Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphone Amps › Light Harmonic GEEK
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Light Harmonic GEEK - Page 12

post #166 of 1363

Is it too late to get in the "contributors" price.  Is it just available for pre-orders now?  

post #167 of 1363

Just pre-ordered.  Now the waiting.  Are they targeting beginning of January or late January? 

 

Does anyone know the "house sound" of Light Harmonics (da vinci dac)?  


Edited by sling5s - 10/27/13 at 2:30pm
post #168 of 1363
The question I have is if its DSD support is through DoP or ASIO. I would hope DoP to use it with my iPhone5 and the OnkyoHF player
post #169 of 1363
Quote:
Originally Posted by sling5s View Post
 

Just pre-ordered.  Now the waiting.  Are they targeting beginning of January or late January? 

 

Does anyone know the "house sound" of Light Harmonics (da vinci dac)?  

I don't think we can realistically compare the DAC's.  The chipsets and topology are completely diffferent.  I suppose you can read reviews on the Da Vinci and try to guess what they might try for.  But that is a TOTL DAC and this is for the masses.  The voicing could be completely different.  The chipset they are using just came out a few months ago so it will be hard to compare it to anything.  Only Resonessence has put out a product based on it so far (Concero HD and Concero HP).  

post #170 of 1363
Quote:
Originally Posted by FraGGleR View Post

Didn't I just explain that it is a second headphone out and not a true line out?  If you want to play the semantics game, this has a built in preamp since you can use the variable line out with external monitors or a speaker amp.
Indeed I got a reply from Larry himself :
Your suggestion 'was' one of my design idea as well. But after few rounds of competition from other design ideas, this one didn't make it.
Because one major issue of this 'by-pass' is that Sabre direct output's 'output impedance' is not LOW enough so even when driving your
pre-amp directly, the interconnect cable's capacitance will dominate and work like the Low pass filter. When we working with 3.5mm to 2 RCA output 
Y cable, we can't control the possible capacitance. So I would rather to let Geek Out's good output driver which have very low output impedance
and we could ignore much of the influence from interconnect cable.

Thanks a lot,

Larry
Edited by frank2908 - 10/28/13 at 8:41am
post #171 of 1363

Nice little Geek announcement happening tonight that I will be jumping on.

post #172 of 1363
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhazard View Post
 

Nice little Geek announcement happening tonight that I will be jumping on.

Same!

post #173 of 1363

:D

post #174 of 1363
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhazard View Post
 

Nice little Geek announcement happening tonight that I will be jumping on.


?

post #175 of 1363
Quote:
Originally Posted by frank2908 View Post


Indeed I got a reply from Larry himself :
Your suggestion 'was' one of my design idea as well. But after few rounds of competition from other design ideas, this one didn't make it.
Because one major issue of this 'by-pass' is that Sabre direct output's 'output impedance' is not LOW enough so even when driving your
pre-amp directly, the interconnect cable's capacitance will dominate and work like the Low pass filter. When we working with 3.5mm to 2 RCA output 
Y cable, we can't control the possible capacitance. So I would rather to let Geek Out's good output driver which have very low output impedance
and we could ignore much of the influence from interconnect cable.

Thanks a lot,

Larry

When Larry says: "this one didn't make it"....I feel pretty stupid in asking but is Larry saying that the "line out" feature was implemented or taken out? 

I'm really hoping for a true line out and not just a headphone out that can be used as a line out. 

post #176 of 1363
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhazard View Post
 

Nice little Geek announcement happening tonight that I will be jumping on.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FraGGleR View Post
 

Same!


same here too !!

post #177 of 1363
Quote:
Originally Posted by sling5s View Post
 

When Larry says: "this one didn't make it"....I feel pretty stupid in asking but is Larry saying that the "line out" feature was implemented or taken out? 

I'm really hoping for a true line out and not just a headphone out that can be used as a line out. 

A fixed line out that bypasses the amplification stage is not included.  As Larry explained this would have had serious interactions with the cables used.  By putting it through the amplification stage, the cable interactions are basically removed.  So you don't get this "pure line out" that a few people are obsessed with.  What you get is a second headphone out with slightly higher output impedance that you can use as a variable line out.  Many desktop DACs do this with no adverse effect.  


Edited by FraGGleR - 10/28/13 at 9:43am
post #178 of 1363
Quote:
Originally Posted by FraGGleR View Post
 

A fixed line out that bypasses the amplification stage is not included.  As Larry explained this would have had serious interactions with the cables used.  By putting it through the amplification stage, the cable interactions are basically removed.  So you don't get this "pure line out" that a few people are obsessed with.  What you get is a second headphone out with slightly higher output impedance that you can use as a variable line out.  Many desktop DACs do this with no adverse effect.  

Thanks you for your reply.  One more stupid question: what is the advantage of using the "high z" instead of "low z" as variable line out?   Or does it matter? 

post #179 of 1363
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnero View Post
 


?

Original Geek Kickstarter backers were given a secret email last night about a new product they will be launching at midnight tonight PST. It's a desktop version of the Geek called Geek Pulse.

post #180 of 1363
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhazard View Post
 

Original Geek Kickstarter backers were given a secret email last night about a new product they will be launching at midnight tonight PST. It's a desktop version of the Geek called Geek Pulse.

 

Cool, thanks for the info.

 

I'm pretty happy with the HiFi-M8 but I can't help be a little intrigued by the GEEK. I've managed to hold myself back from ordering one but I'm not sure if I'll be able to last or not.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Headphone Amps
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphone Amps › Light Harmonic GEEK