Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Westone UM PRO Series Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Westone UM PRO Series Thread - Page 38

post #556 of 644
Sorry I can't help in this case as I have not heard the M100, am a bit scared to demo more phones in case I fall in love with them and go bankrupt. Only things I could say is that the SE846 with the standard nozzle are a bit like the LCD-2 r1, the Pro 50 are darker with less sub bass, and I will not be able to demo the W60 until next month at least. From what I've read about the M100, they seem to be a bit like the HD 25.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarurururu View Post

I've listened to M80 before so I guess M100 would share similar character. As SE846 has its new invention focusing on the bass part, whereas W serious are relatively leaning towards natural, therefore it's reasonable to suggest SE846. That being said, you may ask Danz 03 (from above) for his opinion as he own the SE846.
Or, you can wait until I get my ASG 2.5 in a weeks time then check my comment. However, the best way would always be having audition yourself and see, if possible.
post #557 of 644
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danz03 View Post

am a bit scared to demo more phones in case I fall in love with them and go bankrupt. From what I've read about the M100, they seem to be a bit like the HD 25.

Thought you are already bankrupt after the evil AKR03... lol, Just kidding...

Surely HD-25 II & M80 (may be M100 as well) share similar sound signature as they are both DJ orientated, the highs of HD-25 can sometimes be irritating, however, self modifying the HD-25 is fun:D

post #558 of 644
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow_shooter View Post

you're kidding right? because there's no way i'm dropping 2k for headphones! jokes on you tho!

Haha you asked for the best phones with the sound signature that you're looking for so there you go! There is none that fits your search criteria better. Lol.
post #559 of 644
If the UE PRM is actually what they claimed to be, I'll be very interested, saves a lot of time and money finding the ultimate IEM.
post #560 of 644

Hello, I've recently bought a Westone UM 30 Pro

 

I've just recently found out that there's a slight channel overlap in my IEM (In Windows 8.1 all stock)

I only plugged the left IEM's cable while the right one is both unplugged and outside of my ears, I pressed the left and right test sound, and I could hear a light sound (for the right) on my left ear!

 

 

Is this a normal occurence or should I start to have it for warrantied?

 

 

http://i.imgur.com/9x7DNb7.png

 

Check image, despite having 0 for right channel, it still produces sound.


Edited by Riesig - 5/15/14 at 6:01am
post #561 of 644
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riesig View Post
 

Hello, I've recently bought a Westone UM 30 Pro

 

I've just recently found out that there's a slight channel overlap in my IEM (In Windows 8.1 all stock)

I only plugged the left IEM's cable while the right one is both unplugged and outside of my ears, I pressed the left and right test sound, and I could hear a light sound (for the right) on my left ear!

 

 

Is this a normal occurence or should I start to have it for warrantied?

 

 

http://i.imgur.com/9x7DNb7.png

 

Check image, despite having 0 for right channel, it still produces sound.

I would suggest using another pair of earphone to repeat the same procedures, then you may find out whether it's the UM 30 or something else.


Edited by Sarurururu - 5/15/14 at 6:35am
post #562 of 644

Weird, it happens on my GR06 as well.

 

I've noticed it because I've bought the RC-SE1 for the lulz and just tried one ear out.


The RC-SE1 doesn't have this "channel overlap" but I think it has something to do with the cable changing the impedance of it.

 

Case closed, I'll probably monitor this issue "less" because I think it has something to do with my amp / deeper Windows settings.

post #563 of 644

I sold my W4R and got a UM Pro 30. What I came to realize is actually quite positive in this expensive journey of audio gear and non-stop temptation. They were both so fantastic in their own way that comparing them defeats the purpose. They just cater to different preferences of how people like their music. Just putting it out there in case anyone was too busy googling UM3x vs W4 and pulling hair over where $400 should go.

 

Where UM Pro 30s delivered that feeling like I "was there" with the intimacy, what with the way the drums decay and the vocals sound as if the singer was right there,  the W4Rs gave me that grand feeling (especially for classical) like as if you came down to a concert hall to watch them play. I do miss that feeling and the flat signature that makes sure every instrument gets their share of attention. But the UM Pro 30s provide energy where the W4Rs lack, and the W4Rs provide that laid back, pleasant listen when you're not exactly trying to get an adrenaline rush each time you listen to music.

 

I'd like to put it out there that it really becomes a matter of preference on what feel you'd like your music to have and the music genres you listen to, but you can't go wrong going either way because they seem to complement each other more than compete with each other.

post #564 of 644
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riesig View Post

 

Case closed, I'll probably monitor this issue "less" because I think it has something to do with my amp / deeper Windows settings.

 

I love Windows for what it's worth, but problems like this do create a huge headache. Especially when you say "deep windows settings", sounds like a long road of trial and error. Hope you get around to fixing it soon so you can get back to your iems! :)

post #565 of 644
Quote:
Originally Posted by smailbz View Post

I sold my W4R and got a UM Pro 30. What I came to realize is actually quite positive in this expensive journey of audio gear and non-stop temptation. They were both so fantastic in their own way that comparing them defeats the purpose. They just cater to different preferences of how people like their music. Just putting it out there in case anyone was too busy googling UM3x vs W4 and pulling hair over where $400 should go.

 

Where UM Pro 30s delivered that feeling like I "was there" with the intimacy, what with the way the drums decay and the vocals sound as if the singer was right there,  the W4Rs gave me that grand feeling (especially for classical) like as if you came down to a concert hall to watch them play. I do miss that feeling and the flat signature that makes sure every instrument gets their share of attention. But the UM Pro 30s provide energy where the W4Rs lack, and the W4Rs provide that laid back, pleasant listen when you're not exactly trying to get an adrenaline rush each time you listen to music.

 

I'd like to put it out there that it really becomes a matter of preference on what feel you'd like your music to have and the music genres you listen to, but you can't go wrong going either way because they seem to complement each other more than compete with each other.


Thanks for this. Very helpful.

Would you say the UM Pro 30 is much more comfortable to wear than the W4R due to its tubby shell?

Since I am not really the classical type of listener, I think the UM Pro 30 suits me.

What I need to see/hear is the W40 and UM Pro 30 to personally experience them.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk
post #566 of 644
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnel0918 View Post


Thanks for this. Very helpful.

Would you say the UM Pro 30 is much more comfortable to wear than the W4R due to its tubby shell?

Since I am not really the classical type of listener, I think the UM Pro 30 suits me.

What I need to see/hear is the W40 and UM Pro 30 to personally experience them.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

 

I wouldn't exactly say "much more comfortable". The tubby shell has a smooth plastic finish and is rounded in shape which is pretty comfortable in itself. If you're planning to sleep with IEMs on the UM Pro 30 would be comfortable due to its flatter profile, but the W4R would have more of a "sit on the ear" feeling. Comfort wise both are certainly much better than Shure Se535 in my opinion. However! The new series has a more comfortable (even if slightly less reliable) wire compared to the W4R as W4R uses memory wire which can be quite a bother.

 

Oh and don't get me wrong, it's not that the W4R only can do classical, it's more that they do classical best. This would even include soundtracks or orchestral music if you have any. But if say I listened to some jazz, the difference would be like listening to them from one of the seats in the audience with the W4R or being in the studio recording with the artist when it comes to the UM Pro 30. Both would sound great, it depends how you'd like to hear good ol' Nat King Cole. But if say you listen to rock, clearly being front row with the UM Pro 30 would deliver a greater adrenaline rush than if you were sitting down in a concert hall.

 

Being in the audience you clearly get a laid back listen which is very pleasant and calming. But if you were in the studio you'd get to hear the little nuances you'd probably miss if you were a little further back. This stands out the most particularly with vocals or drums when it comes to the UM Pro 30. Like if the artist tried to push a half octave too high you'd clearly hear that she's straining. You also get the "live drum set" feel whenever you hear the drums.

 

For a more general perspective, W4R has a versatility to it that makes it pleasing for every genre, but doesn't top it off in some genres while UM Pro 30 either does it great or does it not so great.

It's like if I took a multi-genre sample of songs and gave the iem's performance in points, the W4R would have less deviation in terms of points, it does well with everything. But the UM Pro 30 would have a wider deviation, but a higher min/max compared to the W4R. If you take it all and maybe average it out, you'd find they're almost similar. They become less similar when you get specific to a particular genre that may allow one IEM to do better. :)

 

If you have a chance to audition do try both! But if I may add something a little irrelevant I do find the W4R nicer looking than the W40.

post #567 of 644

The UM Pro30 are definitely very comfortable IEM's. slept with them in whilst camping for 2 nights no sore ears or anything (using comply tips though)

post #568 of 644
Same here... UM Pro 50 with standard tips, used them continuously on a 12 hour flight... Very comfortable...
post #569 of 644
Quote:
Originally Posted by smaragd View Post

Same here... UM Pro 50 with standard tips, used them continuously on a 12 hour flight... Very comfortable...
I listened to the UM50 and the best thing about it was the comfort. They are light, and comfortable...an easy fit right out of the box. But because this is supposed to be one of Westones top products, I expected better sound. Maybe it was their "house sound" that didn't appeal to me. It was the first Westone I'd heard. Technically it had good detail & dynamics, but something about its overall tone seemed artificial, sort of like listening to a record instead of a band. There wasn't really a sense of the recording/performance space in the music. I'm only mentioning it because some have suggested its like the ES5, which I haven't heard but is well regarded by some. UM50 at about $700 seemed overpriced to me. The design is rather plain too. But still, it's probably the most comfortable universal IEM I've worn.
post #570 of 644
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyInnerEar View Post


I listened to the UM50 and the best thing about it was the comfort. They are light, and comfortable...an easy fit right out of the box. But because this is supposed to be one of Westones top products, I expected better sound. Maybe it was their "house sound" that didn't appeal to me. It was the first Westone I'd heard. Technically it had good detail & dynamics, but something about its overall tone seemed artificial, sort of like listening to a record instead of a band. There wasn't really a sense of the recording/performance space in the music. I'm only mentioning it because some have suggested its like the ES5, which I haven't heard but is well regarded by some. UM50 at about $700 seemed overpriced to me. The design is rather plain too. But still, it's probably the most comfortable universal IEM I've worn.

 

i m going to have to say this again but the um pro 50 sounded nothing like the es5. :/ 

the bass on umpro50 is all over the place .. its really weird


Edited by mkps2 - 5/20/14 at 3:40am
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Westone UM PRO Series Thread