Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Discussions › DIY Cable Questions and Comments Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

DIY Cable Questions and Comments Thread - Page 67

post #991 of 6332
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyBleu View Post

So, I want to DIY a cable like the one that came with the DX50, except with right angled plugs.

Any ideas? And what cable would I need to use to make this happen? Cheers.

And I went right along and posted the reply in the gallery thread as well... You A BAD Influence... :tongue_smile:

 

Here is the only Right Angle Mono 3.5 I can find, it would require a little RCA to RCA IC or possibly might be able to be modified... :D

http://www.ba-electronics.com/asccustompages/products.asp?ProductID=537

 

Single conductor with a ground shield... Like some nice thin RF wire?

www.ebay.com/itm/10-feet-24-AWG-Black-Shielded-Silver-Teflon-Wire-Coax-/380765814149

 

 

:beerchug: 


Edited by TrollDragon - 12/29/13 at 11:03pm
post #992 of 6332
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrollDragon View Post
 

And I went right along and posted the reply in the gallery thread as well... You A BAD Influence... :tongue_smile:

 

Here is the only Right Angle Mono 3.5 I can find, it would require a little RCA to RCA IC or possibly might be able to be modified... :D

http://www.ba-electronics.com/asccustompages/products.asp?ProductID=537

:beerchug: 

I saw! Naughty, naughty! :evil:

 

That thing looks complicated, seeing that it is just an adapter, and I'm a novice modder (if I could even call myself a modder:) 

 

Thanks anyways! 

post #993 of 6332

I doubt you'd run into much issue at short runs, but I would recommend a true 75Ohm Coaxial cable.

 

Canare makes a range of 75Ohm Coax in different diameters. Pick the largest you feel comfortable with (generally larger is stiffer) (Note insulation OD that's the size of the diameter of the cable)

 

http://www.canare.com/ProductItemDisplay.aspx?productItemID=77

 

There shouldn't be a problem with using a TRS connector and binding the Ring and Sleeve together.

post #994 of 6332
Quote:
Originally Posted by 65535 View Post

I doubt you'd run into much issue at short runs, but I would recommend a true 75Ohm Coaxial cable.

Canare makes a range of 75Ohm Coax in different diameters. Pick the largest you feel comfortable with (generally larger is stiffer) (Note insulation OD that's the size of the diameter of the cable)

http://www.canare.com/ProductItemDisplay.aspx?productItemID=77

There shouldn't be a problem with using a TRS connector and binding the Ring and Sleeve together.

How would one bind the Ring and Sleeve together? Sorry, I'm very new to this, and if it gets too complicated I'll pay a cable maker to do it eventually. smily_headphones1.gif
post #995 of 6332
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyBleu View Post

So, I want to DIY a cable like the one that came with the DX50, except with right angled plugs.



So, I found the right angled RCA plug, but I'm having a hard time finding a quality right angled mono plug.


Any ideas? And what cable would I need to use to make this happen? Cheers.

The closets thing i could find that looked semi-decent are these http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/982181374/right_angle_3_5_mono_plug.html

 

Alternatively you could probably use an regular stereo connector and just connect one of the terminals.

 

As for the cable. You will "need" a 75Ω cable for the digital connection. You could get a ready-made short coaxial cable (like a meter or so) that looks nice with good shielding and just snip the connectors of and just use the cable. Or if you can find a well shielded 75Ω cable on its own then that would be optimal.


Edited by skalkman - 12/30/13 at 6:18am
post #996 of 6332
@Skalkman Yeah, they're not too bad. Not a fan of the plastic, but what can I do, haha.

Why is it that the 75 ohm cable is a necessity?
Edited by SkyBleu - 12/30/13 at 6:41am
post #997 of 6332
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyBleu View Post

@Skalkman Yeah, they're not too bad. Not a fan of the plastic, but what can I do, haha.

Why is it that the 75 ohm cable is a necessity?

The guys at Blue Jeans have an article on it somewhere i believe. 

 

(EDIT: Found it here "http://www.bluejeanscable.com/articles/impedance.htm")

post #998 of 6332
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyBleu View Post

So, I want to DIY a cable like the one that came with the DX50, except with right angled plugs.


So, I found the right angled RCA plug, but I'm having a hard time finding a quality right angled mono plug.


Any ideas? And what cable would I need to use to make this happen? Cheers.

 

EDIT: someone beat me to it. 

 

Wasn't able to find much but these repeats of the same product from different shops. 

 

http://www.vetco.net/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=11365

 

http://www.elliottelectronicsupply.com/right-angle-3-5mm-mono-plug.html

 

http://www.markertek.com/Connectors-Adapters/Audio-Connectors/3-5-2-5mm-Mini-Connectors/Calrad-Electronics/30-376.xhtml


Edited by Kamakahah - 12/30/13 at 10:30am
post #999 of 6332

To bind the Ring and sleeve you just connect them together with a short piece of wire or solder them together. If you can identify which part of the TRS plug makes contact with the device then you can just connect your wire to the tip and appropriate pin on the connector.

 

75Ohm is necessary because S/PDIF transmits data at high frequency in the RF band rather than low frequency like analog signals, in order to prevent the signal from attenuating in the cable a coaxial cable is used. 75Ohm is the standard for S/PDIF.

post #1000 of 6332

Hello there!

 

Going to do my first re-cable and trying it on a Sennheiser HD 419 (came with a terribly thin cable that broke easily), already ordered some cool paracord to cover it, got a neutrik 3.5mm plug but now I need an actual cable and I can't make up my mind what to pick. I looked all over the place in multiple threads but info is so scattered that I'm asking it here.

Lots of links on here are to brands like Mogami which I can not find on the sites of Dutch/EU retailers and I'm new to this...anyway got some questions;

 

1) Good retailer in EU for bulk cable?

2) Should I buy ready-made quad cable and strip that or braid a cable myself?

What are some legitimate donor cable options? I see things about ethernet cables being used....does that work?

 

Thanks in advance.

post #1001 of 6332

Mogami Mini_mini quad makes a pretty good headphone cable.

post #1002 of 6332

I am thinking about recabling a headphone using 28 AWG solid core wires. Will these wires be practically flexible enough?

 

Happy New Year everyone!

post #1003 of 6332
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMinor View Post

I am thinking about recabling a headphone using 28 AWG solid core wires. Will these wires be practically flexible enough?

Happy New Year everyone!
I wouldn't use it personally.
post #1004 of 6332
Quote:
Originally Posted by luisdent View Post


I wouldn't use it personally.

 

Because not flexible enough for daily handling (say 4' length)?

post #1005 of 6332
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMinor View Post
 

I am thinking about recabling a headphone using 28 AWG solid core wires. Will these wires be practically flexible enough?

 

Happy New Year everyone!

28awg is pretty thin. The thinnest I've used it 26awg and I feel like that is almost too thin. I would recommend 24 or 26awg wire for a cable if you're going for flexibility.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Discussions › DIY Cable Questions and Comments Thread