or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Cables, Power, Tweaks, Speakers, Accessories (DBT-Free Forum) › Headphonelounge Cables - Appreciation Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Headphonelounge Cables - Appreciation Thread - Page 11  

post #151 of 182
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unfie View Post
 

 

I received my custom cable for my Westone 4R IEMs earlier today and figured I should help spread the good word. This is the picture that Ted took for me before he sent the package. It's a 4′ Neutrik 3.5mm right angle plug, silver-plated copper, with a logo shrink and black sleeve. I'm not going to claim any sonic differences, but I did end up wanting to change the EQ a little bit because something seemed different. Maybe it's because I was tired. It sounds fine, though. I was mainly going for durability with a little bit of aesthetics. Hoping to stick this into a Fiio X3 next week.

 

Ted's customer service was quick, and he helped me out with any questions that I had. The package shipped out on Tuesday and arrived today (Thursday), one day earlier than the estimated delivery date. I will recommend Ted to anyone who asks about custom cables, and I may end up getting something else from him in the future.

Nice photo. Any feeling on sound if you're not still tired? :D

post #152 of 182
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalzed View Post
 

Nice photo. Any feeling on sound if you're not still tired? :D

 

Okay, so I got a good amount of sleep last night. My impression of the cable as far as sound quality goes hasn't really changed. If there is a sound difference, I don't notice it. All of my stock cables are ruined so it's not like I can do a direct comparison. The Westone 4R itself comes pretty close to the kind of sound I'm looking for anyway. 

post #153 of 182
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unfie View Post

Okay, so I got a good amount of sleep last night. My impression of the cable as far as sound quality goes hasn't really changed. If there is a sound difference, I don't notice it. All of my stock cables are ruined so it's not like I can do a direct comparison. The Westone 4R itself comes pretty close to the kind of sound I'm looking for anyway. 

What source components are you using
post #154 of 182
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooses9 View Post


What source components are you using

I was using a Cowon J3 when I first got the cable. I just got a Fiio X3 so I'm getting used to the different sound from that. Right now, I have my EQ set to 3 on bass and left the treble at 0. 


Edited by Unfie - 11/27/13 at 3:16pm
post #155 of 182
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unfie View Post
 

I was using a Cowon J3 when I first got the cable. I just got a Fiio X3 so I'm getting used to the different sound from that. Right now, I have my EQ set to 3 on bass and left the treble at 0. 


I have an X3 too, for about 4 months now. I still find it hard to get used to. It sounds too cold, to my ears (Shure 425, RSA Tomahawk, 71B, or Shadow). My iPod Classic 5.5G/7G and iMod 5G (160GB) sound much more musical and warmer, IMO. Don't know why, as the older iPods have the same Wolfson DAC as the X3.

https://sites.google.com/site/audiomeisterssystem/audio-components/mobile-hi-end

 

Anyways, enjoy your cable!

post #156 of 182
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianMaestro View Post


I have an X3 too, for about 4 months now. I still find it hard to get used to. It sounds too cold, to my ears (Shure 425, RSA Tomahawk, 71B, or Shadow). My iPod Classic 5.5G/7G and iMod 5G (160GB) sound much more musical and warmer, IMO. Don't know why, as the older iPods have the same Wolfson DAC as the X3.
https://sites.google.com/site/audiomeisterssystem/audio-components/mobile-hi-end

Anyways, enjoy your cable!

Not to go off topic but I agree. To return to a Wolfson DAC was one of the reasons I had Ted make me a silver LOD for my iPhone 5/iPod Touch 5th because the lighting to 30 pin adapter has Wolfson DAC in it.
Edited by spook76 - 11/30/13 at 8:01am
post #157 of 182
Quote:
Originally Posted by spook76 View Post


Not to go off topic but I agree. To return to a Wolfson DAC was one of the reasons I had Ted make me a silver LOD for my iPhone 5/iPod Touch 5th because the lighting to 30 pin adapter has Wolfom DAC in it.


I didn't know that a DAC was inside a Lightning adaptor cable!! I must file that one away.

Thanks, spook!

post #158 of 182
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianMaestro View Post


I didn't know that a DAC was inside a Lightning adaptor cable!! I must file that one away.
Thanks, spook!

Yes, the LOD of the iPhone 5 or 5s and the iPod 5th is digital only output so the lightning to 30 pin has a DAC built into it hence the $30 price. Last year when it was first released upon a tear down a Wolfson DAC was discovered as part of it.

http://www.chipworks.com/en/technical-competitive-analysis/resources/blog/inside-the-apple-lightning-to-30-pin-adapter/
post #159 of 182
Quote:
Originally Posted by spook76 View Post


Yes, the LOD of the iPhone 5 or 5s and the iPod 5th is digital only output so the lightning to 30 pin has a DAC built into it hence the $30 price. Last year when it was first released upon a tear down a Wolfson DAC was discovered as part of it.

http://www.chipworks.com/en/technical-competitive-analysis/resources/blog/inside-the-apple-lightning-to-30-pin-adapter/


So in theory you can dismantle a (relatively) cheap LOD and steal the signal at the DAC chip and make your own DAC for new ipods?  There's no way they're doing the Wolfson justice in that tiny adaptor.  Sounds easier than the old ones with licensing issues, my useless idea generator is going crazy at the possibilities!

 

 

On a more relevant note my cable is now partly a gorgeous shade of green, as all copper cables I've owned before it (Jena, Whiplash and random unknown brand).  Not at the ends near the connectors which would suggest bad workmanship, but in the middle of the earsplits where it touches my face - a reaction to my sweat I guess.  Any ideas how to finish the job, especially under the earhooks?  All green would look better than part green part shiny copper...

 

For anyone reading this don't be put off, the sound and flexibility are unaffected by the cable going green - it's purely aesthetic.  If you're not a fan of green buy a cable with sheething so you can't see it if (just incase you too turn out to be copper unfriendly :bigsmile_face:)

post #160 of 182
Quote:
Originally Posted by suicidal_orange View Post
 


 Any ideas how to finish the job, especially under the earhooks?  All green would look better than part green part shiny copper...

 

For anyone reading this don't be put off, the sound and flexibility are unaffected by the cable going green - it's purely aesthetic.  If you're not a fan of green buy a cable with sheething so you can't see it if (just incase you too turn out to be copper unfriendly :bigsmile_face:)

 

If you have a small humidifier unit that produces steam, you could try placing your cable on top of the output vents to "humidify" the naked part of cable. Should go green. Detach the earpieces first :blink:

Then sit back and watch it go green.:popcorn:

post #161 of 182
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianMaestro View Post
 

 

If you have a small humidifier unit that produces steam, you could try placing your cable on top of the output vents to "humidify" the naked part of cable. Should go green. Detach the earpieces first :blink:

Then sit back and watch it go green.:popcorn:


Thanks, I don't have a humidifier but if steam is what's needed maybe I can experiment with a kettle or sauna.  I'm not putting the earpieces near either of them either!

post #162 of 182
Lol you are the only person I have heard of that actually likes the oxidation...I have a pair of shure scl5 and they are notorious for oxidizing and going green its just something I live with.
post #163 of 182
Thread Starter 
The green oxidation is a good reason to use OCC silver as it will eventually tarnish to a mature slate color. :-). Thankfully after 7 months my OCC silver cables from Ted are still bright silver.
post #164 of 182
Quote:
Originally Posted by spook76 View Post

The green oxidation is a good reason to use OCC silver as it will eventually tarnish to a mature slate color. :-). Thankfully after 7 months my OCC silver cables from Ted are still bright silver.

i had a silver plated copper that apparently liked the color green LOL not from ted it was off ebay....i dont mind my shure e5 being green kinda gives them a unique appearance.

post #165 of 182
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooses9 View Post
 

i had a silver plated copper that apparently liked the color green LOL not from ted it was off ebay....i dont mind my shure e5 being green kinda gives them a unique appearance.


I think it depends on you and your body chemistry as to what metals you oxidise - some people can't wear silver jewelery for a day without it going black while I have no problem wearing it for weeks, but I'm bad for copper :evil: 

 

The clear stock spc cable that came with the ASG1.3 was green pretty much from ear to Y split (I bought it used) - a much lighter shade than this copper one is but I liked both colours.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
This thread is locked  
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Cables, Power, Tweaks, Speakers, Accessories (DBT-Free Forum) › Headphonelounge Cables - Appreciation Thread