums have slowed.  and I'd expect and welcome the ramp up after products are shipping and heard in the wild.

but wow the Gavin and LHLabs twitter feed was amass with minutiae last week....

post #280 of 1058

Looks like my question was answered by Larry this morning.

 

Quote:
 Geek Out has integrated volume control.... So when you use vol up and down buttons, you will change the internal volume settings.

When computer set the new volume, that value will reset the buttons' settings and change the current value to computer's setting.

 

So the Geek Out will have integrated volume control, but it will also react to the OS control. I gotta say that sounds like a pretty darned smart design. Now the question returns to which one should I get? :p If the Super Duper won't be overkill for my IEM then I'll go that route since it will power my orthos better.


Edited by AxelCloris - 1/13/14 at 8:56am
post #281 of 1058
Quote:
Originally Posted by jexby View Post
 

 

yes, some forums have slowed.  and I'd expect and welcome the ramp up after products are shipping and heard in the wild.

but wow the Gavin and LHLabs twitter feed was amass with minutiae last week....


lol, i don't tweet , i'm old lol

yeah, enough tweaking already , lets get to shipping !

post #282 of 1058
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxelCloris View Post
 

Looks like my question was answered by Larry this morning.

 

 

So the Geek Out will have integrated volume control, but it will also react to the OS control. I gotta say that sounds like a pretty darned smart design. Now the question returns to which one should I get? :p If the Super Duper won't be overkill for my IEM then I'll go that route since it will power my orthos better.


pretty sure it was stated somewhere in this thread that you wouldnt have much room to play with the volume if you use the super duper with IEM's. it wont be like the geek pulse that you change the gain settings manually.

post #283 of 1058
Quote:
Originally Posted by jexby View Post
 

 

while at CES with Larry H saying he found another tweek to make the Geek Out "sound better", I find it hard to believe the final manufacturing could have even started yet?

 

 

bad form to quote myself, but the great AxelCloris stated elsewhere that:

 

"The improvement Larry found was in the firmware for the ESS9018K2M so thankfully it wouldn't require any physical change. And also thankfully Larry has implemented the change into the Pulse. He found it before CES so any units that have already gone through production can be updated at the LH labs fairly easily. It shouldn't push back production time by much to change the firmware settings that are loaded at the factory."

 

so any (of my) dread about delays in manufacturing seem unfounded.  welcomed.

post #284 of 1058
Quote:
Originally Posted by jexby View Post

 

bad form to quote myself, but the great AxelCloris stated elsewhere that:

 

I'm sorry...what? O_o

post #285 of 1058

just giving you props- 

over on the Geek Out send out forums you updated about the Larry H found improvements.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Headphone Amps
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphone Amps › Light Harmonic GEEK