or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Westone UM PRO Series Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Westone UM PRO Series Thread - Page 34

post #496 of 2059
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarurururu View Post
 

True, exactly how I feel.

 

Finally got the reply from Westone and sounds like they'll arrange a refund. They also claim will look at the defected unit, yeah right:rolleyes:, should have done this long before the whole product line was launched to the market.

 

Here comes my question to all members, any alternative recommendation (other than Westone) for AB or hybrid universal fit around the same price range of UM 50? I am a bit interested in UE900s (the new version), any thoughts about that? Thank you guys.

Not exact same price, at $899 + free shipping you can get Shure SE846. I did it, no regrets. 

post #497 of 2059

Thanks bro, but that's a bit over budget, wish I could, cause I quite like the built and look of 846 as well:o 

post #498 of 2059
As I mentioned in my earlier post, I replaced my um3x with the UE900s, been using them for a week now, very happy with them. They are slightly bass light compared to the UM3x, but better clarity and soundstage, really great for vocals. But if you want the sound signature of the UM Pro 50, I really don't know what to suggest, to me they are more like the IE8, or try the audio technica IM04 or the Sony XBA-H3, they have quite good bass quality and cost less than the SE846.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarurururu View Post

True, exactly how I feel.

Finally got the reply from Westone and sounds like they'll arrange a refund. They also claim will look at the defected unit, yeah right:rolleyes: , should have done this long before the whole product line was launched to the market.

Here comes my question to all members, any alternative recommendation (other than Westone) for AB or hybrid universal fit around the same price range of UM 50? I am a bit interested in UE900s (the new version), any thoughts about that? Thank you guys.
post #499 of 2059
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarurururu View Post

Thanks bro, but that's a bit over budget, wish I could, cause I quite like the built and look of 846 as well:o  
You can try out the ASG2 or ASG2.5
post #500 of 2059
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danz03 View Post

As I mentioned in my earlier post, I replaced my um3x with the UE900s, been using them for a week now, very happy with them. They are slightly bass light compared to the UM3x, but better clarity and soundstage, really great for vocals. But if you want the sound signature of the UM Pro 50, I really don't know what to suggest, to me they are more like the IE8, or try the audio technica IM04 or the Sony XBA-H3, they have quite good bass quality and cost less than the SE846.

Hey Danz, thx for the recommendation, may I ask you more about the UE900s (cause more than likely I'll get either the 900s or ASG2.5)?

 

Any idea how would the new 900s compare to the good old UE tf10, as you've mentioned it's slightly light in bass, but I thought UE said the opposite on their web as the 900s has a newly design bass tube and new orientated drivers (plus there're 2 drivers for low frequency).

 

In addition, can you describe a bit more about the ATH IM04 please as you've tried them? Thanks.


Edited by Sarurururu - 5/7/14 at 11:11pm
post #501 of 2059
Quote:
Originally Posted by xaddictionx View Post


You can try out the ASG2 or ASG2.5

Hey xaddictionx, if I remember correctly, you have the ASG2 right? It's relatively difficult to find info about the new ASG2.5, not even on their official website. Any idea what's the difference between 2 & 2.5 plus how could you tell whether it's 2 or 2.5 because I found one of the HeadFi member is selling his 2.5:confused: at quite a tempting price... Cheers mate.

post #502 of 2059
It has a lot more bass compared to the original UE900, but probably just a little less than the UM3x, but to me the Pro 50 is a bass monster and have just too much of it, which I don't like much. The UE900s are very balanced sounding like the UM3x, maybe the extra clarity and soundstage made me think they have slightly less bass. Don't get me wrong, they are not bass light at all, just a little lighter maybe compared to the UM3x, probably it can be altered with different tips. I would totally recommend them if you love the UM3x sound signature, like me. I've never owned the TF10 because for some reason I thought they sounded very lifeless when I demoed them before.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarurururu View Post

Hey Danz, thx for the recommendation, may I ask you more about the UE900s (cause more than likely I'll get either the 900s or ASG2.5)?

Any idea how would the new 900s compare to the good old UE tf10, as you've mentioned it's slightly light in bass, but I thought UE said the opposite on their web as the 900s has a newly design bass tube and new orientated drivers (plus there're 2 drivers for low frequency). Thanks.
post #503 of 2059
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarurururu View Post

Hey xaddictionx, if I remember correctly, you have the ASG2 right? It's relatively difficult to find info about the new ASG2.5, not even on their official website. Any idea what's the difference between 2 & 2.5 plus how could you tell whether it's 2 or 2.5 because I found one of the HeadFi member is selling his 2.5:confused:  at quite a tempting price... Cheers mate.
Hi there!

Yup i do have the ASG2. You can refer to the main ASG2 thread for more information and updates on the new ASG2.5.

From what I gathered, the ASG2.5 will be officially announced either this month or next month. Probably Aurisonics are tied up with their rockets! Haha. But the main difference should be that the ASG2.5 comes only in stealth version now. Probably that's one of the ways to differentiate them though ASG2 does come in both frost and stealth version as well.

Sound wise, probably will have to wait for awhile more. But eke did mention that he'll be receiving his ASG2.5 in the next 2 weeks or so. You can wait for his impressions! smily_headphones1.gif

I had a chance to listen to UM Pro 50 side by side with W4R on silver dragon and ASG2 with Fiio SPC. IMO, i preferred both the latter to the former. ASG2 does very well in vocals. Lows are sweet as well (bass port nearly closed) but could be tuned more towards sub bass. Much anticipations on the ASG2.5 will be towards a more sub bass approach and more prominent treble. If that's the case, it may be a very well contender.
post #504 of 2059
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danz03 View Post

It has a lot more bass compared to the original UE900, but probably just a little less than the UM3x, but to me the Pro 50 is a bass monster and have just too much of it, which I don't like much. The UE900s are very balanced sounding like the UM3x, maybe the extra clarity and soundstage made me think they have slightly less bass. Don't get me wrong, they are not bass light at all, just a little lighter maybe compared to the UM3x, probably it can be altered with different tips. I would totally recommend them if you love the UM3x sound signature, like me. I've never owned the TF10 because for some reason I thought they sounded very lifeless when I demoed them before.

Thx for the prompt reply, glad to hear the 900s is not bass light at all. I quite like my TF10 but I just wanna to have a bit more slam on the low end.

 

The bass of the UM 50 I think the problem is they push it too hard, trying to fit everything into a tiny crappy housing, and that cause the congestion of the tone/bass. Actually on my faulty pair of UM 50, the cracked side sounds more natural and open than the normal side and not as blurry as the first faulty pair:D, may be Westone should think about venting the shell like other brands do:rolleyes:

 

BTW, how's the IM04 sounds? Thanks.

post #505 of 2059
The IM04 has quite balanced sound too but a bit dull sounding without much clarity, a bit like the Pro50 with less bass, I didn't think they are worth the asking price personally. I was going to get the Sony XBA-H3, but they were out of stock, the bass is very deep sounding, the only thing I didn't like about them was the slightly harsh treble, maybe it will smoothen out after some burn in. But honestly, it does sound to me SE846 are what you really want.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarurururu View Post

BTW, how's the IM04 sounds? Thanks.
post #506 of 2059

Thx again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danz03 View Post

The IM04 has quite balanced sound too but a bit dull sounding without much clarity, a bit like the Pro50 with less bass, I didn't think they are worth the asking price personally. I was going to get the Sony XBA-H3, but they were out of stock, the bass is very deep sounding, the only thing I didn't like about them was the slightly harsh treble, maybe it will smoothen out after some burn in. But honestly, it does sound to me SE846 are what you really want.

Thanks again, yeah, wish I have the cash for 846:o, previously I listened to the ATH IM70 & IM50 (dual dynamic drivers models) and wasn't impress at all even though I own few pairs of AT phones

I think my options is limited down to either UE or Aurisonics then

post #507 of 2059
Quote:
Originally Posted by xaddictionx View Post


Hi there!

Yup i do have the ASG2. You can refer to the main ASG2 thread for more information and updates on the new ASG2.5.

From what I gathered, the ASG2.5 will be officially announced either this month or next month. Probably Aurisonics are tied up with their rockets! Haha. But the main difference should be that the ASG2.5 comes only in stealth version now. Probably that's one of the ways to differentiate them though ASG2 does come in both frost and stealth version as well.

Sound wise, probably will have to wait for awhile more. But eke did mention that he'll be receiving his ASG2.5 in the next 2 weeks or so. You can wait for his impressions! smily_headphones1.gif

I had a chance to listen to UM Pro 50 side by side with W4R on silver dragon and ASG2 with Fiio SPC. IMO, i preferred both the latter to the former. ASG2 does very well in vocals. Lows are sweet as well (bass port nearly closed) but could be tuned more towards sub bass. Much anticipations on the ASG2.5 will be towards a more sub bass approach and more prominent treble. If that's the case, it may be a very well contender.

Um, very tempting of the 2.5...:popcorn: BTW, thx for the detailed explanation mate

post #508 of 2059
Have you heard the Sony XBA-H3? They are reasonably priced for the sound quality I think, especially the deep bass. But what's good about the UE900s are the clarity, soundstage and price.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarurururu View Post

I think my options is limited down to either UE or Aurisonics then
post #509 of 2059
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danz03 View Post

Have you heard the Sony XBA-H3? They are reasonably priced for the sound quality I think, especially the deep bass. But what's good about the UE900s are the clarity, soundstage and price.

After my entire adolescence with Sony, it's time for a change at my 40s':dt880smile: I've looked at Sony's website straight after your comment and I'm sure they sounds good, but you can never get rid of that characteristic commercial sound of Sony and the fitting (wearing) is just as wired as my TF10:D 


Edited by Sarurururu - 5/8/14 at 12:27am
post #510 of 2059
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarurururu View Post

Um, very tempting of the 2.5...popcorn.gif  BTW, thx for the detailed explanation mate
You're welcomed! smily_headphones1.gif Btw what are you looking for in an IEM? Mid centric with deep rumbling bass, flat and neutral, warm and non-fatiguing or bright and analytical sound?

Based on the UM Pro 50, I would label it more towards a warm, non-fatiguing with slight bass emphasis sound. The UM50 just doesn't sound right to me. The bass quantity is there but doesn't have the quality to speak of. It doesn't rumble low, not as tight and well controlled and emphasizes more on the mid bass. Clarity and separation wise I found it not even matching up to UM3X level. Not to even mention the built quality..

So if you're looking for something which is following suit of UM50 sound signature, then ASG2 is pretty much in line. With better clarity, details and upfront lush, intimate vocals. It can well pass off as a mid centric phone. But the sound isn't the main stream V shape signature like the TF10.

I have had the TF10 on two occasions and enjoyed them very much with lune cable before moving on. If you're looking in the direction of a V shaped sound signature, another hybrid down your path may be the T-Peos H300. Closing in at USD320 it packs a punch. Bass is easily one of the best. Clearly beating out both ASG2 and UM50. It has got such deep rumble with very well controlled tight bass. Bass texture is top notch as well. Vocals ain't as upfront as ASG2 but isn't recessed like TF10. It simply sits where it's meant to be. Treble extension is pretty impressive. Much more linear than TF10. But what it doesn't do so well is a possible irritable treble spike at ~8-9KHz region. Other than that it's superb and impressive at its price point.

I have heard the SE846 as well. But isn't my cup of tea, so can't comment much on them. But it seems overpriced to me. To me the 846 sounds like 535LTD on bass boost. Sorry about that. Probably I'm not a Shure house sound person.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Westone UM PRO Series Thread