Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Discussions › DIY Cable Questions and Comments Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

DIY Cable Questions and Comments Thread - Page 60

post #886 of 1817

So you can do it. How do you open them up without breaking the cans? (Sorry, but i'm a total noob to headphone mods, but i'm REALLY interested).
Maybe you can give me some recommendations for mods. I just got a pair of Audio Technica ATH-A900x's and am wondering what I can do with them mod-wise.

post #887 of 1817
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZokharaFi View Post
 

So you can do it. How do you open them up without breaking the cans? (Sorry, but i'm a total noob to headphone mods, but i'm REALLY interested).
Maybe you can give me some recommendations for mods. I just got a pair of Audio Technica ATH-A900x's and am wondering what I can do with them mod-wise.


Before you start you have to understand that this is very high risk - soldering cables directly to the coil is very risky, and any mod will void the warranty.

 

The construction of each headphone is different, but generally opening up the headphone involves removing the pad (turning clock/anti clock, PULL!!), and unscrew any screws you find outside, and may involve opening it up by twisting, pulling etc, and in some cases, by force :P

 

Test with a cheap headphone first...


Edited by OneSec - 11/30/13 at 12:18am
post #888 of 1817

It's only risky if you don't know what you're doing with a soldering iron. Search the forums for mods on the A900, I'm sure there's something. At the beginning, it's always good to follow someone else's guide just to get your feet wet.

post #889 of 1817
Quote:
Originally Posted by cerealkillr View Post
 

They're single-entry.

 

Then, 3 conductor cable will give you more options. After a long search, I found the following cable, which I just received in the mail:

 

http://www.redco.com/Gepco-XB401.html

 

Only 3.7 mm (0.145 in) thick (i.e., not too thin and not too thick), soft and flexible. It has very low shield conductor resistance, which means shared grounding for L/R channels shouldn't be an issue. More information on this cable:

 

http://www.gepco.com/products/proav_cable/analog_audio/singdual_xband_F.htm

post #890 of 1817
Quote:
Originally Posted by cCasper TFG View Post
 

It's only risky if you don't know what you're doing with a soldering iron. Search the forums for mods on the A900, I'm sure there's something. At the beginning, it's always good to follow someone else's guide just to get your feet wet.

I have never done any mods before, and haven't ever used a soldering iron but I have a good one to practice with first and am an avid welder so shouldn't be too hard for me. I already tried looking up A900x mods... looks like no one has done anything with them yet (or atleast posted about it) which is why i'm asking here.

post #891 of 1817
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay_WJ View Post
 

 

Then, 3 conductor cable will give you more options. After a long search, I found the following cable, which I just received in the mail:

 

http://www.redco.com/Gepco-XB401.html

 

Only 3.7 mm (0.145 in) thick (i.e., not too thin and not too thick), soft and flexible. It has very low shield conductor resistance, which means shared grounding for L/R channels shouldn't be an issue. More information on this cable:

 

http://www.gepco.com/products/proav_cable/analog_audio/singdual_xband_F.htm

I think this is what I'm going to get. Thanks a lot, I didn't even think about needing only 3 conductors.

post #892 of 1817

Sorry if this has been asked a million times but for mogami w2893 what type of paracord works best just directly fitting over it?

I saw earlier that 550 paracord worked so I just wanted to confirm.

 

Also, for an RCA cable would you guys recommend something that's shielded? I usually just do braided cables, but I haven't done RCA cables. So would it be better to leave the w2893 in its shielding/insulation rather than strip the outer layer?

 

Thanks

post #893 of 1817
The 550 that most places like supplycaptain sell will fit over the Mogami once the outside black PVC insulation layer is removed along with the shielding. You can leave the conductors twisted in the rice paper-like wrapping. Put a small piece of tape on the end to hold it on and cover the conductors to slide easier into the paracord.

You can get larger diameter paracord to go over the whole complete cable, but it will be harder to come by. You're better off picking up some nylon Multifilament for that.

Once my finals are over I'm going to make videos. I figure it will save a lot of time posting and will be easier to follow.
post #894 of 1817

I wonder if something like this could work?

And would a 3 button(apple) or 1 button inline remote work trough this?

 

                                    lead for mic bypasses amp

                 /-------------------------------\
phone - 4pin(male)                                4pin (female) -- headphones with mic
                 \--3pin(male)  AMP  3pin(male)--/ 


Edited by Whippler - 12/6/13 at 5:50am
post #895 of 1817

It would have to be before the amp, the amp would block the signal from the remote to the device.

 

Also unless the ground is common from input to output the mic won't work without a solid ground.

post #896 of 1817

Hello everybody,

 

For the first time I am going to make a headphone cable and I am noob in electronic stuffs.

 

I would know if an asymetric headphone cable:

  • must be shielded;
  • must have three conductors linked to the connector or two conductors + a ground cable;
  • can be made by different metals (copper to the cold spot, silver to the hot spot)?

 

Cordially

post #897 of 1817
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fingerling View Post

Hello everybody,

For the first time I am going to make a headphone cable and I am noob in electronic stuffs.

I would know if an asymetric headphone cable:
  • must be shielded;
  • must have three conductors linked to the connector or two conductors + a ground cable;
  • can be made by different metals (copper to the cold spot, silver to the hot spot)?

Cordially

Not sure why you want an asymmetrical cable like a 'J' cable but it doesn't have to be shielded unless you know you'll be using it in an environment that would benefit from shielding.

You'll need one conductor for the left and right channels and one for the ground for a total of 3 wires minimum for a TRS setup.

You can use different materials. (E.g.) silver for the right and left channels and copper for the ground to save money.

Hopefully I understood your questions correctly.
post #898 of 1817

Noooooooooo! :(

 

Cups are much redder in real life just FYI. lol


Edited by PXSS - 12/8/13 at 6:49pm
post #899 of 1817
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whippler View Post
 

I wonder if something like this could work?

And would a 3 button(apple) or 1 button inline remote work trough this?

 

                                    lead for mic bypasses amp

                 /-------------------------------\
phone - 4pin(male)                                4pin (female) -- headphones with mic
                 \--3pin(male)  AMP  3pin(male)--/ 

1 button type will still work only if the amp uses a real ground, not a virtual ground or 3-channel type.

This is because a 1-button shorts between mic and ground.

3 button cannot possibly work through an amp.

post #900 of 1817
Quote:
Originally Posted by PXSS View Post
 

Noooooooooo! :(

 

Cups are much redder in real life just FYI. lol

What have you done?!

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Discussions › DIY Cable Questions and Comments Thread