Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Discussions › DIY Cable Questions and Comments Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

DIY Cable Questions and Comments Thread - Page 38

post #556 of 2707

Ordered a couple of these 3.5mm plugs and they really look nice to me.

post #557 of 2707
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMinor View Post
 

Ordered a couple of these 3.5mm plugs and they really look nice to me.

 

I ordered one of those too :) from Luna, so it's gonna be a few weeks until I get them in the mail.

post #558 of 2707
Quote:
Originally Posted by cCasper TFG View Post
 

 

I ordered one of those too :) from Luna, so it's gonna be a few weeks until I get them in the mail.

Who is Luna? I bought from eBay here.

post #559 of 2707
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMinor View Post
 

Who is Luna? I bought from eBay here.

 

Hahahaha http://www.lunashops.com/

And holy cow! I paid $15 for mine and probably have to wait equally long for shipping! Dang.


Edited by cCasper TFG - 9/14/13 at 3:56am
post #560 of 2707
Quote:
Originally Posted by cCasper TFG View Post
 

 

Hahahaha http://www.lunashops.com/

And holy cow! I paid $15 for mine and probably have to wait equally long for shipping! Dang.

Thanks for the link.

 

But it says $10 including shipping tho. http://www.lunashops.com/goods.php?id=2136

 

Is Luna located in the US?

post #561 of 2707
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMinor View Post
 

Thanks for the link.

 

But it says $10 including shipping tho. http://www.lunashops.com/goods.php?id=2136

 

Is Luna located in the US?

Oh yep, it was $10, and I bought 2 sets of these DIY iem connectors http://www.lunashops.com/goods.php?id=3002 for my new Westone 4s modded to 4r.

No, not in the us. They're located in Hong kong.


Edited by cCasper TFG - 9/14/13 at 4:10am
post #562 of 2707
Quote:
Originally Posted by cCasper TFG View Post
 

Oh yep, it was $10, and I bought 2 sets of these DIY iem connectors http://www.lunashops.com/goods.php?id=3002 for my new Westone 4s modded to 4r.

No, not in the us. They're located in Hong kong.

 

Look nice. I am gonna give a shot at recabling my EX1000's when the stock cable runs out of life. It has a special type of housing (screw on). The cable doesn't sound bad but it looks boring.

post #563 of 2707
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMinor View Post
 

 

Look nice. I am gonna give a shot at recabling my EX1000's when the stock cable runs out of life. It has a special type of housing (screw on). The cable doesn't sound bad but it looks boring.

 

Why wait for the stock cable to give out? ;)

post #564 of 2707
Quote:
Originally Posted by cCasper TFG View Post
 

 

Why wait for the stock cable to give out? ;)

 

Yeah I know I know. Need to get a spare stock cable to work on it.

post #565 of 2707
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armaegis View Post

blutack/plasticine
electrical/gorilla tape
hot glue
epoxy
sugru
etc

Quote:
Originally Posted by siles1991 View Post

how about clay?

For filling in holes, epoxy works best, as it hardens the strongest and can be sanded down flush with the cups. As much as I adore Sugru, it gives too much and can't be sanded down as flush.

Air dry clay will fill the hole but tends to be much more brittle.
post #566 of 2707

The Valab connector is fantastic! I have it right here with me, I am just waiting to use it..

post #567 of 2707
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darknet View Post
 

Oh crap... thanks for everyone that's responded to my questions about the momentum re-cabling. I've been pretty busy lately so not much time for head-fi. Anyways, this is kind of an odd idea but if you drilled the hole in the momentums and replaced the 2.5mm connector with a 3.5mm connector.... wouldn't that keep the detachable cable functionality while allowing an easier change in cables? Haha just a random idea that popped up.... I somehow feel that the final product is no where near how much effort is involved, and the risks also for that matter.

 

I'd hate to see you drill into the momentums since they are so pretty.  The 2.5mm jack is PCB mounted.  Moving to a 3.5mm jack will most likely mean air wiring instead of PCB, which make things much harder to manage.  You can take yours apart to do dry fits of 3.5mm jacks.  Don't forget that you have to secure the new jack in there well.  Also, are you planning on moving the jack to the bottom of the cup (not recessed)?  If not, you will have to find an insanely narrow 3.5mm plug or use it without the shell.  Might as well just go with a 2.5mm plug at this point.

 

I think your ideas of allowing an easier change of cables is negated by how much work (that might not work or be ideal) would be needed to make it happen.  You could always hardwire a pigtail with a 3.5mm jack, allowing you to swap cables without all the surgery required to have it in the cup.

 

Unfortunately, this isn't as simple as with larger headphones with a lot of space and plastic.

post #568 of 2707
There really aren't a lot of options out there for 2.5mm plugs, especially nice looking ones.

Markertek, parts-express and the other usual suspects carry one metal shelled one similar to Ratshack and a black plastic variant.

If anyone knows of any other more sexy options, I'd like to see them.
post #569 of 2707
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfetan44 View Post
 

The Valab connector is fantastic! I have it right here with me, I am just waiting to use it..

 

I am going to use the same plug for a new LOD using the Tempo Electric silver wires. The Tempo Electric silver wires feel more flexible than other silver wires of the same AWG's I bought. Not sure if just because of the jacket.

 

BTW, why is the Oyaide Rhodium plug is more expensive and what's good about it?


Edited by DMinor - 9/15/13 at 12:39pm
post #570 of 2707
New to this, which company sells the best bang for your buck Litz wire for diy headphone cables?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Discussions › DIY Cable Questions and Comments Thread