Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Westone UM PRO Series Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Westone UM PRO Series Thread - Page 9

post #121 of 695
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyro View Post
 

I think Westone and Shure missed the boat.

 

I have not heard the 846 and I like the direction of going to a BIGGER sound versus UE900 and W4 going to a smaller sound but I think $1000 is too big a jump from $399 SE535.

 

I have real strong feelings about W3 and I think many here don't understand how ground-breaking it was when it was released with the 3-way crossover.  It was the first universal with a BIG FULL HEAVY sound with amazing clarity and detail at the same time.  No ther IEM could do that.  I DO think that with silicone tips it does not sound right.  Somewhat siblant, somewhat non-cohesive and a sucked out midrange.  But I am blown away with P-series comply tips.  I find midrange and vocals fantastic.  I use a treble EQ boost and nothing more.  Even unamped it's amazing with any music.

 

Having said that I think the next "improvement" with Westone is EITHER:

 

W4:  Give it a fuller sound with better overall clarity.

 

W3:  Tame down the mid-bass, leave sub-bass as is.  Push midrange 10-15% more forward.

 

Price it at $599 list .....$450-$550 on the market.

 

As a side note.....I find it ironic the SE535 does NOT have a midrange driver....yet it's midrange is so forward and present (too much for many folks).  Where W3 DOES have a dedicated midrange driver yet it's not very effective with silicone tips.  Just shows how important tuning drivers is.

i too find that a interesting point.

post #122 of 695
Quote:
Originally Posted by NetOnion View Post
 

how's the um pro 10 compared to gr07?

GR07 is better imo. Maybe slightly better mids on UM10 but the treble is really bad. GR07 is better overall.

post #123 of 695
Sorry for asking, is the um pro series has the same driver as old um series? Also the new w series, does it has the same driver of the old w series? are these new product just old product with new mmcx only?
post #124 of 695
Quote:
Originally Posted by the fool View Post

Sorry for asking, is the um pro series has the same driver as old um series? Also the new w series, does it has the same driver of the old w series? are these new product just old product with new mmcx only?


from what i heard so far on this thread, the drivers are the same/similar, but i might be wrong so yeah

post #125 of 695
Quote:
Originally Posted by the fool View Post

Sorry for asking, is the um pro series has the same driver as old um series? Also the new w series, does it has the same driver of the old w series? are these new product just old product with new mmcx only?


Everyone seems to think so as well, including myself. We are all treading lightly on this one...

Waiting to see more people give impressions but I'm not holding my breath, my W4R keeps me happy enough

post #126 of 695
I have the me UM30 Pro's - but my previous Westone experience was with the W2's. No comparison.

I really love what I'm hearing so far. I don't play live anymore, but if I did - the Um30's are very accurate when representing the stage. I was listening to a nice lossless version of Dire Straits first album last night - the live tracks we just perfect. Everything in it's place, detailed and accurate. I like my music like that most of the time - if I want to add more soundstage and color, I listen with Senn IE80's... But the Um's are so much more revealing and appealling to my ears.
post #127 of 695
Quote:
Originally Posted by kookoo View Post


Everyone seems to think so as well, including myself. We are all treading lightly on this one...
Waiting to see more people give impressions but I'm not holding my breath, my W4R keeps me happy enough

Exactly its like trying to improve on the wheel. I understand westones want to recreate a product. But I dont find much if anything to be a improvement over the current series.

If they wanted create a new product thsts whay they should have done. Not just recreate a already great product.

Just my opinion
post #128 of 695

What astounds me is that for a company like Westone there has been little fanfare about this, also from the consumer's side it's been out a couple of weeks and this thread has been meh.

Proceed with caution

post #129 of 695
Quote:
Originally Posted by kookoo View Post

What astounds me is that for a company like Westone there has been little fanfare about this, also from the consumer's side it's been out a couple of weeks and this thread has been meh.
Proceed with caution

Eh maybe it will pick up after they completely phase out the older line forcing people to either outsource older style or forced to buy the new style.
post #130 of 695
Quote:
Originally Posted by kookoo View Post

What astounds me is that for a company like Westone there has been little fanfare about this, also from the consumer's side it's been out a couple of weeks and this thread has been meh.



Proceed with caution


 



At this level, few are interested in cosmetic changes. It's about the sound and since no sound changes were made there is no interest. These have been out over 5 years now.
post #131 of 695
Quote:
Originally Posted by kookoo View Post
 

What astounds me is that for a company like Westone there has been little fanfare about this, also from the consumer's side it's been out a couple of weeks and this thread has been meh.

Proceed with caution

 

To me, a new same product gives me the opportunity to buy USD299 W4Rs. I'm glad.

post #132 of 695
Quote:
Originally Posted by adammax View Post
 

 

To me, a new same product gives me the opportunity to buy USD299 W4Rs. I'm glad.

 


Actually it's a really good point if one does not own a W4R already. I bought mine full price so yea at that much of a discount....

For those who already own it...meh

post #133 of 695
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooses9 View Post


Eh maybe it will pick up after they completely phase out the older line forcing people to either outsource older style or forced to buy the new style.


oh man i hope they dont do that...their single driver iems where great starters into the iem world

post #134 of 695

Let me chime in on this. I live in Thaiand and all new UM Pro series have been out for a few weeks. I tested UM3X, UM2, W4R, UM PRO 10 20 30 back to back, spent over 3 hours at the store through all kind of music and here is my conclusion.

 

1. There is virtually no difference between UM PRO30 and UM3X, in fact the 3X sounds a bit better because it was a demo unit and has gone through many hours of burn-in. It sounds brighter and more full. However, given time the UM PRO 30 would sound the same I'm sure. The signature, sound stage, bass and treble are identical to me. I couldn't tell which is which if you blindfold me/

 

2. The 3X/ Pro 30 sound better than UM2 and UM20 for rock and music with many instruments. A given I guess since it has more driver. For vocal and classical music stage monitoring, the UM2 / Pro 20 would suffice, some prefer these for vocal. For music enjoyment, I recommend 3X/ Pro 30

 

3. In the end, I like Westone 4R the most.  I guess I'm not the monitor kind of guy. Enjoy the full soundstage and a more 'fun' sound.  W4R is good for most of the genres, I especially like listening to electronic / punk with W4R. I feel I could connect and submerse myself in the music more. The  UM3X / Pro 30 are just that - a stage monitor. If you like this kind of signature, then they are ones of the best out there. 

 

So there you go, if you don't have UM3X then the UM Pro might be better if you like the aesthetic. I like the smoke grey of the Pro 30 more than clear professional look of the UM3X. Cable on the Pro 30 is a bit neater, though I don't think the new detachable plug is everyone's cup of tea. UM3X is cheaper also.

 

I would wager the new Westone 40 would be exactly the same as the W4R acoustically.  Disappointed? I think so, but with W4R and UM3X, westone already covers two archetype of IEM very well, audiophile (W4R) and stage monitor (UM3X/ Pro). Etymotic ER4 is 10 years plus now and people still adore them...


Edited by ichobi - 10/26/13 at 9:51am
post #135 of 695
Quote:
Originally Posted by ichobi View Post
 

Let me chime in on this. I live in Thaiand and all new UM Pro series have been out for a few weeks. I tested UM3X, UM2, W4R, UM PRO 10 20 30 back to back, spent over 3 hours at the store through all kind of music and here is my conclusion.

 

1. There is virtually no difference between UM PRO30 and UM3X, in fact the 3X sounds a bit better because it was a demo unit and has gone through many hours of burn-in. It sounds brighter and more full. However, given time the UM PRO 30 would sound the same I'm sure. The signature, sound stage, bass and treble are identical to me. I couldn't tell which is which if you blindfold me/

 

2. The 3X/ Pro 30 sound better than UM2 and UM20 for rock and music with many instruments. A given I guess since it has more driver. For vocal and classical music stage monitoring, the UM2 / Pro 20 would suffice, some prefer these for vocal. For music enjoyment, I recommend 3X/ Pro 30

 

3. In the end, I like Westone 4R the most.  I guess I'm not the monitor kind of guy. Enjoy the full soundstage and a more 'fun' sound.  W4R is good for most of the genres, I especially like listening to electronic / punk with W4R. I feel I could connect and submerse myself in the music more. The  UM3X / Pro 30 are just that - a stage monitor. If you like this kind of signature, then they are ones of the best out there. 

 

So there you go, if you don't have UM3X then the UM Pro might be better if you like the aesthetic. I like the smoke grey of the Pro 30 more than clear professional look of the UM3X. Cable on the Pro 30 is a bit neater, though I don't think the new detachable plug is everyone's cup of tea. UM3X is cheaper also.

 

I would wager the new Westone 40 would be exactly the same as the W4R acoustically.  Disappointed? I think so, but with W4R and UM3X, westone already covers two archetype of IEM very well, audiophile (W4R) and stage monitor (UM3X/ Pro). Etymotic ER4 is 10 years plus now and people still adore them...


I can't compare the um pro 30s to um3x but I agree that I enjoy the 4r overall when it comes to pretty much any genre of music.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Westone UM PRO Series Thread