Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Discussions › DIY Cable Questions and Comments Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

DIY Cable Questions and Comments Thread - Page 35

post #511 of 2455
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamakahah View Post


^^this. You're going to need a lot more cable if you plan on seriously starting something.

 

I don't have much money to start with since i cant find stuff like OFC or UP-OCC or Mogami 2893 or SPC, in my country only thing I could find is Canare L4E6S which I guess will be like my budget recabling it's about 3$ a meter where im at also for sleeving using paracord will cost me approx 1.7$ for each headphone with average length of 1.5m. So around 7.7$ per headphone(1.5m) before buying connectors. Than the question is, how much should I charge for the service xD

 

Would most probably order some spools of ^above(UP-OCC etc...) cables to provide as a more or less premium recabling.


Edited by siles1991 - 9/11/13 at 12:57pm
post #512 of 2455
Quote:
Originally Posted by siles1991 View Post
 

 

I don't have much money to start with since i cant find stuff like OFC or UP-OCC or Mogami 2893 or SPC, in my country only thing I could find is Canare L4E6S which I guess will be like my budget recabling it's about 3$ a meter where im at also for sleeving using paracord will cost me approx 1.7$ for each headphone with average length of 1.5m. So around 7.7$ per headphone(1.5m) before buying connectors. Than the question is, how much should I charge for the service xD

 

Would most probably order some spools of ^above(UP-OCC etc...) cables to provide as a more or less premium recabling.

 

I'm not sure what country you live in, but these guys ship worldwide and their prices are very reasonable for high end wire, just need some teflon tubing.

 

90ft 6N OCC Solid core Silver

100ft 6N OCC Copper + 24k Gold plating

 

Good luck!

post #513 of 2455

Any one have any experiances with http://www.takefiveaudio.com ?

post #514 of 2455
Quote:
Originally Posted by brunk View Post
 

 

I'm not sure what country you live in, but these guys ship worldwide and their prices are very reasonable for high end wire, just need some teflon tubing.

 

90ft 6N OCC Solid core Silver

100ft 6N OCC Copper + 24k Gold plating

 

Good luck!

 

Hope that is only for interconnects.  Solid core is a no go for headphone cables or anything else that needs to flex alot.

post #515 of 2455
Quote:
Originally Posted by noob101 View Post
 

Any one have any experiances with http://www.takefiveaudio.com ?

 

I have bought wire from them before.  Good experience.  Pretty quick shipping from Canada to me in the US.

post #516 of 2455
Quote:
Originally Posted by brunk View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by siles1991 View Post
 

 

I don't have much money to start with since i cant find stuff like OFC or UP-OCC or Mogami 2893 or SPC, in my country only thing I could find is Canare L4E6S which I guess will be like my budget recabling it's about 3$ a meter where im at also for sleeving using paracord will cost me approx 1.7$ for each headphone with average length of 1.5m. So around 7.7$ per headphone(1.5m) before buying connectors. Than the question is, how much should I charge for the service xD

 

Would most probably order some spools of ^above(UP-OCC etc...) cables to provide as a more or less premium recabling.

 

I'm not sure what country you live in, but these guys ship worldwide and their prices are very reasonable for high end wire, just need some teflon tubing.

 

90ft 6N OCC Solid core Silver

100ft 6N OCC Copper + 24k Gold plating

 

Good luck!

 

I bought some of that 100 ft. OCC Copper:D

post #517 of 2455
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfetan44 View Post
 

 

I bought some of that 100 ft. OCC Copper:D

 

Sweet! Looking forward to your results :)

 

Keep in mind it's enameled so you'll have to use a solder pot, or a razor blade to shave it off on the ends.

post #518 of 2455
Quote:
Originally Posted by brunk View Post
 

 

Sweet! Looking forward to your results :)

 

Keep in mind it's enameled so you'll have to use a solder pot, or a razor blade to shave it off on the ends.

 

Also keep in mind that it's solid core. Not sure what your plans are with it, but I can't think of a single scenario where I would want 100 ft of solid core. Let us know how it works out. 

post #519 of 2455
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamakahah View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by brunk View Post
 

 

Sweet! Looking forward to your results :)

 

Keep in mind it's enameled so you'll have to use a solder pot, or a razor blade to shave it off on the ends.

 

Also keep in mind that it's solid core. Not sure what your plans are with it, but I can't think of a single scenario where I would want 100 ft of solid core. Let us know how it works out. 

I got this one: http://www.ebay.com/itm/CLAIRVOYANT-CABLES-GOLD-OCC-BULK-WIRE-100FT-28AWG-SPECIAL-1-WEEK-PROMO-SALE-/121146661900?pt=US_Audio_Cables_Adapters&hash=item1c34e75c0c  Almost positive its stranded.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brunk View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfetan44 View Post
 

 

I bought some of that 100 ft. OCC Copper:D

 

Sweet! Looking forward to your results :)

 

Keep in mind it's enameled so you'll have to use a solder pot, or a razor blade to shave it off on the ends.

 

Yep, its coming in a matter of days:D

post #520 of 2455

How do you shield that stuff? It is conductive so you cant braid it like normal. 

post #521 of 2455
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfetan44 View Post
 

I got this one: http://www.ebay.com/itm/CLAIRVOYANT-CABLES-GOLD-OCC-BULK-WIRE-100FT-28AWG-SPECIAL-1-WEEK-PROMO-SALE-/121146661900?pt=US_Audio_Cables_Adapters&hash=item1c34e75c0c  Almost positive its stranded.

 

Yep, its coming in a matter of days:D

 

No, it is solid core, the certificate states so. I hope you weren't thinking it was stranded 

:confused_face:

post #522 of 2455
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfetan44 View Post
 

I got this one: http://www.ebay.com/itm/CLAIRVOYANT-CABLES-GOLD-OCC-BULK-WIRE-100FT-28AWG-SPECIAL-1-WEEK-PROMO-SALE-/121146661900?pt=US_Audio_Cables_Adapters&hash=item1c34e75c0c  Almost positive its stranded.

 

Yep, its coming in a matter of days:D

 

Click on the picture of the certificate. I'll quote it, "Solid Core 6N 99.9999% Pure OCC Copper"

 

Sorry man, it's solid core. 

post #523 of 2455
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvrk10256 View Post
 

How do you shield that stuff? It is conductive so you cant braid it like normal. 

 

You can buy teflon insulation and sleeve it yourself. It's just a huge PITA. 

post #524 of 2455
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvrk10256 View Post
 

How do you shield that stuff? It is conductive so you cant braid it like normal. 

 

Teflon tubing, followed by whatever optional stuff you want like copper shielding, mylar etc.

post #525 of 2455

Haha. Fun for me! Anyways, I'll cancel the order, wish they said it in the description, but I'm in the wrong here!

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Discussions › DIY Cable Questions and Comments Thread