Choosing a headphone wisely seems to be way more complicated that I first thought. That's what brought me here, eventually.
So... hi! I'm very new in the audio-world so sadly I don't have anything to offer myself. Instead I'm jumping straight in with something I "need". Sorry for that :).
I'm "playing" military flightsimulators and ARMA 3. Not much else. At least not to the extent It should have any impact on my headphone choice. I'm using an onboard soundcard on an MSI Z77 G43 motherobard:
• Chipset integrated by Realtek® ALC892
- Flexible 8-channel audio with jack sensing
- Compliant with Azalia 1.0 Spec
THX TruStudio PRO
My headset? Lol... well...
The mic works fine, let's keep it at that :).
I cannot use a surround system with my PC, so headphones is the only option. I rarely listen to music, so anything that's better than my current headphones in that regard would be ok.
Budget is tight (having looked at some quality headphones, I have to conclude my budget is VERY tight). Let's say €100, but that's the absolute limit. Realistically speaking it's more like €75.
a) better soundquality for my games in general
b) better positional audio for use in ARMA 3
That shouldn't be too hard if you look at my startingpoint, right? Wrong... -ish...
So... what's the problem?
With this budget, what would be the smarter choice?
1) Getting a cheap soundcard (no clue how good or bad my onboard sound is) and relatively cheap headphones?
2) Or stick to the onboard sound and get a bit better headphone?
3) Go for stereo headphones and rip the mic of the old headset or go for some gaming headset (I guess option 1)?
4) USB or analog (after reading a lot online, I guess the latter one)?
Any insight would be much appreciated. And if you can tell me why you make certain choices, I would even learn from it! Please stick to the budget though. I fully realize I'll get what I'm paying for. If only.... :).
Thanks in advance. Hopefully I've given enough information. If that's not the case: I'll be away for a week starting this weekend, so in that period I won't be responding!