Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Westone UM PRO Series Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Westone UM PRO Series Thread - Page 21

post #301 of 816
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRCMRGN View Post

Just got the UM50 and the left earpiece was DOA. Bummer!

Sent from my KFAPWI using Tapatalk HD


Wow. I was considering getting the UM 50s, since my UM3X has a loose component in the right earpiece and I'm sending them back for warranty, but after seeing this post I'm reconsidering.

post #302 of 816

Could be a one-off event.

 

As far as I know, Westone's customer service is excellent and there is nothing to be worried about.

post #303 of 816

Any idea how the UM Pro 50s do for heavy metal music?

 

I like how the UM3Xs sounded over the W4s, but I haven't really seen that many reviews on the UM Pro 50s.


Edited by GamaH - 3/1/14 at 7:52pm
post #304 of 816
Quote:
Originally Posted by GamaH View Post
 

Any idea how the UM Pro 50s do for heavy metal music?

 

I like how the UM3Xs sounded over the W4s, but I haven't really seen that many reviews on the UM Pro 50s.

 

I don't listen to heavy metal myself so I can't really give an opinion as to whether the UM Pro 50 is good for that genre or not.

 

Need an opinion from another UM Pro 50 owner out there...

post #305 of 816

What's the verdict on the new MMXC connectors?
 

I've had a lot of problems with the Shure SE535's connectors (went through two sets of earphones; changed cables multiple times but problem turned out to be with the earpiece end of the connection). The sound kept cutting out.


Edited by GamaH - 3/2/14 at 12:39am
post #306 of 816
Quote:
Originally Posted by GamaH View Post
 

What's the verdict on the new MMXC connectors?
 

I've had a lot of problems with the Shure SE535's connectors (went through two sets of earphones; changed cables multiple times but problem turned out to be with the earpiece end of the connection). The sound kept cutting out.

 

I think that the WX0 series and UM Pro series have been released for a while by now and we haven't see any case of broken connectors (or I missed them).

 

Both the earpiece and the cable are extremely well made so only time will tell if they suffer the same problem as that of the Shure.

 

I had the Shure Se215LTD, SE535LTD and SE846 before and I really like how well the Westone is made (both the earpiece and the cable). The Shure feels to me that they will break easily but not the Westone.

post #307 of 816

How is Westone's warranty regarding problems that are hard to replicate?

For example, if I have a problem with the earpiece that tends to happen when I'm walking or in motion, but not when stationary (thus, odds are the issue might not surface during testing), and I send it in for repairs, will they do anything?

post #308 of 816
Quote:
Originally Posted by leiweiyen View Post
 


Congrats! Can't wait to hear your impressions. Sorry for your wallet though :p

UM50s seem perfect for me but I can't justify upgrading from my UM2s right now

So i got them in late on Friday, i'll give a run down of my impression.  I guess if anything, you can call this a quick comparison to the um pro 30 (um3x), which i also own.

 

 

 

 

First off, they look and feel identical to the um pro 30...in fact they may even be a bit lighter.  I don't know if i would call it a "cheap" build, but they definitely don't feel as solid as previous entries in the Westone lineup (4r/um3x..etc).  Shure construction from my previous 535/425 is hands down better, those things are built like tanks in comparison.  Mine didn't have any defects, or any type of glue showing either as one other poster mentioned...unfortunately there are just lemons from time to time, luckily that wasn't the case with these.  Comfort level is also identical to the UM pro 30...these feel almost perfect to me.  Nothing about them says too tight or too lose, yet they have an amazing seal.  I use the black foam star tips and get great isolation.  Stock cable is extremely flexible and i love the little section of memory wire that goes around the ear.  

 

On to the sound - first thing i noticed is the sound stage was much wider than the 30's.  I didn't have that enclosed feeling by any means, it definitely felt way more open.  One thing these kept that i know a lot of people questioned was the bass impact.  Still as good as the 30's in every aspect, but it doesn't drown anything out.  What really stood out now is how much more defined the drums and guitar are.  It was a bit subtle at first, but upon a good hour of listening and a/b'ing the 30's & 50's, it is definitely apparent.  Drums are crystal clear, some tracks (for example Battle Born, by the Killers) i almost have a sensation i'm sitting right in front of the drum set.  Cymbals/crashes sound absolutely insane!  Vocals are also pronounced more, not dramatically...but it's noticable.  The only thing i can think of the 30's still have a slight edge is the instrument separation.  Though the 50's still have clear separation - you can still hear them more fluently in the 30's...but then again that's really what those have always been known for.

 

Overall, i'm very pleased. I would say, at least for me, this was a justifiable upgrade over the 30's.  I also plan on getting a higher end cable to try these out with as well.  All in all i'm a happy camper.  I now have my um pro 30's listed on the for sale forum to help fund this purchase.  The um pro 30's are still an amazing iem, but the 50's are just hit on everything i felt needed improved upon.


Edited by Superdrag81 - 3/2/14 at 1:32pm
post #309 of 816
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superdrag81 View Post
 

So i got them in late on Friday, i'll give a run down of my impression.  I guess if anything, you can call this a quick comparison to the um pro 30 (um3x), which i also own.

 

 

 

 

First off, they look and feel identical to the um pro 30...in fact they may even be a bit lighter.  I don't know if i would call it a "cheap" build, but they definitely don't feel as solid as previous entries in the Westone lineup (4r/um3x..etc).  Shure construction from my previous 535/425 is hands down better, those things are built like tanks in comparison.

 

The Shures may appear to be built like tanks but they had problems with the connector and shorting out.  I found the SE535 much less comfy than the Westones as well.  The Westones being lighter is a good thing.  Have yet to hear of even 1 complaint on the Westone connector which tells me they learned and improved upon what Shure did.

 

I would love to hear the UM50 but for people that are passing by and browsing head-fi...need to understand it was designed as an on stage monitor so it will purposely sound different than the W-series....W-series being more open and musical.  Just saying....

post #310 of 816
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyro View Post

I would love to hear the UM50 but for people that are passing by and browsing head-fi...need to understand it was designed as an on stage monitor so it will purposely sound different than the W-series....W-series being more open and musical.  Just saying....
Agree. Those looking at the UM series will really need to remember it's meant for stage monitoring and it's really a type of an acquired sound. Meant to be intimate with strong emphasis on low end and vocals.

Spyro for you will the W40 be a definite upgrade over the shures?
post #311 of 816
Quote:
Originally Posted by xaddictionx View Post


Agree. Those looking at the UM series will really need to remember it's meant for stage monitoring and it's really a type of an acquired sound. Meant to be intimate with strong emphasis on low end and vocals.

Spyro for you will the W40 be a definite upgrade over the shures?

Absolutely.   While the overall signature of SE535 may seem brighter (mainly due to upper midrange spike) the W40 treble extends quite a bit more as one indisputable upgrade.  While both midranges are great, I prefer W40 for being not quite as forward but more transparent.  Bass is a much closer call.  Gonna call it about a draw.  W40 generally less fatiguing...maybe the least fatiguing yet most detailed IEM I have ever heard.

post #312 of 816
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyro View Post

Absolutely.   While the overall signature of SE535 may seem brighter (mainly due to upper midrange spike) the W40 treble extends quite a bit more as one indisputable upgrade.  While both midranges are great, I prefer W40 for being not quite as forward but more transparent.  Bass is a much closer call.  Gonna call it about a draw.  W40 generally less fatiguing...maybe the least fatiguing yet most detailed IEM I have ever heard.
Thanks for your inputs! Came from 4R as well. Was thinking if the W40 or W60 will be in line with my preference. Tried the UM50 but didn't like the stage monitoring type of sound. else it's an upgrade over UM3X for sure. I see that you had the RE272. Any inputs? smily_headphones1.gif Am considering that too haha.
post #313 of 816
Thread Starter 
Thread updated with inputs by Superdrag81! popcorn.gif
post #314 of 816
RE272 only kept a few days. Did not like at all. Really detailed in upper registers and on the bright side but no bass. Makes ER4 sound like a bass cannon. Build quality seemed really cheap and I had a hard time with the form factor in achieving a good seal which might have had something to do with the poor bass. It just wasn't for me....
Edited by Spyro - 3/2/14 at 6:55pm
post #315 of 816
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superdrag81 View Post
 

Overall, i'm very pleased. I would say, at least for me, this was a justifiable upgrade over the 30's.  I also plan on getting a higher end cable to try these out with as well.  All in all i'm a happy camper.  I now have my um pro 30's listed on the for sale forum to help fund this purchase.  The um pro 30's are still an amazing iem, but the 50's are just hit on everything i felt needed improved upon.

 

Awesome. I suppose it's time to pick em up.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Westone UM PRO Series Thread