or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Westone UM PRO Series Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Westone UM PRO Series Thread - Page 114

post #1696 of 1805
The UM-Pro50 should give you sub bass when you've figured out which sleeves give you the best seal.
Give them some time run in and you'll be surprised how much sub bass you get out of them. Alternatively you can swap the stock cable for a higher grade one but stay away from pure silver (too thin and not enough bass) or silver plated copper (tend to introduce harshness). Stay with full copper or silver+gold alloy cables.
post #1697 of 1805
Quote:
Originally Posted by smaragd View Post

The UM-Pro50 should give you sub bass when you've figured out which sleeves give you the best seal.
Give them some time run in and you'll be surprised how much sub bass you get out of them. Alternatively you can swap the stock cable for a higher grade one but stay away from pure silver (too thin and not enough bass) or silver plated copper (tend to introduce harshness). Stay with full copper or silver+gold alloy cables.

I disagree. I enjoyed pure silver with my Pro 50 when I owned them. I would say they paired extremely well with them. Just don't go SPC, as I have yet to hear one that sounded good with the Pro 50 or even my W60s.
post #1698 of 1805
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurashieruro View Post


I disagree. I enjoyed pure silver with my Pro 50 when I owned them. I would say they paired extremely well with them. Just don't go SPC, as I have yet to hear one that sounded good with the Pro 50 or even my W60s.


I'd like chime in and add that I bought Gurashieruro's UM Pro 50's with the pure silver cable. I got a warranty replacement pair of UM Pro 50s in December, and kept the stock cable on until last week (late January). When I put on the pure silver cable, I fell in love with the headphones all over again. A veil over the treble was lifted, mids because more punchy, and bass became more thick and full. Not a single complaint about thinness or not enough bass. I also put the long tipped sleeves on, and that also made a huge difference. I used to use the small shallow (green) earpieces, or the small foam ones (green), but I am now using the longer tips, and it allows for an even better seal than I imagined. Wider soundstage, and much more detail. 

post #1699 of 1805
Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewshoquist View Post
 


I'd like chime in and add that I bought Gurashieruro's UM Pro 50's with the pure silver cable. I got a warranty replacement pair of UM Pro 50s in December, and kept the stock cable on until last week (late January). When I put on the pure silver cable, I fell in love with the headphones all over again. A veil over the treble was lifted, mids because more punchy, and bass became more thick and full. Not a single complaint about thinness or not enough bass. I also put the long tipped sleeves on, and that also made a huge difference. I used to use the small shallow (green) earpieces, or the small foam ones (green), but I am now using the longer tips, and it allows for an even better seal than I imagined. Wider soundstage, and much more detail. 

Hey its been a while Matt. Glad you are enjoying the Pro 50s. Hope the replacement was better.

post #1700 of 1805

Been kicking the idea of getting some new earphones.  Kinda getting a "ToTL-purchase-itch".  

 

I've been using the ATH-IM02, ER4, and some other mid-fi earphones. I really like the way the ER4 sounds.  That said, I would like to give something else a shot.  Perhaps something with a little more bass response.  I listen to a ton of genres, but I'd say there is a good amount of time spent between 1980's pop and Bossa Nova Jazz (weird...I know right?). 

 

Tried the Sony Z5 in the past, had a blast.  Albeit the Z5 did strike me as being darker but nonetheless there is something about the earphone's musicality that really hit a spot.  I've heard some good things about Noble, but there seems to be a fair share of hype, so I'm not too sure yet. But the N4 or N5 are interesting nonetheless.  Last but not least, there's the UM Pro 50, W60, and the Shure 846.

 

I'll be heading down to the store soon to give all of these a listen.  But I'd love to hear what you guys have to say/ think.  If there's any other comparisons you'd like to hear I'll be sure to take note when I do the audition.

post #1701 of 1805

Can't contribute to comparisons with other TOTL iems like W60 and Shure se846, because UM Pro 50 is my first venture in the high end headphones. I own a pair of se215. And what I can tell you is that UM Pro 50 is a clear upgrade in every way.

I'm not an expert so can't give you specifics, but sound-wise it's really great. Voices are so clear and the lows have so much more finesse. Soundstage is much wider. The only thing se215 comes close in is the lack of harshness. But that doesn't matter since my shures are much less comfortable than UM Pro 50, so you can't listen to them for long periods. They are just too big and the design itself wouldn't permit them to be as comfy as the westones even if they were smaller, in my opinion. I was completely blown away by how comfortable UM Pro 50 is! That both for the outer ear and the inner cannel with silicone tips. I didn't know that it was possible for universal iems to be this easy to wear and forget they're even on. They are also much easier to put on and take off as a result, which is also partially owing to the cable that come with them.

 

Sorry that I can't draw comparisons to the ones you mentioned or at least with iems in the category you have been listening to. I can't tell you that you'll be as amazed with the sound as I was, seeing that you're coming from mid-end iems. I do believe though that if you go with UM Pro 50 you'll find them much more fitting and comfortable than anything you've ever owned. Also after reading the reviews, it looks like UM Pro 50 and W60 are very similar in sound quality, but the former is cheaper by more than 300 bucks. Although you don't get those fancy faceplates and extra cable of W60, I find the UM Pro 50 a better value for the money, if the sound signature is indeed similar as the reviews suggest. 

post #1702 of 1805
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loken View Post
 

Can't contribute to comparisons with other TOTL iems like W60 and Shure se846, because UM Pro 50 is my first venture in the high end headphones. I own a pair of se215. And what I can tell you is that UM Pro 50 is a clear upgrade in every way.

I'm not an expert so can't give you specifics, but sound-wise it's really great. Voices are so clear and the lows have so much more finesse. Soundstage is much wider. The only thing se215 comes close in is the lack of harshness. But that doesn't matter since my shures are much less comfortable than UM Pro 50, so you can't listen to them for long periods. They are just too big and the design itself wouldn't permit them to be as comfy as the westones even if they were smaller, in my opinion. I was completely blown away by how comfortable UM Pro 50 is! That both for the outer ear and the inner cannel with silicone tips. I didn't know that it was possible for universal iems to be this easy to wear and forget they're even on. They are also much easier to put on and take off as a result, which is also partially owing to the cable that come with them.

 

Sorry that I can't draw comparisons to the ones you mentioned or at least with iems in the category you have been listening to. I can't tell you that you'll be as amazed with the sound as I was, seeing that you're coming from mid-end iems. I do believe though that if you go with UM Pro 50 you'll find them much more fitting and comfortable than anything you've ever owned. Also after reading the reviews, it looks like UM Pro 50 and W60 are very similar in sound quality, but the former is cheaper by more than 300 bucks. Although you don't get those fancy faceplates and extra cable of W60, I find the UM Pro 50 a better value for the money, if the sound signature is indeed similar as the reviews suggest. 


You pretty much nailed it.   I liked the UMpro 50's enough to buy them twice.

post #1703 of 1805
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loken View Post
 

Can't contribute to comparisons with other TOTL iems like W60 and Shure se846, because UM Pro 50 is my first venture in the high end headphones. I own a pair of se215. And what I can tell you is that UM Pro 50 is a clear upgrade in every way...


Thanks bro for the advice - always appreciated.  Very happy to hear that you're enjoying it.  I hope to be able to find earphones that'll make me feel that satisfied soon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shultzee View Post
 


You pretty much nailed it.   I liked the UMpro 50's enough to buy them twice.

Alright!  But I've heard some horror stories about the build quality of the UM Pro 50's. Scares me a little.  It's 2016 - are we in the clear for the MMCX problems yet?

post #1704 of 1805
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatonenoob View Post
 

 

Alright!  But I've heard some horror stories about the build quality of the UM Pro 50's. Scares me a little.  It's 2016 - are we in the clear for the MMCX problems yet?

All I know is that the outer package of my um pro 50 looks different than the other (older?) um pro 50's I've seen on the internet. The image of that performer is on the front instead of on the side and the monitor vault on the other side is not colored. Also it's not a box that you'd open, but an outer cover that you can slide the main box out up or down. It's like the um pro 30 in design and appearance, but with golden colors and of course the specifications of a different product: the um pro 50.

 

Although it might not mean much or anything at all, I hope this is an indication they refreshed the product and improved the connectors of an otherwise flawless product. I've heard those horror stories too before buying, but I was just hoping they'd have fixed it, that it was simply a bad batch in the beginning. 2 years have passed since its release, so maybe there is nothing to fear. The price and the reviews were just too tempting for me :)

post #1705 of 1805
I think I have at last nailed it with my pro 50: dx90 + 2.3.0 software + high gain = pure sonic enjoyment 😃 That tight controlled bass, beefy drums attack, not to mention crisp clarity and spaciousness, oh boy 😆
post #1706 of 1805
Anyone care to comment on the sound of UM60 compared to the Noble 6, JH Pro 13, or the JH Angie/Layla line. I'm thinking about getting the ES60 from Westone. I can get everything for $780 through work. I don't want to get it just because it's a good deal. I really just want one CIEM and be done with it.

I guess a lot of threads in the forum feels the UM50 sound even better than the W60, maybe the ES50 is the way to go.
Edited by gordec - 2/16/16 at 1:22pm
post #1707 of 1805
I'm interested in the above comment as well. Also what are the difference between es50 and es60? And what are the turnaround time like for westone these days?
post #1708 of 1805
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruihu908 View Post

I'm interested in the above comment as well. Also what are the difference between es50 and es60? And what are the turnaround time like for westone these days?

Their turn around is about 4 weeks. I just called.
post #1709 of 1805

I just got a silver cable from Headphone Lounge to go with my UM Pro 50. You can look in the HL thread for a picture. I don't know for sure yet if there is a difference in sound, but it certainly isn't doing anything wrong...

post #1710 of 1805
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruihu908 View Post

I'm interested in the above comment as well. Also what are the difference between es50 and es60? And what are the turnaround time like for westone these days?

I just ordered a pair of ES60 thorough work. I think until you get a custom pair, you are not going to know how they sound. Will give some updates once I get them. Not many people have these. That's the problem, but at $800 I don't think you can find a cheaper pair of 6 driver CIEMs.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Westone UM PRO Series Thread